a/c unit in a tent,can any 1 help?

• Thread starter mr english
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mr english

i`m setting up a 10 x 10 and 8 x8 secret jardin grow rooms,i know where i`m going 2 place everthing except the a/c unit,would like 2 know if any of u guys have any experience with doing this if so your suggestions would b greatly appreciated

thanks

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

have mine inside my tent,takes up some space,but didn't have another option

S

SCC

Premium Member
Supporter
Why not use a portable outside the room attach a hose from the cold air outlet into one of the vents on the secret jardin, that's how i set one up.

E

ent

i use a window A/C unit. i duct the cool air into the tents.

IMG_7923_resized.JPG

inside my tents i vent the hoods, but in a closed loop system (so i can supplement co2 still). so i connected the ducting for the hoods to the back of the window A/C unit. used some cardboard and duct tape to seal it up. the hot air from the a/c goes through this ducting, through 5 hoods and then vented to the atmosphere outside of the grow room. in the cardboard i used to seal up the hot exhaust air, i put some slits in there, so there is more air flow with less restriction. the negative pressure keeps the hot air from escaping through these slits/vents.

IMG_7925_resized.JPG

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

it vents outside into my garage,does give off some smell,i just use some air fresheners to cover up the smell placed right in front of the exhaust,lights are still air cooled and have an air filter hooked up too...."ent" looks to have a good way of doing it!! good luck

E

edux10

IMG_7923_resized.JPG

what about the vent on the front of the A/c? I always thought you couldnt really duct like this because the a/c usually takes air from the room in thru the front then blows out conditioned air out the front too, in the back it takes in air to run the compressor and exhausts air to run the compressor out the back, maybe my portable is different.

My portable has 2 ducts out the back, one for fresh air from outside and one to exhaust air outside, then the ac has a spot where the conditioned air comes out and then a spot where it takes in air from the room (not outside like the other). I have to clean the room intake regularly. So i pretty much have to put this portable ac in the room if i wanted. Right now i have it outside my tent in hopes it will just cool everything in the room.

E

ent

IMG_7923_resized.JPG

what about the vent on the front of the A/c? I always thought you couldnt really duct like this because the a/c usually takes air from the room in thru the front then blows out conditioned air out the front too, in the back it takes in air to run the compressor and exhausts air to run the compressor out the back, maybe my portable is different.

My portable has 2 ducts out the back, one for fresh air from outside and one to exhaust air outside, then the ac has a spot where the conditioned air comes out and then a spot where it takes in air from the room (not outside like the other). I have to clean the room intake regularly. So i pretty much have to put this portable ac in the room if i wanted. Right now i have it outside my tent in hopes it will just cool everything in the room.

you are correct. it would be even more efficient to duct the air from within the tents back to the front of the a/c where the filter resides. but as it is the hot air is being removed, it just has to take in ambient temp air through the intake, instead of already conditioned air, as it was designed. i give up this efficiency for additional room in the tents. the window air units aren't the most efficient to begin with either.

M

mr english

Why not use a portable outside the room attach a hose from the cold air outlet into one of the vents on the secret jardin, that's how i set one up.

yes thought about it, would b the easiest option,i could just stand it in the corner,but a lot of the guys on here give bad reports on them,seems 2 b a lot of issues with them breaking down.

how long have u run with 1 and what make is it?

thanks

M

mr english

i use a window A/C unit. i duct the cool air into the tents.

IMG_7923_resized.JPG

inside my tents i vent the hoods, but in a closed loop system (so i can supplement co2 still). so i connected the ducting for the hoods to the back of the window A/C unit. used some cardboard and duct tape to seal it up. the hot air from the a/c goes through this ducting, through 5 hoods and then vented to the atmosphere outside of the grow room. in the cardboard i used to seal up the hot exhaust air, i put some slits in there, so there is more air flow with less restriction. the negative pressure keeps the hot air from escaping through these slits/vents.

IMG_7925_resized.JPG

great info ent, thanks for the pictures and details,unfortunately i can`t run a window unit i`m looking 2 run a lg inverter unit just not sure how 2 mount the indoor unit in the tent.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
i would also like to hear any and all advice about running a portable ac..right now my hoods are vented,but one ends open to also exhaust the air in the tent..i know this will have to be changed to be efficient...any and all advice on the portable ac would be great

Oldmustang

Oldmustang

AC help

try this. I built the same for my room, spent maybe $125 total and does the job nicely. I tried 3 different portable units and they weren't worth a crap, this takes care of 2 600's in a 10 x 10 room. the 4" in front is the fresh air feed from outside and the 6"vents heat out into my attic

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95491

Ac n box nvents
S

Sway

Get a split unit and build a stand for the handler to mount to. Done and done

it will out perform anything mentioned here and u won't have to buy another unit for a very long time if u get a good one.

If u hang it be sure to add support to the roof of the tent.

I have 6kw lighting and a 18kbtu split unit in a secret jardin 10x10. Works beautifully.

Time to get serious and buy a real Ac. Its the most important aspect of your garden so don't rig up crap to make it work inefficient. Spend the money and do it right the first time.

Top Bottom