A couple of my buds are turning brown

• Thread starter hd1975shovel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hd1975shovel

Total newbie here, hoping to get some advice on some buds that are turning brown. Growing outside in San Diego, its been pretty hot and dry for the past few weeks, I have 2 plants and a total of 3 buds that are turning brown on them.

I looked up photos of budrot and they all seem to be a bit more "moldy" looking, but maybe I am wrong.

Anyways, heres some pics of the plants and the brown buds...

IMG_8594.JPG
IMG_8604.JPG
IMG_8601.JPG
IMG_8599.JPG
IMG_8600.JPG
IMG_8603.JPG

Oh gosh

Oh gosh

Caterpillars. Google it to help identify. Yank that dead bud off to prevent further damage from bud rot. Start looking in the morning and evening for em. Eggs will will look like tiny grains of sand on the tips of buds and leaf's. Autos?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Bad news man
Total newbie here, hoping to get some advice on some buds that are turning brown. Growing outside in San Diego, its been pretty hot and dry for the past few weeks, I have 2 plants and a total of 3 buds that are turning brown on them.

I looked up photos of budrot and they all seem to be a bit more "moldy" looking, but maybe I am wrong.

View attachment 885231View attachment 885236View attachment 885234View attachment 885232View attachment 885233View attachment 885235
Bad news man, pretty sure that's bud rot. I had a bad bought of that last year and lost 75% of my crop. give it a tug if it comes off in your hand easily you got the rot. It takes over real fast in a few days it can ruin the crop. If it is rot cut those buds now and hope you can save the rest.

xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

Odds are that you have insect damage and it is not normal to see this so early in looking at the rest of the flowers development and the overall health of the plant. Bud rot tends to set in naturally in the last week or two of flowering and generally if found earlier in its due to some extent of physical damage.

Cut ✂ it out before it is too late to do so and chances are that you will find what did the damage in the first place to give the mold a foothold so early in.

FatManatee

FatManatee

1 vote for bud rot for me too. Cut away the infected colas, your gonna want to cut a few inches down on the infected area, to avoid the rot spreading.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Buds aren’t really fat enough for so much rot so check for caterpillars 🐛 inside the buds. They burrow into the buds.
Looking at these pics again I'm going to hedge on my 1st post a pit. The bud rot that affected my plants started in the center of the buds and not on the top as yours are. Still give the bud a tug or cut and crumple in your fingers, you'll recognize rot when you see it. If you're in a low humidity area then bud rot might not be your culprit and it's more likely bugs as stated above.

B

BudLearner

I grow outside and have the same problem on my buds. It's from Caterpillars. Sometimes the caterpillars are in the damaged bud, other times I found them in the better looking bud at the bottom. In either case, you need to look for and remove the worms and the damaged bud as soon as possible. Stay on it every day. It's easier to locate them in the early morning or evening. I did spray with Safer, which can be used up to 2 weeks before harvest, and this seems to be working.

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

View attachment 885231View attachment 885236View attachment 885234View attachment 885232View attachment 885233View attachment 885235
Love these forums…
It’s Caterpillar alright I have the same problem here in Missouri for the 1st time…(pic attached)
At first I thought bud rot, but why then was the brown bud completely dried out not mushy not smelly no mold no white mold no webbing, but broke off very easily and the stem was still green on inside a plant!!!
(I pulled off the dead parts and inspected with magnifying glass sure enough I even found caterpillar cocoons & young caterpillars… One scared the hell out of me under 200x magnification, look like a sci-fi movie when the insect is coming to eat you, here she was coming out of the little cocoon couldn’t be more than 1/8 inch long). I had seen some caterpillars on the plants when they were very young and didn’t realize it would become a problem, next time I will definitely spray…
Also, I noticed they have a lot of black little droppings because my male plant that I was trying to get the pollen from, the collection paper head poop droppings all over it… I washed my plants for the first time before hand and I was so glad I did hydrogen peroxide and water and one bucket with lemon juice and baking powder, Plus a final rinsing bucket.
Pick attached of all the crap that came out of the plant literally… so glad I did I sure the hell didn’t want to smoke that shit…!
D9B4F32A 8DD2 4B71 828A 02F59DB6414E
D9B4F32A 8DD2 4B71 828A 02F59DB6414E
BCFF7CE1 8BD6 45CF 8832 015C8CD25F7E
2D00B433 673E 4DC4 B767 5004F73579B2

Last edited:
Top Bottom