A few questions...

• Thread starter Arrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Arrows

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to growing, but I thought I'd try my hand at Hydro for my first grow because I love challenges.

Anyways, I have two questions.

1. I'm running a Stealth Hydro bubbleponics setup that I bought w/2 85w CFLs. Average temp in the grow area is 77-81 deg Fahrenheit, I check the pH everyday and I make sure it is around 6.0-6.5 and it usually stays at 6.5.

It's day 5 since the system has been set up and day 13 since 2 of the seeds have been planted (I planted them in the Jiffy plastic germination chamber thing). I transplanted the 2 seedlings that grew in the chamber and one is doing ok (top right in pic), but the other is a runt (bottom left in pic).

The other 4 spots I just dropped seeds directly into the rockwool (top left, bottom right in pic) and let the hydro do its thing, so those have been growing for 5 days.

I'm noticing that the ones that I just dropped into the rockwool are growing a lot faster. And just wondering if this is normal?

2. In the second pic, its kinda hard to tell, but there is a ring of stuff around the water line. When I wipe some out with my finger it is a yellowish-greenish color. Also wondering if this is normal or if its some sort of bacteria.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A few questions
A few questions 2
darkmatter

darkmatter

good luck might wonna start some seeds behind em just in case some dont work so you can replace em if some turd out. hope fully your seeds are not pricey jewels. you gotta get a better light soon. that will grow a bush bush but might take some trys.you could put some soil pots around your tub for backup looks like you got room .go ahead and get a air cooled light if you wonna bang that thing out.

D

Dr Herbal

Try get your ph to around 5.8 bro to me it looks like you need a litte more light too what you feeding them if anything, dont forget that rockwool has no food init and the plants need food from pritty much the start :) If you aint feeding try plant start from vita-link only £5 for 250ml and its bloody good stuff got everything a young seed needs to grow :)
peace bro :)

A

Arrows

The seeds were free from a friend, he said that they are blueberry.

I've slowly been lowering the pH by about 0.2 a day. Currently @ 5.8, I'm gonna lower it to 5.3-5.5.

As for the light, I plan on upgrading my whole system once I start making money @ my new job. But until then I work with what I got...

Water is mostly tap water. I checked our water's pH, it's at 7. Our house has a water softener (our water gets filtered through potassium pellets).

Thanks for the advice guys. =]

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Dude you'll probably need an RO. Water softeners add a LOT of dissolved solids in your water. Test your ppm's and you'll see what i'm saying. I'm gonna guess you're at around 400-450ppm out of your tap.

A

Arrows

Sweet, thanks for the help guys.

Going to pick up a meter later. It's feeding day, so I'm gonna do that before I drain it & feed em.

A

Arrows

Just got a 400W HPS setup! Sooooo bright! Hahah I love it already.

D

Doc Farmer

Well this is my first post here, I'm retired and just checking out thcfarmer, been a big reader for awhil, I'm bored as fwk, miss the passion and thought I'd start sharing some of my knowledge.

So Arrows, I'll try to answer your questions...

Is your bubble-ponic thingy clear? You have to try to block 100% of the light from your nutes/water. Light will makes nasty things grow in your water... whatever slime or sludge you got in there get rid of it...unless your using some organic nutrient, or beneficial bacteria I'm unaware of..
Water temp should be 75 and lower this to 70 when the roots get going. Bacteria loves water 80+
Room temp: 65-75
Humidity: 60+
PH: 5.8
Your water softener could kill your plants!!
Softened water is deprived off its calcium and magnesium contents.
Sodium is added during the softening process.
Softened water contains up to 300mg/L of sodium.

Studies by the University of Wisconsin and the National Sanitation Foundation: It would not be a good idea to use softened water in your garden. Studies have shown that sodium levels in softened water are not good for the overall health of plants.

As far as your seeds sprouting.. Some are fast some are slow, kind of like growers...

This is how I ran things with a recirculating dwc/nft system...

Good Luck though dude..

Top Bottom