A little greenhouse to grow outside

• Thread starter Cattapilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cattapilla

Cattapilla

I've been thinking of adding a small greenhouse to my deck that gets plenty of sunshine for a couple more plants. Why I think a greenhouse will work is that it will keep bugs down so that I'm not bringing anything creepy in to my plants inside. This is small and compact, others have weighed them down with bricks to keep them standing during wind. I'm in Northern California in the foothills in the 1,227 elevation range. Have a better suggestion? I have plenty of time. It's still in the 30's at night for awhile. Thanks!

Little greenhouse
basscaptain

basscaptain

you can also use some 3/4 inch pvc pipe cut the end to a 45... hammer it in the ground then zip tie that to it..... go 4-5 ft high in the GH and if you went to add a fan, light ssheveling whatever you can use the pvc and add on to it

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I've been thinking of adding a small greenhouse to my deck that gets plenty of sunshine for a couple more plants. Why I think a greenhouse will work is that it will keep bugs down so that I'm not bringing anything creepy in to my plants inside. This is small and compact, others have weighed them down with bricks to keep them standing during wind. I'm in Northern California in the foothills in the 1,227 elevation range. Have a better suggestion? I have plenty of time. It's still in the 30's at night for awhile. Thanks!
first i have to ask is your deck concrete or wood?
second my thought is if you really wont to roll a green house dont go cheap,it will just ruin your day,so reason i asked questions is if it is a wood deck there will be gaps between wood,bugs still come in,that green house would not stand up to a wind storm like i get when i do,it be on the next subdivision,the 2 windows also wouldnt provide enough air in summer months i wouldnt thinh ,so you would have to put fan or a exhaust in the house therefore taking room if you dig,now you could do that but with a exhaust and opening the flaps i think you would be prone to letting bugs in anyway,not as many but some,so cheaper thought here would build you some pvc racks or square frames and spend the money on bug and bird netting instead,just a thought,anyway im probally wrong but netion of bricks lead me to believe wind is a issue and i dont see that holding up past a year if that much

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

Thank you so much for that observation. It is wood decking and I was already wondering if i'd have things crawl up through slats without tarping the deck. I like your idea of pvp and bird netting. Or even mosquito netting.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thank you so much for that observation. It is wood decking and I was already wondering if i'd have things crawl up through slats without tarping the deck. I like your idea of pvp and bird netting. Or even mosquito netting.
yep just cut pipe to length to make a square put together no glue and cover with netting,stopping most is better than none if you dig,usally the bugs come in huge group,i have found thaty aphids hit my outside veggies right around first august,damn squash vine bore worms from first of april,this is my biggest concern ,the damn things wipe out my squash ,even planting extra is just giving them extra,carrier is a wasp looking host,lay a black speck on stem close to soil ,next day the speck is orange,next day it gone and bored a hole in your stem,you should see me out there daily trying to keep up with the damn things,last year even with all my attempts by the end of the plants life i dug out min of 24 per plant,none ever made to mature and all got to sufocate in a jar,i had over 200 when i was finished and then i burned the plants.
so netting and pvc is already in my plan for coming season,since hospital gig,im not going to get to my big garden and just my container garden behind the house so netting is a good thing ,from the cash flow that would have gone to big garden ,that cash for small containers will, keep my head above water with the cost and can be used for years

basscaptain

basscaptain

Top Bottom