A grow diary.

• Thread starter Kanzeon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That mother. fucking. Promix. I hate it. I bought some for the vegetable plants because it was cheap, and of course it came with a brand new round of fungus gnats that I've been fighting since.

Never buying pre-mixed dirt again. Also I really need to get vermicomposting set up. C'est la vie. There's always tomorrow.

Here are the two phenos of Nepalma in late flower. They'll both probably go for another week at least, maybe two. But I'm pretty happy with them. Yeah, I burned the shit out of the tips, I was pushing them too hard on nutes a few feeds ago.

IMG 20200422 225503
IMG 20200422 225513

And here's HSO's Gorilla Breath, trained in a U shape because that's how it felt like growing.

Screenshot from 2020 04 22 23 22 27

Here's everything in veg!

The Kurdish Kush are in the 3 fabric pots to the left, the Silverfields are in ithe 3 fabric pots to the right. One of the Triple Pakistan plants got flipped into flower a couple days ago, along with DNA Genetics Blood Orange Sorbet, 710 Genetics' Hash 13, and Delicious' Sugar Black Rose. Platinum GSC is that palm tree-looking lady in the back, she'll be trellised horizontally before flipping. Kubanskiy is the absolute unit up front on the right. I'm going to emulate that with the two Siberian Haze seedlings in the 5g pots to the top left.

Screenshot from 2020 04 22 23 25 13

They've grown about 6 inches, but I keep backfilling them. I'll do that until the soil is a half inch or so from the top of the pot. Next to those are the Ducksfoot plants, Serious Seeds' AK-47 and a Royal Queen Northern Lights Auto, just for fun.

Screenshot from 2020 04 22 23 25 01

A better look at the Triple Pakistan on the left, the three Kurdish Kush around it, and the three Silverfields on the right. Also an idea of the scale of that Kubanskiy Ubiyza plant. The front one is a Motherlode Kush fem from Sannie.

Screenshot from 2020 04 22 23 24 35

Going to start the humic and fulvic acid treatment tomorrow by adding it to the kelp and aspirin foliar. 1g/L each of kelp and hfa mix with 125mg/L of aspirin.

There's also the dual purpose PM-treating and feeding Epsom Salts and Sulfur foliar that has been fantastic. I've used it up to a couple weeks before chop with no effect on the final smoke. (1g, 3g/L)

Once a month I'll mix up a neem, black pepper, and lacto fermented garlic blend (roughly 3g, 2 peppercorns, and a clove of garlic per liter) and spray that all over everything in veg. Everything gets hit with that before going into flower at least twice.

On the more disappointing side, those Sotho Heights beans have gone 0/12 so far. 3 days ago, they all went into sterilized, moistened coco after being sprayed with the iba/aspirin/kelp blend and were held at 85 degrees, so I'm baffled. If they're not doing anything in a couple days, I'll move on to the next landrace project and start popping Real Seed Co's Sinai beans. Apparently those smell strongly of rose in flower, so I'm excited to see what they do. After that is Sannie's Jack Herer.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

All six of those Sinai popped in 24 hours. Whew. It's always nice to have the next round just explode if the last one had some duds. These are going straight from the rooting pots into more 3g fabric containers.

I just re-topped the second Triple Pakistan (front right) and cloned it, since it looks like it'll be at least another couple weeks until a spot opens up for it in flower. It's a good problem to have, haha.

Screenshot from 2020 04 24 21 57 44

The clones and seedlings are under the plastic dome on the top left shelf. Don't mind the untrimmed clones in the background either, haha.

Here's a better look at the Triple Pak, Kurdish Kush, and Silverfields (right, top to bottom). That mammoth Kubanskiy Ubiyza plant is on the right, with the revegging Uzbekistan behind it.
Screenshot from 2020 04 24 21 58 33

Siberian Hazes growing, the Ducksfoot are obviously happy, and the MLK, AK-47, and Northern Lights Auto are loving life now that it seems the worst of the fungus gnat attack has been fended off. I'll do another detail clean in a few days. The smaller pots are in the bigger containers to make watering easier.

Screenshot from 2020 04 24 21 57 53

After these Sinai beans comes Sannie's Jack Herer. Then likely another round of Kalashnikov stuff- likely Katyusha again and Moscow Blueberry. After that maybe I'll start those beans from Rasol, maybe the ones from Ukhrul, in Nagaland, or maybe I'll start something that hasn't arrived yet (likely of middle eastern origin).

I emailed Seeds of Africa and let them know about none of the Sotho Heights germinating, hoping they'll send out a new pack. The promise of a blazing African sativa with short internodes is too good to pass up.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Here's Kubanskiy again, this time with a G2 pen for reference on the floor in front of it.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 51 21
Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 51 32

She's hefty!

Here are the Kurdish Kush on the left, the Silverfields in the middle, and the new Sinai beans on the right. Those things have been the most vigorous growers that I've seen yet, so they just went straight into their final 3 gallon cloth pots. There are 3 more in the seedling spot.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 51 40

The Siberian Hazes on the left are starting to poke their heads out over their pots, too. The addition of humic and fulvic acid to the foliar spray seems to have added vigor, but the returns are still early.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 51 48

The flower room, with the old 5 gallon buckets being replaced by the 3g cloth ones. Still some pretty okay buds though.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 52 05

HSO's Blue Dream in mid-late flower. She'll likely get the chop in about 3-4 weeks, but I'll wait longer if she keeps throwing white pistils. Smells like straight crazy glue.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 54 25

Heavy Grapefuit here has been a workhorse since the beginning. I definitely didn't grow it to its full potential the first time, but now it's looking happy. There's barely any stretch and it's stupid tough, so it'd be an awesome beginner plant.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 54 33

Moscow Blueberry just cruising right along. No maintenance in flower so far except for pulling a few dead leaves and rotating her every day. Really looking forward to the smoke on this one since I've enjoyed all of their others. You can see it being photobombed at the bottom by...

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 55 24

@Dirtbag's Violator Kush! Not sure how much longer to keep running her but I'm thinking she'll get the chop in 2-3 weeks. White pistils have been few and far between for a week or so.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 55 33

A better picture of the full room. As with everything, it's a work in progress.

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 56 21

Screenshot from 2020 04 27 18 51 04
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

It's all good!

@Dirtbag's VK is getting closer to the chop, but I don't think she's quite there yet. The pistils have dried, but the tops of the buds haven't really fattened out and the leaves are saying she still has a few weeks to go. My initial thought is about 3 more weeks. Opinions?

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 37 50

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 07 23
Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 05 44

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 05 22

No, she's not clipped to the stake, the clothespins are there to hold the supports in place.

Here's HSO's Gorilla Breath, which has just exploded over the last couple weeks. The clothespins will convey a decent sense of scale.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 38 22
Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 38 33
Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 38 09

Yep, I'll take that. Minus the thrip damage on the leaves of course. Fuck those things.

Also really happy with Europa's Heavy Grapefruit. Just a low-maintenance, reliable, thick, beautiful lady. The high is lovely too.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 09 35

Moscow Blueberry coming right along as well.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 01 58

That first Blue Dream plant is starting to call it quits, but she's done some WORK. Those are thick, sticky colas that smell like krazy glue, with catpee in the background.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 02 40

Here's the second Blue Dream, also on its way to absolutely exploding. The 3g pot is so much better than the 5g.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 04 20

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 04 32

And the veg area, chugging right along.

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 01 28

Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 06 17
Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 06 47
Screenshot from 2020 05 01 18 37 39
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Watch the trichs on that VK. It doesnt produce bug buds at all, the top will never fill out like you think it should, but overall the finished weight from that plant ends up huge because of the resin content. It should be getting pretty friggin stinky about now.Mine neve goes past 9 weeks FWIW.
It's all good!

@Dirtbag's VK is getting closer to the chop, but I don't think she's quite there yet. The pistils have dried, but the tops of the buds haven't really fattened out and the leaves are saying she still has a few weeks to go. My initial thought is about 3 more weeks. Opinions?

View attachment 968261

View attachment 968241View attachment 968237

View attachment 968236

No, she's not clipped to the stake, the clothespins are there to hold the supports in place.

Here's HSO's Gorilla Breath, which has just exploded over the last couple weeks. The clothespins will convey a decent sense of scale.

View attachment 968263View attachment 968266View attachment 968262

Yep, I'll take that. Minus the thrip damage on the leaves of course. Fuck those things.

Also really happy with Europa's Heavy Grapefruit. Just a low-maintenance, reliable, thick, beautiful lady. The high is lovely too.

View attachment 968243

Moscow Blueberry coming right along as well.

View attachment 968230

That first Blue Dream plant is starting to call it quits, but she's done some WORK. Those are thick, sticky colas that smell like krazy glue, with catpee in the background.

View attachment 968231

Here's the second Blue Dream, also on its way to absolutely exploding. The 3g pot is so much better than the 5g.

View attachment 968234

View attachment 968235

And the veg area, chugging right along.

View attachment 968227

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yeah, she's definitely not subtle. There are so many plants nearing the end of flower right now it's hard to differentiate the smells, but I have noticed my arm being sticky after sliding it through to work on the plants around her. 😄 Those lower buds are looking almost as nice as the top ones, which was the point of the training and support that she's been given.

VK crossed with the Uzbekistan could be really interesting, but she's too late in flower and the clone didn't make it.. They're similar, but Uzi got super thick. Ah well, back burner. Happy to give you some pollen if you want to play around too.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Chopped @Dirtbag's Violator Kush the other day. She was a frosty, sticky bitch of the highest order. It's going to be an absolute pain in the ass going through this for seeds, but there's a lot of potential with this VK x Nepalma.

This was the first plant that I knew that I was going to have to stake all the way through flower, so she had all kinds of support. It was a fun challenge to keep her as happy as I could through flower. That's a 3 gallon pot, for scale.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 50 51
Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 50 15
Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 51 01
Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 51 11

Also here's the Platinum Cookies, right before flipping a few days ago. I've been fucking around with different training techniques, and she just kinda grew like this. Now she'll be a cool tetris piece in the flower room.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 51 34

I've also found the best germination technique yet, for all plants. New, sterile deli containers, almost totally covered, on a heat mat until the seedlings start coming up to the lid. Then straight to the window. These are the last of the Sinai on the left, so far they're 4/6 in this container. The soil mix is my regular one with 25% more earthworm castings, sterilized before seedting by pouring boiling water through the soil.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 49 55

The new light came today! The 3-panel one in the back, another Kingbrite, this time the 320w 3000K with the 660nm. For 300 bucks American including shipping and duties, it's insane. There's now 560 watts covering a 5x6 space, plus the blurple.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 49 46

Just mounted that sumbitch up there with 2x4's.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 49 22

This, I think, was actually pretty slick. The two heatsinks for the Kingbrite qb's are on the 2x4 to the left, with the fan directly behind them blowing air over them and out of the room constantly. On the right is the heatsink for the 770nm bar between the boards, which doesn't really get hot anyway but there's a fan blowing on it all the time. Now there is more effective cooling in the room, with more wattage. Might even see if I could sneak a 140mm fan on there in between the heat sinks for more airflow.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 49 01

So of course that means that the first HLG, a 3500k 260w QB, goes into veg so that the whole flower room is 3000K plus UV and far red.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 46 37

Still working on how I want the other lights, but that'll do for the time being. It looks really empty with Kubanskiy flipped, we'll see how long that lasts. 😄

Here is one of the Kurdish Kush, that internode spacing is like 2 cm. They'll be denser than stale fruitcake.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 46 29

Ducksfoots rebounding beautifully, Uzbekistan behind them trying to decide if it wants to die or reveg, Silverfields starting to get hefty, they'll likely get topped within the next week.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 46 22

And now for some more flowering plants.

Moscow Blueberry, a week or two max away.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 48 52

Kubanskiy looking like a fucking meadow.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 48 39

HSO's Gorilla Breath, smelling like cocoa powder and coffee at the moment.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 48 27

The second of the Triple Pakistan plants in the corner, Heavy Grapefruit in front of it, and HSO's Blue Dream just blowing the fuck up in the blue bucket.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 48 08

Heavy Grapefruit again on the left, Blue Dream in the middle, Hash 13 on the right.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 48 04

Blue Dream again, Hash 13 in the middle, and Platinum GSC back in the corner.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 47 59

Gorilla Breath in the green bucket, with the other HSO Blue dream and others behind it.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 47 53

One last decent whole room picture. The chunky girl to the right is HSO's Three Blue Kings.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 22 47 16

Also this week I switched from running during the day to at night. 10pm on, 9:30am off now so that I'm not blasting AC into that room all day.

The next project is to mount a 140mm computer fan as an intake fan, then building a carbon filter box to attach to the muffin fan mounted in the window.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

It's not much to look at, but I set up a decent carbon filter solution that'll get me through the summer. It's a 10 inch muffin fan, the styrofoam packing for the Kingbrite that just came, scrap nails and screws, and a carbon filter from amazon cut to fit and layered twice. Above it is a 120mm computer fan, constantly pulling air in from outside. The exhaust fan underneath it is set to run on roughly 45 minute intervals, so there's always fresh air coming in. It's easy to see that it's working because it caught the sawdust that was in the air from installing it. 😄

Screenshot from 2020 05 14 20 37 16

Also finally set up vermicomposting today! I went through the compost pile outside and found a bunch of red wigglers and nightcrawlers. Those went in the cooler (it's like 15" x 35"), and this is in a shady spot on the porch outside where it'll catch runoff from vegetable waterings. It's not much to look at, but it'll be fun to see how it evolves!

Screenshot from 2020 05 14 20 37 33

In retrospect, when I burned the tips on the last plants through flower, I didn't skip any feedings. There were probably residual nutes on the coco in my mix, and my feeding on top of that is probably what burned the leaves. Now every third feeding I'm skipping the nutes and just doing EWC/bacto/kelp extract/aspirin (and also where enzymes will come into play in the future), and they're all looking healthier.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Topped all of the ladies in veg for the first time a couple days ago. I think 3 toppings for 4 main stalks is going to be the plan for the Silverfields, Siberian Haze, AK-47, and Sinai, since they're all pretty stretchy. The indicas (Kurdish Kush, Motherlode Kush, Double Black) will just get topped once for two main stems, since they'd need too long in veg to support 4 stems of 30 inches or so.

Also been doing some baking.

Screenshot from 2020 05 20 16 03 10
Screenshot from 2020 05 20 16 02 50

And because of how much pizza talk there's been on here, I got a craving for some Detroit style goodness. 75% hydration for the dough, proof until doubled, then shape and put it in the pan and proof to 1.5x again. San Marzano tomato puree for the sauce, high fat mozzarella and havarti for the cheese, and the only decent pepperoni that I've been able to find. It's like a thunderstorm of heartburn, but it's stupid delicious.

Screenshot from 2020 05 20 16 02 17

dire wolf

dire wolf

Topped all of the ladies in veg for the first time a couple days ago. I think 3 toppings for 4 main stalks is going to be the plan for the Silverfields, Siberian Haze, AK-47, and Sinai, since they're all pretty stretchy. The indicas (Kurdish Kush, Motherlode Kush, Double Black) will just get topped once for two main stems, since they'd need too long in veg to support 4 stems of 30 inches or so.

Also been doing some baking.

View attachment 975471View attachment 975472

And because of how much pizza talk there's been on here, I got a craving for some Detroit style goodness. 75% hydration for the dough, proof until doubled, then shape and put it in the pan and proof to 1.5x again. San Marzano tomato puree for the sauce, high fat mozzarella and havarti for the cheese, and the only decent pepperoni that I've been able to find. It's like a thunderstorm of heartburn, but it's stupid delicious.

View attachment 975473
Hey K , that looks amazing !
The pizza ☺

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Hey K , that looks amazing !

Funny you pop by tonight, I've actually got another one finishing its second proof right now, it'll be done in a few hours!

Gorilla Breath got the chop last night. Absolutely beautiful plant in flower. Huge buds, stinky, and beautiful purple streaks on the fade. Very excited to try it after it's cured.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I was just about to ask you to take a pic of the finished pies sliced , but i figured if you were like me you wouldent be making another one for a week or two
Im making 8 at a time threse days and freezing them , its hard sometimes to get the dough going , the san marzanos milled etc ,
I get lazy so i like to do a bunch at once , re heated in my cast oven skillet like yours , they taste even better than fresh .....

dire wolf

dire wolf

Even with the time difference , in a few hours is going to be pretty late to eat a pepperoni pizza !

Gonna do a pan pizza this week , not sure if ill do a 3 day ferment , ive gotten so used to doing 2 or 3 day but i think a square will be fine overnight

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Even with the time difference , in a few hours is going to be pretty late to eat a pepperoni pizza !

The flower room turns on at 10 pm, so I'm essentially nocturnal. Years of restaurant work has programmed my sleep schedule to be roughly 4am to 10-11am, if PTSD is letting me sleep at all. 😄

The real question is are you doing a Chicago or a Detroit style pan pizza?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Cool , so your a nightbird like my wife and i , same story here , but not because of work , just because of lifestyle , and the pizza thing is nuts over here , we eat em at 2 / 3 am .....

Then wake up and eat breakfast pizza , lately i been making empanadas , bascially filled with a type of bolognaise suce that i cook for 3 hours then form the empanada dough , between that and the pizza its getting crazy here , ill send a pic
As far as the square , in new york where i was born , we call it sicilian pizza....

Just havent made one in a while , im sure the initial rise , knock down and second rise , pre cook dough , top then bake will be fine , if i remember , i just go a little heavy on the oil in the pan and sauce on top of the whole milk mozzerella .....
Working on my wood burning this week , when you see it , your gonna smile ...

dire wolf

dire wolf

Do you have nightmares from the ptsd ? I cant sleep for the same reason , the nightmares are ridiculous , ive learned to just deal with them , like i wake up , my wife says are you ok ? And i go , yea you know i was just lost then i was drowning in the middle of an ice lake ....oh ok , go back to bed 😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom