A Few Questions Regarding My First Grow.

• Thread starter e_copp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

e_copp

Hey everyone!

This is my first grow and was looking to get some input on a few things. My seedlings were planted in soil within cups on the 5th of June after 2 day germination period. I'm a little worried my plants may be stretching a bit but not too sure. They are about 3-4 inches in length since they've been planted. I've been looking around on some other threads and I hear that I should just bury the stem a little once I transplant. I also made the mistake of not putting what I believe to be autoflower seeds into their final pots right away. Alas, this is my first grow and I'm learning as I go. I plan to move these girls into 3-5 gallon pots whenever the time is right which I also am not too sure about. I have a grow tent to move possible all but most likely half of them into I'm just waiting on an exhaust fan to come in. I'm planning on going with a passive intake setup.

So I suppose my questions are:

1. Are these stretching? If so, is it an easy fix during transplant or other means?
2. When do I transplant?
3. Can I move 2 of the girls outside at some point (because of space)?

Any other assistance is super appreciated and I hope everyone else's grows are going well!

I should also mention what I'm using for this setup:
FECIDA 600w LED Grow Light Dimmable
Vivosun Grow tent 4x2 w exhaust fan.

A few questions regarding my first grow
A few questions regarding my first grow 3
A few questions regarding my first grow 2

A few questions regarding my first grow 4

E

e_copp

You should also consider turning the light up or getting it closer to the plants. Seedlings stretch like that because they aren't getting enough light.
Sweet, I dropped the light about 6 inches or so I realized I read the manufactures' website wrong and had it too high. Hopefully with this and the raised soil they should be okay.

E

e_copp

Hey everyone!

This is my first grow and was looking to get some input on a few things. My seedlings were planted in soil within cups on the 5th of June after 2 day germination period. I'm a little worried my plants may be stretching a bit but not too sure. They are about 3-4 inches in length since they've been planted. I've been looking around on some other threads and I hear that I should just bury the stem a little once I transplant. I also made the mistake of not putting what I believe to be autoflower seeds into their final pots right away. Alas, this is my first grow and I'm learning as I go. I plan to move these girls into 3-5 gallon pots whenever the time is right which I also am not too sure about. I have a grow tent to move possible all but most likely half of them into I'm just waiting on an exhaust fan to come in. I'm planning on going with a passive intake setup.

So I suppose my questions are:

1. Are these stretching? If so, is it an easy fix during transplant or other means?
2. When do I transplant?
3. Can I move 2 of the girls outside at some point (because of space)?

Any other assistance is super appreciated and I hope everyone else's grows are going well!

I should also mention what I'm using for this setup:
FECIDA 600w LED Grow Light Dimmable
Vivosun Grow tent 4x2 w exhaust fan.

View attachment 1252430View attachment 1252432View attachment 1252431
View attachment 1252433
Should also mention that I'm using Hoffman purely organic potting soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Fill the cups to the top. It’s important for watering purposes. A very blue spectrum helps them from getting leggy and they dont need a lot of light at this point. Thats why t5’s are very popular for germination and seedlings

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Should also mention that I'm using Hoffman purely organic potting soil.
Water to moisten the whole cup. In organics you want to avoid runoff. They probably go s few days between watering. Read here to help you grasp watering

E

e_copp

Fill the cups to the top. It’s important for watering purposes. A very blue spectrum helps them from getting leggy and they dont need a lot of light at this point. Thats why t5’s are very popular for germination and seedlings
Sounds good I'll go ahead and do that. There is no worry in the stem becoming too small? Also I feel as though I can be watering more although the cups seem moist when I put my finger in. (I've been using a spray bottle mostly moistening the top of the soil most of the time. Should I water till I see water come out of the bottom of the cup?) Reading the link you sent me answered this very well. Thanks a ton for your help!

E

e_copp

Just checked my plants and noticed the edges of the leaves are barely curling. Is this a sign of under watering?
FBADC511 8536 4358 8D98 2169523FF488
6CEDA725 386A 4615 9575 A31387442995

E

e_copp

Too much light, wind or heat … im leaning light
Interesting because my seedlings were stretching from what I thought was being too far away from the light. I currently have my light at 40% power should I consider lowering this after already lowering the light?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Interesting because my seedlings were stretching from what I thought was being too far away from the light. I currently have my light at 40% power should I consider lowering this after already lowering the light?
What light and at what height? Stretch is a largely genetic and light spectrum as well as temperature related. You need to have a very low intensity to see actual stretch due to lack of photons.

If you have a red leaning light with some far red it will result in some shade avoidance characteristics in which the plant will stretch. If this is the case dont worry about it but i can tell you right now that plants not stretching anymore than is normal

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Correction i see you filled the cups up… and the previous pics show some but as i say the stretch was likely temp or spectral…. Aince you moved the light closer did this new issue start? Because im pretty sure its lights stress

E

e_copp

What light and at what height? Stretch is a largely genetic and light spectrum as well as temperature related. You need to have a very low intensity to see actual stretch due to lack of photons.

If you have a red leaning light with some far red it will result in some shade avoidance characteristics in which the plant will stretch. If this is the case dont worry about it but i can tell you right now that plants not stretching anymore than is normal
Correction i see you filled the cups up… and the previous pics show some but as i say the stretch was likely temp or spectral…. Aince you moved the light closer did this new issue start? Because im pretty sure its lights stress
Ahh it could be the red light. Since I moved the light closer I think I've noticed the edges curling up a little bit more than before, but cant be sure. Although in the images I initially sent I can sort of see it a little on a couple of the plants.. before lowering the light. I haven't changed the power of the light as the manufacture website says to keep it at 40% for this stage.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ahh it could be the red light. Since I moved the light closer I think I've noticed the edges curling up a little bit more than before, but cant be sure. Although in the images I initially sent I can sort of see it a little on a couple of the plants.. before lowering the light. I haven't changed the power of the light as the manufacture website says to keep it at 40% for this stage.
Red leaning will have seedlings stretch more… blue leaning is a better option for seedlings

E

e_copp

Hello,

Wanted to update this thread and also ask what the cause of my leaves drooping could be. I just move them into the grow tent this morning before there light cycle. They were fine before. Curious if its too much heat?

Thanks in advance for any help!
IMG 3881
IMG 3883

Top Bottom