A compassion club, that is actually compassionate to patients!

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MediMary

I would love some feedback both positive or negative.

Wholesale prices of cannabis have fallen from the grower. The problem I have is compassion clubs just don't seem all that compassionate charging 50 an eighth.

I am in the process of applying to be a producer of cannabis in my state (NM), and would like to setup a framework that works well for the patients.
There is the current model which most states have, and IMO isn't really modeled to help the patients get their meds at an affordable rate, then in Oregon you got stormy Ray, which is another extreme.

I kinda want to have something right in the middle.

again, any feedback would be appreciated.

All positions besides grower & security are 100% voluntary.
Grower and Security shall be paid hourly, instead of salary( there will be a salary cap for the year as well), and shall be paid a reasonable fee.

At the end of each harvest, production costs for the grow will be tallied. An estimate of how much money will be needed for the next grow will be figured and set towards the next grow, and the cannabis will be sold at cost to the patients of new mexico, if at the end of the year there is any surplus of cash, that will also be distributed back to the patients.
Patients will have the option to buy cannabis manicured, or non manicured non manicured being significantly cheaper.

All patients will receive a copy of expense for them too look over, to see where the money is going.

Articles of Incorporation and ByLaws determine how a company is to be operated am I not correct, so having the points I mentioned included in the framework of the company will set the company up in a way that it is providing cannabis at the cheapest possibly price to the patients of NM.
Another thought I had is, the board of directors can not change the bylaws of the company, without a majority vote of the patients that are registered with the company.

What Do You Guys Think??
Any Ideas or Input is welcome. I don't plan on living in NM much longer, so here is one of my parting gifts, my shot at improving an already pretty good system.

BYLAWS
OF
CANNABIS AT COST

A NEW MEXICO NON-PROFIT CORPORATION

Article I
Name and Principal Office

The name of the Corporation is CANNABIS AT COST (hereinafter the “Corporation”). The principal office of the Corporation shall be located in the City of ________ and County of __________________, State of New Mexico. The Corporation’s registered office shall be located in New Mexico at the address of the Corporation’s registered agent.

Article II
Purpose and Objectives
The Corporation is organized and incorporated under the laws of the State of New Mexico as a non-profit corporation with no part of its income or profit to be distributable to any director or officer. The purposes of this organization shall be:
• to operate a non-profit entity to facilitate the legal production and distribution of medical cannabis solely in compliance with and pursuant to the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act in the most affordable way possible, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978 and other similar laws, as the same exist or may hereafter be amended, to ensure the safe production, distribution and dispensing of medicinal cannabis for the sole purpose of medical use for alleviating symptoms caused by debilitating conditions.
• to ensure medicinal cannabis is accessible in New Mexico in a manner that is consistent with the highest standard of care, including but not limited to ensuring access to a variety of strains,
• to produce and distribute an adequate supply of high quality, organic, medical cannabis to qualified patients or primary caregivers in New Mexico as defined in the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978, for the sole purpose of medical use, and
• to deliver medical cannabis to New Mexico qualified patients or primary caregivers, as defined in the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978, for the sole purpose of medical use, in a safe and supportive method or environment.
The above shall not be considered to restrict in any way the carrying on of any lawful activities of the corporation, so long as such activities are not in contravention of the purposes set forth in the Articles of Incorporation.

Article III
Members
The corporation shall have members who are currently in compliance with the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act and registered patients in the New Mexico Cannabis Program. Any member is automatically enrolled in the Advisory Board, but may be taken off if they so ask.

Article IV
Board of Directors
Section 1. Management. All corporate powers shall be exercised by or under the authority of the Board of Directors. The business and affairs of the Corporation shall be managed under the direction of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall have the general management and control of the activities and affairs of the Corporation and shall exercise the powers that may be exercised or performed by the Corporation under the laws of the State of New Mexico and the United States, these Bylaws, and the Articles of Incorporation.

Section 2. Number and Voting Rights. The number of the directors of the corporation shall be set by resolution of the Board of Directors from time to time, but shall not be less than six (6) persons. Only the President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer of the Corporation shall be voting members of the Board of Directors, and shall constitute the “Executive Board”. These three Directors shall have one vote each on any matter that comes before the Board. The other non-voting members of the Board of Directors or the “Advisory Board” shall include at least one (1) physician, a nurse, or other health care provider, and three (3) patients currently qualified under the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act.

Section 3. Advisory Board Members
The Advisory Board is comprised of the non-voting members of the Board of Directors, and shall include at the minimum one (1) physician, nurse, or other health care provider, and three (3) patients currently qualified under the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer appoint the members of the advisory board. They will serve either two or three year terms and may serve successive terms. The Advisory Board supports and advises the officers or the Corporation. The patient Advisory Board members will provide advice and counsel on the needs and desires of the corporation’s client base. The health care provider Advisory Board member will provide advice and counsel on medical and health safety issues. Advisory Board members will stay informed and consult with peer patients statewide and advise the Corporation of ways to improve its operation. The Advisory Board shall be comprised of a group who represent the essence of the corporation – those who are aware of and touched by the need for medical cannabis. All travel and expenses related to attending meetings of the Corporation will be paid by the Corporation.

Section 4. Executive Board Members. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer of the Corporation are the only voting members of the Board and shall be the “Executive Board” members. All three (3) members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum. All three(3) positions are non paying positions, and are 100% voluntary.
Section 5. Regular Meetings. Regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at least once per year, and more often if necessary, at a time and place agreed upon by a majority of the Board of Directors. Notice of the time and place of the time and place of the meeting shall be mailed to each member at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting. Directors may waive such notice. Attendance constitutes waiver of notice. Unless otherwise determined by the Executive Board, the annual meeting shall be on _______________________ (e.g.: the third Tuesday of February) each year.
Section 6. Removal or Resignation. Any member of the Board of Directors may be removed at any time for any reason by a majority vote of the Executive Board. Any Director may resign at any time. Such resignation shall be made in writing, and shall take effect at the time specified therein, if not specified upon its receipt by the President.
Section 7. Committees. The Board of Directors may create committees as needed. Committees composed of such members of the Advisory and/or the Executive Board as the Executive Board may deem necessary or advisable from time to time.
Section 8. Action without Meeting. Any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting if all three (3) members of the Executive Board of Directors consent thereto in writing and such writing is filed with the minutes of the Board of Directors meetings. Email and other electronic measures are considered valid written consent.
Section 9. Compensation. The Executive Board of Directors may establish reasonable compensation for one (1) grower, and security for grower consisting of no more than two (2) people. Compensation shall be set at 15.00$, and changes to compensation must be approved by the advisory board. Any director is not precluded from serving the Corporation in any other capacity as a grower or security and therefore receiving compensation. Each director shall also be entitled to be reimbursed by the Corporation for travel expenses. No directors for either the executive board, or advisory board shall be compensated financially for work done for the company, unless said employee is working as a grower/security, all other work is considered 100% voluntary.

Article V
Officers of the Corporation
Section 1. Election of Officers. The officers shall consist of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary and shall be appointed by the Executive Board at the annual meeting and shall serve until the next annual meeting or until their successors are appointed. A person may hold more than one office concurrently.
President. The President shall be the chief executive officer of the Corporation. The President, unless some other person is specifically authorized by the Board of Directors, shall sign all contracts of the Corporation. The President shall perform all the duties and possess such powers commonly incident to such office and shall perform other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
Vice President. The Vice President shall assist the President and shall in the event of death of the President, or of his inability from any cause to act, perform the duties of the President.
Secretary. The Secretary shall: a) keep the minutes of the Board of Directors' meetings; b) see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these Bylaws; c) be custodian of the corporate records; and d) in general perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary and such other duties as may be assigned by the President, Vice President, or the Board of Directors.
Treasurer. The Treasurer shall have custody of all monies and securities of the Corporation; shall keep books of accounts; and shall submit them, together with all vouchers, receipts, records and other papers, to the Directors for their examination and approval as often as they may require; shall perform other duties incident to such office as may be assigned by the President, Vice President, or the Board of Directors.

Article VI
Dissolution
Upon dissolution of the Corporation, the Board of Directors shall, after paying and making provision for the payment from Corporation assets of all liabilities of the Corporation, dispose of all the remaining assets of the Corporation, for the purposes of the Corporation in such manner, or to such qualifying organization or organizations as the Board of Directors shall determine; all in accordance with the provisions of the New Mexico Nonprofit Corporation Act. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by a court of competent jurisdiction for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine.

Article VII
Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Corporation shall be the twelve-month period ending December 31 of each year.

Article VIII
Amendments
All bylaws of the Corporation shall be subject to alteration, amendment, or repeal, and new bylaws may be added, by the affirmative vote of the voting members of the Patients Advisory Board at any regular or special meeting.

CERTIFICATION
These Bylaws were approved at a meeting of the Executive Board of Directors by a unanimous vote on ____________ ___, 2010.

__________________________________________________ ___________ Secretary Date

M

MediMary

I need to work on the wording for the advisory board, the executive board would run the company as outlined in the articles of incorporation and bylaws and can not deviate from the gameplant setforth, now to change the bylaws or articles of incorporation, the executive board would have to get approval from the advisory board(the patients). This sets up some checks and balances between both patients and producer.

At harvest time, the grower and his security guard cut down everything, the majority of cannabis is will just have the fan leaves removed,but will still need to be manicured, there would also be a small amount the is manicured for people who would be unable to trim it themselves due to health issues.
I think most people who are on a fixed income would rather get 1.5 grams for 4.00$ then pay 13.00$ for 1.0 of trimmed bud.
Grams would be sold fat to offshoot the extra trim left on the bud(which some companies even charge for)

The growers Security would also distribute the cannabis.

And the end of harvest I would like patients who are registered with the company, to have the option to come volunter to help with trimming or cleaning/ or possibly pay them, it would be nice if the patients who want to help could make a little money on the side.

whats everyones opinion, should the patients volunteer for trimming, or be paid/given a credit towards cannabis.

Still working out the details, looking for input from fellow patients =)

To help patients as well, I think CANNABIS AT COST should do instructional videos on its website, that patients can view, with videos and instructions, the company is also to furnish
CANNABIS AT COST is to distribute nonrooted cuttings for free of mothers plants, and rooted cuttings shall no be more than 10.00$.
CANNABIS AT COST SHALL also setup a small area for breeding, and will give away seeds to patients for free, when you breed a cannabis plant, you get thousands of seeds.

alfonso, do you think 20.00$ would be better for the grower, and 15.00$ for security?
On the business side of it, I would have to hire an accountant, but he would be separate from the company, and not a direct employee.

I personally don't envision any problems with actually managing or running the grow itself with just two people, the most work would actually be the trimming and manicuring.
I can honestly say I spend more time trimming my cannabis at the end of each harvest, than it even takes me to grow the stuff,lol.

Trimming is long tedious work. but that labor is only going to be needed once every 4 months. so if the patients could pick up some of the extra slack, things would be sweet.
This model may not last once i leave, but ohwell there will be other producers doing it the current way, im not saying they should change, and if this idea does take maybe other like minded indivduals like myself will keep it going, or someone else will start a similar company.

Everything else with my experience should be pretty routine, I can also teach a variety of patients, and maybe when I leave, a patient who I have taught can take over the position.

A

alfonso2002

medi that sounds better but still I think If only 2 are doing all the work and producing they should be compensated accordingly. Don't think the patients would mind trimming it themselves.Sounds good to have patients help do some trimming it would be good therapy for some.

M

MediMary

what do you think they should be compenstated? do you think the grower and security should recieve the same amount of compensation?

Do you think if patients help with manicuring and trimming they should be paid, either cash/ or a credit towards free cannabis.

or should the patients just volunteer?

A

alfonso2002

No the grower should paid more for the fact that without grower no product. as far as how much depends on how much money is there. I don't think a little bonus would not be bad for the volunteers. credit or a couple of buds.

M

MediMary

how about 30.00$ an hour for grower, 20.00$ for security, and patients who volunteer get credit of 15.00$ an hour for helping trim, to be redeemable in cannabis once dried.?

M

MediMary

as a patient, would you personally rather be paid in money or cannabis for work you do?

A

alfonso2002

cannabis Under this model where the object is as low a price to the patients as can be I would be willing to volunteer my time

M

MediMary

A fellow new mexican sent me this message, pretty much exactly what you said.

"I'd pay the grower and security only. If patients want to volunteer to trim some buds, then they're doing just that, volunteering. The grower and security can handle all the trimming necessary, and will be paid accordingly by the corporation."

T

theguapo

It seems like a very philanthropic/charitable way of approaching this. As a consumer/patient I say it sounds like a great idea but as a business owner I say no way! Business owners need to make money to survive! If you can devote all of your time to production and maintenance and still earn enough to live with this proposed method then more power to you. Good luck!

M

MediMary

I was thinking either 25.00$ for grower 20.00$ for security.
or 30.00$ for the grower, and 25.00$ for security.
What do you think??

If we were in another state I would go with 30.00$, but the cost of living is so low in NM, I figured 25.00$ is pretty good money plus there is the bonus doing something to help others.,
I originally said 15.00$ for both grower/security but everyone said that was to low to keep a good person on.
:animbong:

I already have volunteers who will be on the executive board of directors, and don't mind working for free so patients can get their meds at a lower prices. I would only need 3 volunteers a year, and there are about 3000 patients, so I figure there is a good chance it will happen.

The grower and his security will be doing most the work, so I figure they should be the only ones who are paid.

With the executive directors being patients, who are not compensated there is no worries about them trying to get their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak.

And by having the patient advisory board as the only ones who can change the fixed compensation setup in the original bylaws and art of inc. its sets up checks and balances between producer and patient.
So one day the excutive board can't have a meeting in private, saying each executive board members should be paid 200k a year, because the patients are the only ones who can approve changes to the bylaws when it comes to compensation.
(tell me that isn't a great model for the patients):bong2:

Honestly I think this production models is one of the best ideas I have ever came up with.

A accountant will also be hired, but is not a direct employee.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i would include into the AT COST pricing a percentage that is part of the operating expenses as expansion to save up for a trimmer if your operation is that large. depending on the size of the operation and the number of patients a small increase in price of say 5-10% may pay for a trimmer in no time. being transparent about this would increase the understanding of the additional cost and it could be waived for those that can verify they can not afford the increase. in a few harvests time when you own a trimmer the process will become faster and you would have saved everyone some headache.

also i would never pay in cash when i could pay in credit. keeping the funds within your network is important cash flow makes the business work. now that's under the assumption the compensation amount being provided to a temp employee does not drastically exceed the amount of medicine they need.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

whoa i just read 3000 patients. man if each chipped in just $5 once you could get a great trimmer! a one time fee of $5 appended to their next purchase and the problem is solved! now you dont have a million people touching the product you just need a few to push it through the trimmer.

M

MediMary

Great idea on the trimmer, I will set aside a portion of money each harvest to purchase one, I was thinking of selling unmanicured cannabis to patients who would like a lower priced item.

Here is what I have as of today, section 9 & 10 is what needs a little work.

I will be leaving new mexico pretty soon back to hawaii(within a year).
So trying to set some things up in stone, so when Im gone the company continues to provide cannabis at a reasonable price, as I won't be involved with it anymore.
I

BYLAWS
OF
CANNABIS AT COST

A NEW MEXICO NON-PROFIT CORPORATION

Article I
Name and Principal Office

The name of the Corporation is ______________________ (hereinafter the “Corporation”). The principal office of the Corporation shall be located in the City of ________ and County of __________________, State of New Mexico. The Corporation’s registered office shall be located in New Mexico at the address of the Corporation’s registered agent.

Article II
Purpose and Objectives
The Corporation is organized and incorporated under the laws of the State of New Mexico as a non-profit corporation with no part of its income or profit to be distributable to any director or officer. The purposes of this organization shall be:
• to operate a non-profit entity to facilitate the legal production and distribution of medical cannabis solely in compliance with and pursuant to the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978 and other similar laws, as the same exist or may hereafter be amended, to ensure the safe production, distribution and dispensing of medicinal cannabis for the sole purpose of medical use for alleviating symptoms caused by debilitating conditions.
• to ensure medicinal cannabis is accessible in New Mexico in a manner that is consistent with the highest standard of care, including but not limited to ensuring access to a variety of strains,
• to produce and distribute an adequate supply of high quality, organic, medical cannabis to qualified patients or primary caregivers in New Mexico as defined in the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978, for the sole purpose of medical use, and
• to deliver medical cannabis to New Mexico qualified patients or primary caregivers, as defined in the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, Sec. 26-2B-1 et seq. NMSA 1978, for the sole purpose of medical use, in a safe and supportive method or environment.
The above shall not be considered to restrict in any way the carrying on of any lawful activities of the corporation, so long as such activities are not in contravention of the purposes set forth in the Articles of Incorporation.

Article III
Members
The corporation shall have no members and shall not be a membership organization. However to facilitate compliance with the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, the corporation may designate individual clients and entities as “members”, not withstanding the foregoing, no such individual or entity has any of the rights or privileges of a member as set forth in the New Mexico Nonprofit Corporation Act, including, but not limited to voting rights.

Article IV
Board of Directors
Section 1. Management. All corporate powers shall be exercised by or under the authority of the Board of Directors. The business and affairs of the Corporation shall be managed under the direction of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall have the general management and control of the activities and affairs of the Corporation and shall exercise the powers that may be exercised or performed by the Corporation under the laws of the State of New Mexico and the United States, these Bylaws, and the Articles of Incorporation.

Section 2. Number and Voting Rights. The number of the directors of the corporation shall be set by resolution of the Board of Directors from time to time, but shall not be less than six (6) persons. Only the President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer of the Corporation shall be voting members of the Board of Directors, and shall constitute the “Executive Board”. These three Directors shall have one vote each on any matter that comes before the Board. The other non-voting members of the Board of Directors or the “Advisory Board” shall include at least one (1) physician, a nurse, or other health care provider, and three (3) patients currently qualified under the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act.

Section 3. Advisory Board Members
The Advisory Board is comprised of the non-voting members of the Board of Directors, and shall include at the minimum one (1) physician, nurse, or other health care provider, and three (3) patients currently qualified under the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer appoint the members of the advisory board. They will serve either two or three year terms and may serve successive terms. The Advisory Board supports and advises the officers or the Corporation. The patient Advisory Board members will provide advice and counsel on the needs and desires of the corporation’s client base. The health care provider Advisory Board member will provide advice and counsel on medical and health safety issues. Advisory Board members will stay informed and consult with peer patients statewide and advise the Corporation of ways to improve its operation. The Advisory Board shall be comprised of a group who represent the essence of the corporation – those who are aware of and touched by the need for medical cannabis.

Section 4. Executive Board Members. The President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer of the Corporation are the only voting members of the Board and shall be the “Executive Board” members. All three (3) members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
Section 5. Regular Meetings. Regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at least once per year, and more often if necessary, at a time and place agreed upon by a majority of the Board of Directors. Notice of the time and place of the time and place of the meeting shall be mailed to each member at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting. Directors may waive such notice. Attendance constitutes waiver of notice. Unless otherwise determined by the Executive Board, the annual meeting shall be on _______________________ (e.g.: the third Tuesday of February) each year.
Section 6. Removal or Resignation. Any member of the Board of Directors may be removed at any time for any reason by a majority vote of the Executive Board. Any Director may resign at any time. Such resignation shall be made in writing, and shall take effect at the time specified therein, if not specified upon its receipt by the President.
Section 7. Committees. The Board of Directors may create committees as needed. Committees composed of such members of the Advisory and/or the Executive Board as the Executive Board may deem necessary or advisable from time to time.
Section 8. Action without Meeting. Any action required or permitted to be taken at any meeting of the Board of Directors may be taken without a meeting if all three (3) members of the Executive Board of Directors consent thereto in writing and such writing is filed with the minutes of the Board of Directors meetings. Email and other electronic measures are considered valid written consent.
Section 9. Compensation of Directors. The Executive Board of Directors will establish reasonable compensation to the directors for their services to the Corporation. This will be $25.00 an hour for the President, $20.00 an hour for the Vice-President and $20.00 an hour for the Secretary/Treasurer. These Directors will function as the only paid employees of the Corporation. In addition, any changes to the by-laws affecting wages and compensation must be voted on by both the Executive and the Advisory Board.
Any director is not precluded from serving the Corporation in any other capacity as an officer, agent, or otherwise and therefore receiving compensation. Each director shall also be entitled to be reimbursed by the Corporation for travel expenses.
Section 10. Company Sales. The medical cannabis will be sold to patients at lowest possible price. This price will be established after determining company operating expenses, necessary equipment maintenance and upgrades, and compensation of worker’s labor. Any company profits are to be returned to the patients in the form of cash, gift cards, or vouchers.

Article V
Officers of the Corporation
Section 1. Election of Officers. The officers shall consist of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary and shall be appointed by the Executive Board at the annual meeting and shall serve until the next annual meeting or until their successors are appointed. A person may hold more than one office concurrently.
President. The President shall be the chief executive officer of the Corporation. The President, unless some other person is specifically authorized by the Board of Directors, shall sign all contracts of the Corporation. The President shall perform all the duties and possess such powers commonly incident to such office and shall perform other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors. The President shall be responsible for all aspects of the production of cannabis.
Vice President. The Vice President shall assist the President and shall in the event of death of the President, or of his inability from any cause to act, perform the duties of the President. The Vice President shall act as security to the President.
Secretary. The Secretary shall: a) keep the minutes of the Board of Directors' meetings; b) see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these Bylaws; c) be custodian of the corporate records; and d) in general perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary and such other duties as may be assigned by the President, Vice President, or the Board of Directors.
Treasurer. The Treasurer shall have custody of all monies and securities of the Corporation; shall keep books of accounts; and shall submit them, together with all vouchers, receipts, records and other papers, to the Directors for their examination and approval as often as they may require; shall perform other duties incident to such office as may be assigned by the President, Vice President, or the Board of Directors.

Article VI
Dissolution
Upon dissolution of the Corporation, the Board of Directors shall, after paying and making provision for the payment from Corporation assets of all liabilities of the Corporation, dispose of all the remaining assets of the Corporation, for the purposes of the Corporation in such manner, or to such qualifying organization or organizations as the Board of Directors shall determine; all in accordance with the provisions of the New Mexico Nonprofit Corporation Act. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by a court of competent jurisdiction for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine.

Article VII
Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Corporation shall be the twelve-month period ending December 31 of each year.

Article VIII
Indemnification
The Corporation shall indemnify any and all of its Directors or Officers, or former Directors or Officers, or any person who may have served at its request as a Director or Officer, against expenses actually and necessarily incurred by them in connection with the defense of any action, suit or proceeding in which they, or any of them are made parties, or a party by reason of their being or having been Directors or Officers of the Corporation, except in relation to matters as to which any such Director or Officer or former Director or Officer shall be adjudged in such action or proceeding to be liable for gross negligence or willful misconduct in the performance of such duty. Such indemnification shall not be deemed exclusive of any rights to which those indemnified may be entitled, under any bylaws, agreement, vote of members or otherwise.

Article XIV
Amendments
All bylaws of the Corporation shall be subject to alteration, amendment, or repeal, and new bylaws may be added, by the affirmative vote of the voting members of the Board of Directors at any regular or special meeting.

CERTIFICATION
These Bylaws were approved at a meeting of the Executive Board of Directors by a unanimous vote on ____________ ___, 2010.

_____________________________________________________________ Secretary Date

M

MediMary

I was also thinking of putting a salary cap per year for the president/vp/ sec/treasurer. But not sure how much it should be, or if thats even a good idea.

The Joker

The Joker

You should also add between 15 -25 percent for unseen costs. As a contractor, I estimate jobs at time and materials plus 15 % for the things you can't foresee. I've never NOT used that 15 %. Another 25% is for a rainy day. ( In my case, it's profit) What if you lose a crop due to pestilence or thieves. You need to have cash saved to insure you can pay your insurance, rent , utilities and payroll in the time it takes you to get another crop going.

I've been dealing with a coop in Berkeley run by moronic hippies who are stoned all the time and have endless excuses for why they can't get it together. Bad record keeping, bad accounting etc. Their outdoor and indoor got busted by the feds and they are in deep shit because they had no clue how to run a business.

They've been taken over by new management who is running a tight ship. It's great and suddenly everything is better. The guy is passionate about MMJ, but ran a successful business before he was involved. It shows.

Even if you are non profit. You need to run it like a business. A smart business operates at the lowest cost and saves money for bad times. Rule of thumb is that you should have enough money to run your business for a year with no income.

So, your budget should include savings that cover your unforeseen costs and disaster.

Nothing ever goes according to plan and your budget should reflect that.

Also , you are only as good as your people. If you need to pay more money to weed out the rif raff do it. One stellar worker who gets paid twice as much as a slacker is worth three slackers.

I did a job where we were a second tier subcontractor in Florida. Our hourly was more than 3 x what they were paying there other workers. After two weeks when they did the math, 3 of us were getting more production done and making them more money than their 6 person crew. You get what you pay for. Don't set wages in stone if it costs you someone who you can rely on without worry.

T

Trek

Many corporations, non-profits included, require their employees, officers, and to a lesser extent directors to be bonded and have a liability insurance policy that covers them in the performance of their duties. You might want to address this topic in your bylaws and ensure any such expense is calculated into your price structure.

R

Relaxed420

Great idea, I had a patient run garden going for a bit, going to see what I can do to get it going again. The basic premises is very similar to what you are talking about only patients pay a 'cycle fee' and for that fee (it was $400 based on my model) the patients could participate up to 3 times a week based on pre-scheduled days in the growing, learning, maintenance, trimming, ect

H

herb

I am a grower for a non profit here in N.M. and one thing you must learn is anonymity. Living in Denver Colo. i learned first hand that crooks will take your life for weed. My legal dealer was murdered at his compassionate club that I would score my weed from. Once crooks discover you are growing you are a big target for thieves. Yes we have full time security, top of the line survaillance and we still fear for our lives knowing that there is always someone that will take your life to support thier habit whatever it may be. We have a very strict no tell policy that even lifelong friends that would be quick to volenteer to trim have no idea we grow and sell meds. There is one very crazy dude that runs a non profit and is quick to show his face on the nightly news telling everyone he is the #1 grower in N.M. but obviously he must live in a crime free town like Mayberry since he dont care much for his safety and that of his family. We had a fair outdoor harvest of 350 lbs this past summer and had two trimpros going full time. We were putting the plants straight to the trimpros once they were cut. We bought trimmers since our 25lb indoor grow took a couple of weeks to trim by hand and that totally sucked. For your safety and that of your co workers keep everything on the down low and work extra hard to stay alive. Sell your weed with fan leaves and all for a reduced price if you want to help out the poor.
Just my 2 c's. Good luck

Top Bottom