A Forum Breeding Project (in more than 5 words)

• Thread starter Grownsince95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
OK so Im not trying be a Debby downer or rain on anyones parade but honestly I have tried to preserve male pollen in the past many times and it almost never works. Seeds can last for years but the viability of male pollen falls off the cliff after a short period of time. The storage elements have to be absolutely spot on and it must remain super dry and cool any moisture at all will kill the viability of the pollen. It is my experience that if you want to do breeding you should do so when the male and female plants are both in the same sexual maturity window. If you can I would run a little male clone and a little female clone side by side and let them seed naturally. Holding the pollen for a future fertilization date may end up being a giant waste of time. This is my $0.02 for whatever its worth. Peace ✌️
My method is not storage I agree it’s a waist of time I use the direct method fresh pollen on fresh fully white haired buds works a dream every time . Od

amekins

amekins

Yes sure because you do not need much pollen I would strip all the flower bar the top of the plant this reduces the amount of flower first of all makes it easier to handle his balls so to speak keep them in a good easy accessibly to get to the flower with a clean paint brush and for you style I’d say you would have small cup cake paper pan liner you can gentle caress his balls to drop the goods in the paper tray your holding in the palm of your hand , use the brush to dip in the love juice n get that girl n teach here the birds n bees ….. rubber gloves may be used but that really kills the mood n the feel ……… oh shit sorry that’s the wrong forum ….. my wife just asked if it was giving out marital advice I said yes it’s called ask old Od he will tell you straight …..😉🤪👌
How long do they typically take to mature and open?

amekins

amekins

OK so Im not trying be a Debby downer or rain on anyones parade but honestly I have tried to preserve male pollen in the past many times and it almost never works. Seeds can last for years but the viability of male pollen falls off the cliff after a short period of time. The storage elements have to be absolutely spot on and it must remain super dry and cool any moisture at all will kill the viability of the pollen. It is my experience that if you want to do breeding you should do so when the male and female plants are both in the same sexual maturity window. If you can I would run a little male clone and a little female clone side by side and let them seed naturally. Holding the pollen for a future fertilization date may end up being a giant waste of time. Everything One Drop recommend is spot on and will work great so long as your using that male pollen in a relatively quick timeframe. This is my $0.02 for whatever its worth. Peace ✌️
These two are flowering together. The pollen is to send off to the originator of these seeds these plants came from.
DF3ECE6E 1FE2 4B3C 931E E1DA74B1641E

amekins

amekins

5 to 14 days in what I've been doing but keep female away till her short n curly are full tilt white then dust you get more bang for your buck .
Can they finish out on a window sill? I’m trying to contain the pollen from flowering plants indoor and out.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Can they finish out on a window sill? I’m trying to contain the pollen from flowering plants indoor and out.
Yes but you must limit the amount of time to work them a breeze a slight shake and it on your close up your nose tops if your toes in your curls it's every where so I do my sexy time after I fine the females then do your male to female stick then shower clean close every time you will spread pollen I bag my male n female plants together so less chance of Pollen spread . 🥴☮️👍

Last edited:
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
OK so Im not trying be a Debby downer or rain on anyones parade but honestly I have tried to preserve male pollen in the past many times and it almost never works. Seeds can last for years but the viability of male pollen falls off the cliff after a short period of time. The storage elements have to be absolutely spot on and it must remain super dry and cool any moisture at all will kill the viability of the pollen. It is my experience that if you want to do breeding you should do so when the male and female plants are both in the same sexual maturity window. If you can I would run a little male clone and a little female clone side by side and let them seed naturally. Holding the pollen for a future fertilization date may end up being a giant waste of time. Everything One Drop recommend is spot on and will work great so long as your using that male pollen in a relatively quick timeframe. This is my $0.02 for whatever its worth. Peace ✌️
True, i had a complete failure after storing male pollen in a fridge for about a month.
Now i have some in the freezer and will try after about a month as well, so will see how it goes.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
How long do they typically take to mature and open?
Quick finish compared to female flowers, maybe a week or so after the male flowers are formed.
In nature male pollen needs to be ready before female flowers are ready otherwise there would not be a lot of reproduction.

growsince79

growsince79

True, i had a complete failure after storing male pollen in a fridge for about a month.
Now i have some in the freezer and will try after about a month as well, so will see how it goes.
I've had 100% success with frozen pollen stored up to 18 months so far.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
I make a little envelope of glossy paper and put it in a jar of rice.
Good idea !
Didnt think of the rice, will try as well.

I let it dry for a day, put part in oven paper and part in aluminium foil then in zip lock baggies.

Still gonna add some rice to the baggies, thanks for the great idea.

amekins

amekins

I have lots of little silica packets saved and wondered if I could mix a bit of those in with pollen for storage in a little seed tube. Would the silica gel pose an issue to a flowering plant if dusted on it with pollen application?

Mom will spend her 12-hr days out in natural sunlight. Dad will spend his 12 in the kitchen window (for his remaining days) with this little skirt I hopes of collecting a little pollen. At night, they come together again for 12 hrs of darkness. I will plan to paint some pollen (if I retrieve any) on mom just in case nature doesn’t do it’s job without some help. With any luck, I’ll have some seeds from mom and dad, and pollen from dad, to keep and to send to @Grownsince95. The clone of mom will remain outside to grow for the season.
38ABAE85 FF3A 46F6 B69D A425BAF4709C
1620124A 0D3D 4B45 9A35 3313B219DF4C

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I have lots of little silica packets saved and wondered if I could mix a bit of those in with pollen for storage in a little seed tube. Would the silica gel pose an issue to a flowering plant if dusted on it with pollen application?

Mom will spend her 12-hr days out in natural sunlight. Dad will spend his 12 in the kitchen window (for his remaining days) with this little skirt I hopes of collecting a little pollen. At night, they come together again for 12 hrs of darkness. I will plan to paint some pollen (if I retrieve any) on mom just in case nature doesn’t do it’s job without some help. With any luck, I’ll have some seeds from mom and dad, and pollen from dad, to keep and to send to @Grownsince95. The clone of mom will remain outside to grow for the season.View attachment 1137606View attachment 1137607
Put a plastic bag wind break over it stop That breeze

amekins

amekins

This poor girl is not handling her transplant well. It was happier in a little pellet-sized sac of coco coir than it is here. It looks overwatered AF so I’m hoping a day in some intermittent shade and drying out some help.
B7ADEA9A 59D8 43D0 8877 99317FD88B02
9813C9B3 CEDD 4801 9FEE BD9F05044A90

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Is the sun getting really hot out there? It might simply be stress, from the transplant. Maybe keeping it out of the high afternoon sunlight for a bit and allowing only early and late day sun might help, but it's just a guess. Trying to offer you some suggestions.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

Mom will spend her 12-hr days out in natural sunlight. Dad will spend his 12 in the kitchen window (for his remaining days) with this little skirt I hopes of collecting a little pollen. At night, they come together again for 12 hrs of darkness. I will plan to paint some pollen (if I retrieve any) on mom just in case nature doesn’t do it’s job without some help. With any luck, I’ll have some seeds from mom and dad, and pollen from dad, to keep and to send to @Grownsince95. The clone of mom will remain outside to grow for the season.View attachment 1137606View attachment 1137607
That little flowering plant is cute, I had a zkittles like that once. You'll be surprised by how much it spreads out by the end.

To my mind silicon dioxide is not going to harm the pollen, but I don't generally mix it into it, I use it for my seeds, to keep them dry once they've been stratified.

The silicon dioxide should help a plant, overall, especially to establish roots. But pollens? It's an unknown for me, but I would think it should be safe, if the ph range is correct. It should only be a weak acid, which I would think, should be fine.

Silicon dioxide has no basic properties - it doesn't contain oxide ions and it doesn't react with acids. Instead, it is very weakly acidic, reacting with strong bases. Silicon dioxide doesn't react with water, (it absorbs it) because of the difficulty of breaking up the giant covalent structure.

It could however, make the pollens too dry, but extracting every tiny bit of moisure of it. I would think there's probably a balance in there somewhere, and pollens contain around 10-20% moisture, when fresh, ideallly about 4% dried.

I would just keep the silica in it's container and store it with the pollen, not mix it together. If need be, wrap it in a tiny peice of coffee filter, then put them side by side, sealed, then freeze. But let the pollen dehydrate first, stratify. This is key. I'm pretty sure this will work, and others here probably have more experience than I on this subject.

Last edited:
Top Bottom