A 4-20 Day Feast

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

A few days late I know, but I wanted to share some pictures of something I worked on last weekend for a 4-20 celebration. When I am not gardening or working on the ranch, I also work as a chef for a catering company, to give a little backround. I've been cooking since I was 8, and have been making edibles since I was barely old enough to drive so it is something that I have also had a passion for for a long time. Recently a good friend of mine (Gorilla Man), whom I used to make large quantities of edibles with in college, has started taking culinary classes and getting into baking, possibly professionally. We hatched this plan a few months ago that we should get together and have a 'weed feast'. You always see deserts and baked goods and that sort of thing, but we wanted to do a full meal that was all medicated to try to see what other sorts of methods we could make medicated food with. The result was a 4 course meal we put on for 8 friends this last Saturday in celebration of April 20th.

One issue that I've encountered in the past with edibles was potency. The amount needed to get someone stoned varies wildly and there is nothing worse that getting sick from eating too much medicated food, or not getting stoned at all. We did two things to get around this issue. First, with the exception of desert, all the recipes could have the potency easily adjusted so guests could self medicate. Second, we spaced all the courses about an hour apart so people had time for what they ate to take effect. The first course was served at 6:30 and the last one wasn't served until 10:30.

Ok time for some pics and explanations. First course was an epic Antipasto plate. Going from left to right in the fourth picture we have: black olives imported from Italy, macadamia nuts, and pickled bell pepper, white and green asparagus, onion, and cauliflower. The pickles were lacto-fermented ones I made myself over the winter and were seasoned with dried peppers from the garden and wild bay leaf. Next plate consisted of home made meats: smoked country venison sausage, made with local wild venison my friend shot last season, and tasso ham, which is pork shoulder that has been briefly cured, dredged in herbs, spices, and hot pepper, and then smoked. In the center we have some Anderson Valley Firey IPA mustard for dipping. After that we've got a bowl of assorted fresh fruits, a bowl of fresh french baguette , and then a plate with a selection of goat, buffalo, and cows milk cheeses and crackers.

Now see those two bowls off to the side? Those are the medicated sauces. The dark golden one is a Truffle Honey Oil sauce, and the light yellow one is Medicated Mendocino Mustard. Both are very simple to make, and allowed people to medicate as much or as little as they wanted. The truffle honey was made by blending together local raw honey, white truffle oil, and decarboxylated honey oil. The medicated mustard was Sweet and Spicy Mendocino Mustard with some melted ganja butter whipped in. The Truffle Honey was definitely the hit of the night - the sweet, funky truffle honey flavor mixed with the spicy, smoky flavor of the tasso ham proved to be a mind boggling cascade of flavors that was absolutely divine.

A 4 20 day feast 2
A 4 20 day feast 3
A 4 20 day feast 4
A 4 20 day feast

Blaze

Blaze

Second course consisted of a Mason Jar Smoked Salad made with Purple Haze Goat Cheese from Humboldt County. It also had baby carrots, California Mejool dates, shaved almonds, bacon, spinach, and finished with homegrown olive oil from my folks olive grove and local fig balsamic vinegar. Everyone was feeling pretty good from the first course, so we ended up making this course un-medicated by switching out the medicated dressing with the oil and vinegar. The smoked salad is a fun recipe I've been playing with since I got a little device called a 'smoke gun.' The smoke gun allows me to smoke things that would not normally be able to be smoked, and lets me inject smoke into containers, like the mason jar. With the mason jars I pour a little dressing in first, then layer in a hearty vegetable like some carrots, then the rest of the ingredients followed by the greens. The salad can sit like this in the fridge for several hours before going bad.

When it is time to serve, I fire up the smoke gun, shoot smoked into the jar, and serve. The guest opens their jar when they are ready to eat, smoke comes pouring out, adding a nice aroma and visual effect. Then the guest dumps the jar out onto the provided plate, inverting it, which makes the dressing run down over the other ingredients, dressing the salad. It makes for a fun, interactive presentation - people love watching the smoke lazily roll off their food right as they go to eat it. Even though it ended up being not medicated everyone really liked how it played off the 'stoner' theme with the mason jars, Purple Haze cheese, and smoke.

IMAG0126
IMAG0127
IMAG0125 1

Blaze

Blaze

For the third and main course we did hash pizzas. This was again, a very simple way to medicate. We ground up some lower grade bubble hash, and kneaded it into the pizza dough right before it went into the oven. For these pizzas we did 1.5 grams per pizza and I was barely able to taste it. I have gone as high as 2.5 grams per pizza and that was fairly potent. By kneading the powdered hash into the dough right before baking it, we could do some of the pizzas medicated, and some normal, so once again, each individual at the party could medicate as much or as little as desired. I like to do a thin crust style pizza, like what one would see in Italy, or a good pizza place in New York City. The best pizza I have ever had was in Rome and Venice so that is what I shoot for to duplicate with my style of pizza.

We ended up doing three different pizza recipes. First one up was what I call a "Gorilla Special" which is pesto, good fresh mozzarella, diced pineapple, fresh garlic, and crushed red pepper. Second pizza was a "Magic Forest" which was pesto, spinach, roasted red bell pepper, brie cheese, portabello mushroom, artichoke heart, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, and was garnished with aged Gouda after it came out of the oven. The idea was to make a pizza that had everything from vegetarian cuisine represented: herbs, leafy greens, fruit, fungus, flowers, seeds, and nuts. Last and final pizza I don't have a name for, I just know it's my favorite. I know it sounds weird but trust me it's the best damn pizza you will ever have: apricot preserve for the sauce, good Genoa salami layered over that, finish it with big globs of a good triple cream brie, and then garnish with fresh parsley after it comes out of the oven. Fucking amazing.

The last and final course was "The Black Beast" Flourless Chocolate Cake topped with Mango sauce. The flourless cake was made with Ghirardelli bitter-sweet chocolate, spiked with cannabutter, and then topped with a milk chocolate gnache that also had cannabutter in it. The mango sauce was pureed mango with a little lime juice and sugar mixed in. We also did a dab of whipped cream for garnish. This was the only dish that was 'fully medicated'. It is an exceptionally rich, intense dish which masks the flavor of cannabis wonderfully - I couldn't even tell it was medicated, even though it was the most potent thing on the menu. We had even planned to make the sauce a Mango Hash sauce but everyone was pretty freakin' stoned by now so we decided it to be unwarranted. Oh also mango has been shown to increase the effects of cannabis, so using it like this can actually make your dish more potent apparently, just FYI.

By the end of the night we ended up with 8 very happy, extremely full, and super high dinner guests. No one ate so much they got sick, but everyone still got baked off their ass. All in all a success! I didn't wake up until 1 PM the next day, was high as fuck still when I did wake up, and proceeded to eat some flourless chocolate cake and mango sauce for breakfast and chill out in a stoned haze the rest of the day. Good times!

IMAG0129
IMAG0130
IMAG0128
IMAG0136

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Love the smoke in the mason jars, thats a genius idea...All in all you got me feeling really hungery now! Post up any other culinary creations you happen upon...Take it easy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wouldn't have been able to make it much past the first course, but that's really something you two did there! Really impressive, and I do love pairings/tastings.

Blaze

Blaze

You're welcome at the Fort any day of the year... I'll start decarbing the hash now. :)

You should think about making a business out of this. Your talent and passion are obvious - seems like you should get paid for that. Cheers to being a good friend. ftw

Oh I do get paid for it - but not for medicated food lol. When it goes legal in Cali I might have a nice little niche carved out though.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and the kind words.

Shoot me a PM if anyone wants any of the above recipes.

Next time I think it might be fun to pair each dish wine or beer plus a specific strain to smoke. They did something like that for the release party of the Cannabibile 3 and it worked very well.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have asthma, so I have a built in reason to do more edibles. I've had poor luck though, my stuff either does nothing with 2g of hash in it (?!) Or I just go to sleep...

This is definitely something I want to keep doing, and more recipes, tips and ideas are always appreciated!

GI JO

GI JO

Wow, what a great array of recipes. Can't even imagine how much fun you must have had, your passion for food is inspiring! They just need to create a new show, "Top Chef Cannabis". We have a winner, right here on the farm:D

Blaze

Blaze

I have asthma, so I have a built in reason to do more edibles. I've had poor luck though, my stuff either does nothing with 2g of hash in it (?!) Or I just go to sleep...

This is definitely something I want to keep doing, and more recipes, tips and ideas are always appreciated!

The sleepiness is definitely a side effect. I can't eat edibles all the time, they make me too lethargic. It is a weekend thing for me. I shot ya a PM detailing some of the extract methods, that should help. If you can eat 2 grams of hash and not feel it something is not quite right - that or you have a crazy tolerance to edibles.

Blaze

Blaze

Wow, what a great array of recipes. Can't even imagine how much fun you must have had, your passion for food is inspiring! They just need to create a new show, "Top Chef Cannabis". We have a winner, right here on the farm:D

Hey, you never know. A chef friend of mine is working on a medicated cooking show right now in fact. It should be out later this year.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I think its great you chose to not medicate everything and let the participants decide,i love weed but when i eat it either nothing happens or i end up on the floor spinning and throwing up,lol.Ill smoke mine,thank you very much and then ill enjoy the feast you made,it looks delicious.

Blaze

Blaze

I think its great you chose to not medicate everything and let the participants decide,i love weed but when i eat it either nothing happens or i end up on the floor spinning and throwing up,lol.Ill smoke mine,thank you very much and then ill enjoy the feast you made,it looks delicious.

It takes practice to dial in you dosage of edibles. First you have to get consistent on how you make your extracts. Then you have to get consistent with your recipes that you use the extracts in. Then you have to account for all the other random factors, like if you eat them on an empty stomach, or after a big meal, or with some alcohol. Then after all that, you have to consider that edibles shoot your tolerance up really fast (or at least they do for me) so even the next day the same amount won't always get me the same effect. I know my recipes and my body and mind well enough now to get my dosage where I want it most of the time but it did take a while of me eating them regularly and really paying attention to how it affected me.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Keep us posted on that cooking show:cool:
I second this, For sure!

The sleepiness is definitely a side effect. I can't eat edibles all the time, they make me too lethargic. It is a weekend thing for me. I shot ya a PM detailing some of the extract methods, that should help. If you can eat 2 grams of hash and not feel it something is not quite right - that or you have a crazy tolerance to edibles.

I think I failed to get it hot and activate it. I read through what you sent, thank you so much! I'm going to have to study, there's a lot in there. Stoked to make me some butter!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
He's been educated by some of the best chefs I know, too. Talk about an apt student! Thing is, I know the charcuterie had to have been started months ago, if not last year, and that's just the beginning of how much time must have been put into that meal.
Hey, you never know. A chef friend of mine is working on a medicated cooking show right now in fact. It should be out later this year.
Is it our dear NY friend? I hear the couple is coming out for the R,W,&Blues gig for the 4th. Good thing we've got our little travel trailer all fixed up, with A/C & shower, ready to rock & go.

Top Bottom