A grow diary.

• Thread starter Kanzeon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Oh, I also wanted to update the nutrients that I'm using.

Gaia Green 4-4-4 -> Added to soil mix, 2 cups per 20 gallons.

BAC Bloom Nutrients -> (6-5-6) These nutes on top of that, starting when the plant reaches the second node, then increasing the concentration through flowering. Yeah, they're technically bloom nutes, but that ratio is what I'm looking for throughout the grow anyway. It's brought much better results than Mega Crop in terms of long-term pH stability. Mega Crop is actually gonna be used for crops now here at casa del Kanzeon!

A liquid kelp extract from the local hydro shop that's 1-2-5, added at 1mL per L in veg and double that late in veg to start preflowering, as @MIMedGrower doesn't like to call it. 😉 😄

Kelp extract and humic/fulvic acid foliar 2x/month in veg

Micronized sulfur (2g/L) and epsom salt (1g/L) foliar 2x/month

IPM:

PFR-97 in every watering and the soil mix

Safer's End-All , sprayed on every non-blooming plant 2x/month

Spraying the leaves of the vegging plants with a blend of neem oil, fermented garlic, black pepper, Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, and warm water 1x/month

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Aaaaaand I might as well repost the soil(less) mix for easy reference.

10 gallons Perlite
2.5 gallons dehydrated coco coir, rehydrated, rinsed, and broken up into no chunks larger than a grain of rice
2.5 gallons EWC
2.5 gallons Sphagnum Peat, similarly broken down (ooh, I should rinse it next time with the coco!)
2 cups rock dust
2 cups Gaia Green 4-4-4
4 cups dolomite lime
2g PFR-97
5g humic/fulvic acid mix
1/4 teaspoon each of Sannie's mycos and bacto blends
1/2 cup molasses

Yeah, it only adds up to 18ish gallons, but when the peat and the coco are unclumped and everything is mixed, there's more volume and it fills a 20 gallon container.

I learn as I write, so the approximately seven of you awesome humans on the whole internet that are interested in my grow and ridiculous pollen chucking shenanigans are just gonna have to PUT UP with all of the incoming notifications. 🙃😁

ALSO I have to talk about bud washing. Three steps: 2 second rinse in cold water (either seltzer water or water with baking soda and vinegar added to it to create suspended CO2), a 3 second rinse in 120 degree water, and then a 3 second rinse in 35 degree water. Then hang dry upside down in an environment between 60 and 70 degrees and 55%ish humidity, making sure to circulate the air a few times a day.

Those of you that use scales for various reasons may not want to do it because it'll make the final weight go down. The hot water rinse bursts the cell walls of the leaf and stems, so instead of a gradual dry to manage the chlorophyll, this lets it out by softening the cell structure of the leaves and then evenly evaporating the water from them. The cold water right after makes sure the leaves don't keep "cooking."

But it makes a tremendous difference in smoke quality and medicinal value. I have never, ever, ever smoked any strain that didn't make my lungs hurt while smoking and after until tonight.

There's gonna be stuff in the air in all but, like, lab quality grows- dust, dander, pesticide residue, insect detritis... the stuff that accumulates on grow fans! 😭 Bud washing gets rid of that, it seems. Maybe it's the cellulose in the leaves that gets broken down? Feel free to chime in.

BUT NOW that I'm triple washing every plant right after they're cut, the smoke of said plants doesn't irritate my lungs at all. It doesn't taste as good as vaping, sure, but I just smoked at least a quarter O of various strains FOR SCIENCE and I'm not coughing!

But I am really, really, really fucking high. The ash is literally like white fireplace ash. I might post a picture when I can move again. 🌚😤

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

While I'm couchlocked and ruminating over the last year's worth of grow data, I might as well record the strains that "fit" for me.

Anxiety attacks: Nepalma hands down. Just an outstanding, introspective, dreamy, stress smashing smoke that's better than Xanax without being drowsy. Lavanda Cream and Uzbekistan are close seconds here but Nepalma is ☄.

Depression: G13 Haze, Siberian Haze, Kubanskiy Ubiyza. Three Blue Kings, AK Kush, Katyusha, Nepalma, and Lavanda Cream are on the next tier.

Flashbacks: Violator Kush, Katyusha, Blue Dream, G13 Hashplant, Lavanda Cream

Insomnia: Violator Kush, Uzbekistan, Heavy Grapefruit, G13 Hashplant

Appetite issues: Katyusha, Moscow Blueberry, Nepalma, Lavanda Cream

Overstimulation: Uzbekistan, Nepalma, LC, AK Kush, Blue Dream, Katyusha

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Good day today.

Added fishbone meal to the Siberian Haze to kickstart flowering. When she's showing signs of severe sexual frustration, then she'll flipped and trained throughout stretching.

There's been a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this strain, since it absolutely kicked my ass in January. She barely made it to harvest with PM, thrips, and my lack of knowledge, but the smoke. Holy fuck, the smoke. It was like a portal to a depression free dimension was opened and I just got dropped in a new world for a few hours with a shot of espresso. So the second time around I'm trying to be proactive to make sure everything's on point.

Also dropped Brothers Grimm's C99 x Durban-Thai and HSO's Lemon Citron. Which, come to think of it, might make a really cool Super Lemon Haze -esque strain down the road...

Not gonna post pics because this Three Blue Kings just sent me to the goddamn moon. It's comforting and trippy at the same time, not dissimilar from a low dose of shrooms. I both can't move and am completely okay with that. 😤 😤

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

So this Triple Pakistan is still going. These are gonna be some fun genetics to work with further, no doubt.

Screenshot from 2020 07 09 02 30 32

Screenshot from 2020 07 09 02 30 55

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

They're all doing their thing! Ukhrul, Herijuana, Moonshine Haze x Amnesia, ECSD x Moonshine Haze, Sannie's Jack, and Col'Jam. I'm anticipating about a third of these will end up female and in the flowering room.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 25 16

The plant that's bent over in the back is a Northern Lights Auto that seems like it'll be done soon.

The rest of the main veg area is HSO's 707 Truthband (x2) and Lemon Citron, Emerald Triangle's G13 Blueberry Headband, Reserva Privada's Purple Wreck, Kalashnikov's Moscow Blueberry, Kubanskiy, and Siberian Haze, 710 Genetics' Mango, and Dinamed CBD Plus.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 25 35

And the rest of the seedlings. Uzi F2, Uzbeknepanama, Sannie's Jack, USC's Black Afghani, and RSC's Afghan Mix.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 26 07

Remember that Siberian Haze? She's ready to get flipped.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 26 34

Kubanskiy coming along, maybe another 3-4 weeks on her.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 26 21

And yes, the laughably large Triple Pakistan colas are still getting fatter. Also flipped the last two Sinai plants since it seems like they can be significantly stretchy. In here are Kubanskiy, Sinai (x4), Double Black, Platinum Cookies, AK-47, Silverfields (x2), Motherlode Kush, Siberian Haze (x2), AK Kush, and Triple Pakistan.

Screenshot from 2020 07 10 21 27 05

I'm also on the hunt for a G13 Hashplant. Looking at Hazeman's and Bodhi's but I'm all ears if any of you has one that you like.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

They're all doing their thing! Ukhrul, Herijuana, Moonshine Haze x Amnesia, ECSD x Moonshine Haze, Sannie's Jack, and Col'Jam. I'm anticipating about a third of these will end up female and in the flowering room.

View attachment 998289

The plant that's bent over in the back is a Northern Lights Auto that seems like it'll be done soon.

The rest of the main veg area is HSO's 707 Truthband (x2) and Lemon Citron, Emerald Triangle's G13 Blueberry Headband, Reserva Privada's Purple Wreck, Kalashnikov's Moscow Blueberry, Kubanskiy, and Siberian Haze, 710 Genetics' Mango, and Dinamed CBD Plus.

View attachment 998288

And the rest of the seedlings. Uzi F2, Uzbeknepanama, Sannie's Jack, USC's Black Afghani, and RSC's Afghan Mix.

View attachment 998287

View attachment 998285

View attachment 998286

And yes, the laughably large Triple Pakistan colas are still getting fatter. Also flipped the last two Sinai plants since it seems like they can be significantly stretchy. In here are Kubanskiy, Sinai (x4), Double Black, Platinum Cookies, AK-47, Silverfields (x2), Motherlode Kush, Siberian Haze (x2), AK Kush, and Triple Pakistan.

View attachment 998284

I'm also on the hunt for a G13 Hashplant. Looking at Hazeman's and Bodhi's but I'm all ears if any of you has one that you like.
You, and I, and several here, need professional help. THC Anonymous?🤪

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Flower room is looking happy. ☺

Screenshot from 2020 07 14 22 32 09

Obligatory Triple Pakistan shot.

Screenshot from 2020 07 14 22 31 54

The next round. Being reinforced heavily as the Uzbeknepanama and Uzi F2 start differentiating and migrate from the 12/12 rooms.

Screenshot from 2020 07 14 22 37 08

The males. I've found that topping them at the same time as flipping them from 12/12 (which I start all regs under unless they're semi-auto) helps with transitioning back to 19/5 for more veg time. 3 are UNP, 1 is Uzi F2. Also some other plants that I've rescued from outside and quarantined are along the periphery.

Screenshot from 2020 07 14 22 31 33

The little seedlings! The Ukhrul in front are fascinating- tons of genetic diversity. Culled a couple seedlings of Jack and Herijuana that weren't looking super hot as well.

Screenshot from 2020 07 14 22 30 41

Terpz719

Terpz719

View attachment 998289

View attachment 998288

View attachment 998287

View attachment 998285

View attachment 998286

View attachment 998284

I just popped a few Bodhi's Lemon Hashplant v2 (Lemon G x 88G13HP) about a week ago. I'll post some pics later if I get any females.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That lemon hashplant looks fantastic! If you make seeds, let me know. 😊

Cleaned and sanitized the whole flower room today, including the walls, stands, and floor. Saw some evidence of thrips on the leaves of a few plants, so they all came out and got a drench with End-all, then the epsom salt/micronized sulfur/PFR-97 spray after. And then, of course, everything got rearranged.

Screenshot from 2020 07 17 03 12 46

The two Siberian Haze plants are up front, in the middle and furthest to the right. Two more Sinai are between them, with Platinum Cookies at the front left putting on weight. Kubanskiy, Silverfields x 2, another two Sinai, Serious Seeds' AK-47, Motherlode Kush, and Double Black round everything out. Triple Pakistan is the pair of upturned bowling pins in the back.

And here's the veg space, chugging right along. Looks like I'm at least 2-3 weeks out from cutting anything so there's plenty of time for these plants to get fat. The Uzbeknepanama are showing tremendous hybrid vigor, I'm excited to see what an extended veg time will do for them.

Screenshot from 2020 07 17 03 12 33

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Orient Express regs are starting to pop!

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 25 14

Here's the 12/12 seedling cupboard, where the Orient Express will go once they're transplanted, until they're sexed.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 26 00

Either that or they'll be moved to the equivalent spot in the flower room, until they're starting to show sex. This spot is currently occupied with Afghanicas, Uzi F2, and Sannie's Jack. The two short plants to either side of the Siberian Haze are Sinai females 3 and 4. They emphatically did not like being put under 19 hours of light and essentially just stopped growing, now that they're under 12/12 again, they're stretching like normal.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 23 00

Once they show sex, they get their heads chopped off and revegged. Males get saved if they're vigorous and I want the genes to work with.

I've noticed that topping the plants at the same time as repotting/vegging seems to have little effect on their overall growth rate compared to fems of roughly the same age, topped and repotted the same day, that have always lived under 19/5.

That is to say, there isn't the typical delay in growth associated with switching from 12/12 to 18/6 or 19/5. The only caveat is that it doesn't work for semi-autos like the Sinai.

These are all Uzbeknepanama [(Uzbekistan x Nepalma) x (Nepalma x Uzbekistan)]. Truckloads of genetic diversity up in here, very excited to pheno hunt the F2's.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 21 13
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 21 30
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 21 47
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 24 10
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 24 24
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 24 42

Here's a bigger picture of the veg area. With the peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant in the periphery it's got a double meaning now. 😄

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 22 13

Things in flower are progressing beautifully, save for the heat damage over the last couple of days. Siberian Haze in the front middle is blowing up.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 22 27

The Sinai buds are starting to look really cool. Yeah, I'm pushing them pretty hard with nutes.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 23 13
Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 23 23

And, soon to be chopped, one of the top buds of Triple Pakistan.

Screenshot from 2020 07 23 22 23 52

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

This is a stinky closet. Pronounced earthy, musky dankness, ultra hashy. They haven't even stretched and they're already dropping pollen. Had to move one of the lights out of the flower room because the AC kept tripping the fuse when it would kick on. Eventually all the lights will be super efficient but I'm with @basscaptain in the sleeping on the floor platoon. 😄

4 Uzbeknepanama, 1 Uzi f2, 1 Sannie's Jack. After these I'm super excited for the rest of the Uzi F2, UNP, USC's Black Afghani, and RSC's Afghan Mix males that will be migrating once there's room. Some of the phenos are ultra loud even in veg.

Screenshot from 2020 08 03 10 39 36
Screenshot from 2020 08 03 10 39 49

The next round of seedlings, still rebounding from the thrips. Pretty sure they were brought in with this bag of peat that I bought, I'll see if I can switch it out.

Col'Jam and Herijuana in the back.
(ECSD x Moonshine Haze) parallel to it.
Sannie's Jack, Orient Express, and Ukhrul in the others.

Screenshot from 2020 08 02 14 41 20

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

And the cycle continues. 6 Nepalma into the seedling closet this week.

Screenshot from 2020 08 07 02 16 10

Veg. The two light green ones in the middle are Uzi F2, the one in the middle on the right is the last Uzbeknepanama. The newest additions are Vision Seeds' AKx49 x Lamb's Breath, Motherlode Kush, two of USC seeds' Black Afghani, and two RSC Afghan Mix males in the smaller pots on the left. As tiny as they are, they fucking reek and I'm excited to see what they bring.

Next to go into flower will be 710's Mango, another 707 Truthband, the Uzi F2's, the last UNP, and Lemon Citron. At that point, who knows!

Screenshot from 2020 08 07 02 21 25

This closet smells. Like feet, onions, BO, and musk. The UNP's are in the two containers on the right, the Uzis are in the one to the left. The bottom row is Sannie's Jack and two USC Black Afghani males.

Screenshot from 2020 08 07 02 15 29

Gotta say, I'm impressed with how stout those Sinai genetics are turning out. Those are some mighty fine colas for genes from halfway across the world and some hack that can barely fight off thrips.

Screenshot from 2020 08 07 02 19 49

I ended up culling those last two Sinai. They weren't growing well, looking as strong as the other two, or justifying their space in the room. I've got the genes for the F2's already, those were just bonus plants.

The newest additions to flower!

Sannie's Jack, a bunch of UNP's (4/5 total), HSO 707 Truthband, and Dinamed "Quick" flowering CBD is in the back. I put the quick in quotes because this started flowering under 19 hours of light, so there's not much more "autoflowering" than that. I'll see what that brings but I'm not super optimistic. The first Siberian Haze to flip is on the right there. Apparently there's a pheno that just doesn't stretch, like, at all. Super.

Screenshot from 2020 08 07 02 18 02

I also cut Platinum Cookies the other day (I need to find the pics and then I'll post them). It's drying right now, and Kubanskiy Ubiyza is in the freezer drying for hash. Once the leaves are crispy and there are signs of freezer burn (means the environment has started to pull water from the plant), I'll bubblify it. I wasn't super happy with the size of the buds, so it'll probably be a while before I run those genetics again. The first time I thought the buds were small because of my lights, but on this last plant there weren't many tops much thicker than my thumb.

Made some knockout hash from a bunch of odds and ends this past week and was reminded just how much I love it. I'll also compare washing buds that got rinsed with hot water to those that didn't get rinsed to see if the yield is effected by the weakened plant walls.

Next round of females is dropped! Barney's Farm G13 Haze, DNA's Lemon OG Kush, Vision Seeds' Supreme Lemon, and Greenbud's Lemon Pie. Eventually I'll probably snag a pack of Positronics Lemon Trip, just to see how the genetics differ from these and the Lemon Citron.

Next drop: Sky Cuddler Double Kush. 🥳

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Today I made some banana peel powder and fed it to the just-flipped Uzbeknepanama girls.

It's as easy as it sounds. Save banana peels, store them in the freezer, then roast in a convection oven at 475 until they're black all over, around 2 hours. Mostly to break down the smell so they don't attract pests.

Put the blackened peels into a blender with some water, 2 peels per L. It's 0-3-41, so I used a third of a liter per plant. I'm thinking that it and the fishbone meal could be my supplemental sources of P and K before flipping, along with molasses and kelp extract.

Great, now I'm in the mood for banana bread. 😄

Now that I've got the general grow and light parameters down, I wanted to refine the soil mix because of some times when I wish it would have drained quicker, as well as in reaction to some of the ladies in flower right now having mild-moderate N tox.

New recipe.

10 gallons Perlite
5 gallons coco, rehydrated and rinsed until the runoff is clear
2.5 gallons peat, also rinsed because I think that's where the thrips came from
3 gallons EWC
1 tablespoon humic/fulvic acid mix
4 cups dolomite lime
1 cup rock dust
1.75 cups Gaia Green 4-4-4

That'll end up yielding around 23 gallons. Each 3 gallon pot gets a tablespoon of fishbone meal added to it when the ladies get replanted, then the banana ash.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Made up a batch of flower booster liquid today. This will supplement the Botanicare through flower and should keep the pH relatively stable to harvest. Gonna start with 2 mL/ feed and see how that ends up.

250 mL kelp extract (1-2-5, plus B, Co, Io, Zn, Ba, Se, auxins, cytokinins, and betaines)
250 mL molasses (0-0-1, but has Ca, S, Mn, Zn, Cu, Fe, and Se)
5g powdered sulfur
5g Epsom salts (Mg)
5g banana peel powder (0-2.5-45)
5g hardwood ash (0-1-3)
10g fishbone meal (6-16-0)

All blended together until the solids are powdered, and then 2.5mL per liter of water. Might also add some Xanthan gum to this down the road to act as a wetting agent.

Last edited:
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

So a man made some hash from the plant on the far right... Kubanskiy Ubiyza. It's definitely not the greatest technical hash in the world, but it works fantastic medicinally already. Super clear, focused head high with total body muscle relaxation. You'll see the sample dab below!

IMG 20200710 211720

That got chopped and went straight into the freezer after getting the triple rinse. Left it there for a couple weeks, until the leaves on the plant started to get translucent and crispy- an indicator that the freezer is pulling moisture from the buds and weakening the cell structure of the buds. If my line of thinking is correct, that'll lead to the trichome heads washing off with less agitation.

Roughly 120g dried product in (but a lot of stem in proportion to buds).
Screenshot from 2020 08 13 16 20 04

That came out with this from the 110, 70, and 22 bags, from bottom to top. My technique isn't as refined as I'd like, so there's quite a bit of plant material that got through. I think I'm going to sub out a wooden spoon on a drill bit for the stick blender until I can find a way to keep the buds out of the blades. It's still drying so I haven't measured the final weight yet, but there's at least 20g there.

Screenshot from 2020 08 13 16 28 07

This is the other half of the 22u, after being left in the sun to soften and kneaded with a hot cuticle pusher inside the also-warm jar. Any water left gets worked out, the trichome heads get melted, and the time in the sunlight adds a bit of CBN to the final product, in addition to catalyzing the hashishene conversion process.

Screenshot from 2020 08 13 16 18 14

The test dab, with the back of the cuticle pusher still sticky from kneading.

Screenshot from 2020 08 13 16 18 43

With the rest of it, I plan to experiment. I'll keep it all in the freezer and do some pressed/unpressed comnparisons at different sizes.

I've also got an iso reduction happening from the alcohol used to wash the bags. The 22u in particular was a giant pain in the ass to clean this time because I didn't do it well last time. So the hash is technically shitty, but perfection demands progress.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

So I finally found an organic flower booster formula that I like.

It has all of the essential micronutrients between the molasses (Ca, S, Mn, Zn, Cu, Fe, Se), kelp extract (B, Su, Io, Ca, S, Si, Mn, Zn), and epsom salts (Mg).

125g molasses
300g liquid kelp extract (I might end up using kelp powder in future runs)
100g fishbone meal

Heated to a simmer and blended in a blender on high speed with:

40g banana peel powder
75g mineralized phosphate
10g hardwood ash
5g epsom salt
5g micronized sulfur

Total NPK on that is 2 - 5.5 - 5.5. It costs about $8 per 650mL, which is between 300-600 feedings. Eat dicks, Monsanto.

If my math on it is right, it should be just about pH neutral, too. Wouldn't work in hydro systems because there's sediment, but I think it'll work well with my methodology because the pH will stay constant throughout flower without salt buildup for the sativas, and the soil is more alive for amendments and reuse after chopping.

1 mL/L going into flowering, 2 mL/L through flower to flushing, in addition to the 1 mL/L of Botanicare PBP Grow until flushing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom