A battle lost against micro bore

• Thread starter Bema
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bema

Bema

The back story: We're off to the sun in a couple of weeks and I'm leaving my first grown (ever) in the hands of my kids, who are both in their twenties and reasonably reliable provided it's not too much hassle. To that end, rather than have each plant watered using a watering can, I'd like a simple system: water with 'x' gallons of water (and feed) and all the plants are fed and watered.

On my shopping round I saw it: greenhouse watering system: only £3.99 and had a length of 5mm microbore pipe and all the connectors and drip connectors. Naively I brought it home, read the instructions, emptied my grow room, ran a supported ring around my grow room that sloped from the inlet to the final connector. T pieces and drip nozzles added to the end of each spur. My plan was to use a siphon to supply the water. It sort of worked for the first three drip nozzles of 8 and there was a range of delivery volumes, some dripped other had a stream of water. I decided it must be a lack of pressure. 🤓

Out came the pump, it was connected, turned on and nothing really improved. Now I was pissed off having wasted hours and hours of time. I ripped out the system and I decided to simple🤓: One 5mm tube with little holes made with a hot 1mm wire that was laid on the top of the plant pots. Emptied the grow room once more and variable amounts delivered, with or without the pump.

Back to the house fuming :fire::fire::fire:🤬🤬😡....surely something so simple does not need to be so difficult.

Using push-fit 15mm plastic pipe, I made a 6' x 8" rectangle that rested on the tops of all the pots. The 15mm pipe was marked and a 2mm hole was drilled on the underside of this rectangle. The water would come out of these holes and into the soil of the pot. An additional 'T' with a short length of pipe was added and this is where water can be poured into the system. And VOILA! it worked. 👍 A funnel and simple instructions......

Who said diameter did not matter?😱😱

Cheap microbore is not my friend (you can still see it in the photos below, but I'll cut it out shortly)

A battle lost against micro bore

A battle lost against micro bore 2

Reactions: Ina
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i pretty much done same thing with 3/4 in pvc,built manifolds for my bottom garden,hook up and same thing,first full section of pipe watered great the rest trickle or nothing,even checked water pressure from house and accounted for it being 100ft of water hose,pressure from house and end of 200 ft hose was the same,so this is past spring into first of summer,im pissed as hell and cant figure it out,so the wife was with me that day and i went to rip that shit out,hell i was hand watering anyway,had the hose hooked to a 30 ft section and front half all good,nothing down the hill so i was taking wire holding them up on a trelisse and damn thing started working,what the hell,got a level out and from start of run went down hill and the pipe was at 3ft above the box on bottom end,got 6 cases of purple hull peas from that 30 ft box this year,so some thing so simple is shunned off because of complacents if you dig,leveled all those boxs and all the manifolds worked great,gonna up grade to a main line going all around the 50x50 garden,and put t in were i need them every 2 ft hahahah

Top Bottom