A little help for 1st timer.

• Thread starter Justsethpc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I had a similar problem on my 2nd grow earlier this year. I’m new to this as well but I made a huge mistake of starting my autos in a small cup and then transferred to final bag and it stunted them hardcore and didn’t grow for about 2 weeks. By that time it was too late and they went to flower and one was about 6 inches, one was about 12 inches and the third a little bigger. Just plant in their final pot 3 or 5 gal and research watering. My 3rd grow I planted in a 3 gal with FFOF and did 24hours of light, outdoors during day and moved to a LED in my non climate controlled garage overnight. Kinda a pain moving it every night but It worked out. I did a little LST and have six good size buds getting fat and ready. I followed the advice of a reddit thread. . Not sure if I’m allowed to post it but it helped me figure it out and get some confidence. Just don’t follow the nute part if your using a fertile soil. He used a light mix and therefore used AN nutes. They are a waste of money IMO because they weren’t necessary with a Auto and good soil. Look for the ballin on a budget thread for some good nute advise or look for the secret to organic success by the infamous ComfortablyNumb if you don’t want to mess with nutes. Just have fun with it and remember less is more (especially with water and nutes)!

Genomeprotocol

Genomeprotocol

So I have 3 Blue dream plants that were germinated May 1st, I probably screwed up and already transferred them to 5 gallon pots. Well, after 2 months they are only about 5 inches tall, but while digging around the pots, they have some really thick roots. I water them with dechlorinated water once the top 2 inches gets dry, keep them on a 12 on 12off schedule. Plenty of airflow, keep it right around 75°f and about 65% humidity. Any particular reason these damn things are not growing like they should? Also forgot to mention they are autoflowering.

this smells like a light cycle issue. Some plants flowering genes might be active when 12/12 periods. Try increasing the on cycle so that the plant doesn’t think it’s summer going into fall time. We’re interested to know what resolves your issue.

Genomeprotocol

Genomeprotocol

Do you pH bala
I had a similar problem on my 2nd grow earlier this year. I’m new to this as well but I made a huge mistake of starting my autos in a small cup and then transferred to final bag and it stunted them hardcore and didn’t grow for about 2 weeks. By that time it was too late and they went to flower and one was about 6 inches, one was about 12 inches and the third a little bigger. Just plant in their final pot 3 or 5 gal and research watering. My 3rd grow I planted in a 3 gal with FFOF and did 24hours of light, outdoors during day and moved to a LED in my non climate controlled garage overnight. Kinda a pain moving it every night but It worked out. I did a little LST and have six good size buds getting fat and ready. I followed the advice of a reddit thread. . Not sure if I’m allowed to post it but it helped me figure it out and get some confidence. Just don’t follow the nute part if your using a fertile soil. He used a light mix and therefore used AN nutes. They are a waste of money IMO because they weren’t necessary with a Auto and good soil. Look for the ballin on a budget thread for some good nute advise or look for the secret to organic success by the infamous ComfortablyNumb if you don’t want to mess with nutes. Just have fun with it and remember less is more (especially with water and nutes)

do you pH balance when/after you dilute nutrients?

Mrb53

Mrb53

Autoflowers bloom based on hormones, not light schedules. so more light = bigger harvest. I transplant autos (CERTAIN STRAINS - gsc, bruce, frankenstein, tangerine) to EXTEND their grow. You can push a 12 week autoflower to 20 weeks, massively increasing bud size. Certain strains do stress but good nutrition, lighting---can cause them to extend. When roots find MORE ROOM, the growth hormones are more powerful than flowering hormones.
I also try to use bio-degradable cups (coco, peat, paper mache, etc..) so they just get transposed to a larger growing environment (bigger pot).

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Autoflowers mature by age so looking at it that’s al it’s ever going to be. I would start over and if your using autos you want to try not to hinder their growth by overwatering and stressing the plant bc that will stunt the growth like it has here. I know it’s disappointing but start fresh and never give up! You will know after while how a plant is supposed to grow and about what size it should be at so and so weeks old. Also use 18-6 the whole time or even 20-4 light cycle. I feel photoperiod plants are more forgiving bc if you do mess up and overwater and slow growth you can just give them more time till the reach the right size to initiate flowering (budding).
I agree with this assessment. I'll be sure to send him an assortment of both photoperiod, and autos, so he can practice both. Plus a few backups and spares.

I think in the end here, when you've only got 3 seeds or whatnot, the pressure really puts you under the 8 ball, and it's difficult to learn. This will alleviate the pressure some. True learning comes with a few failures, some success, and then adjusting that strategy, continually making progress. I'm pretty confident we can help him all fronts, TBH.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

I agree with this assessment. I'll be sure to send him an assortment of both photoperiod, and autos, so he can practice both. Plus a few backups and spares.

I think in the end here, when you've only got 3 seeds or whatnot, the pressure really puts you under the 8 ball, and it's difficult to learn. This will alleviate the pressure some. True learning comes with a few failures, some success, and then adjusting that strategy, continually making progress. I'm pretty confident we can help him all fronts, TBH.
These guys are right. They have helped me also. I am on my first grow. I've had some issues with a few things. The biggest piece of advice i have learned so far is don't over love your plants. Use quality nutes or soil or whatever you use. And less is more. Just because a feeding schedule says you can give your plants 9/ml of bloom per gallon. I do hydro. And have a 50 gallon res. Thats 450 mls i have to put in on about my 5th week of flower. But i don't. I go by the light feeding schedule. So less is more definitely. Good luck. You got this @Justsethpc

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Autoflowers bloom based on hormones, not light schedules. so more light = bigger harvest. I transplant autos (CERTAIN STRAINS - gsc, bruce, frankenstein, tangerine) to EXTEND their grow. You can push a 12 week autoflower to 20 weeks, massively increasing bud size. Certain strains do stress but good nutrition, lighting---can cause them to extend. When roots find MORE ROOM, the growth hormones are more powerful than flowering hormones.
I also try to use bio-degradable cups (coco, peat, paper mache, etc..) so they just get transposed to a larger growing environment (bigger pot).
Thank you for that crazy knowledge drop about extending their growth to 20 weeks. I’ve noticed in my first few grows that they never finish in the short time spans listed on the growers specs but never 20 weeks. Do mind sharing a little more details on when you do this? Do you go from like a 1 gal to a 3 gal or a 3 to a 5 gal? And what week do you make the move? I’m assuming your doing light soil or coco where you can completely control the nutrients? I’ve had such bad luck transplanting them I alway get stunted. I get why many don’t grow them because they are so sensitive but it’s amazing to see some auto growers get insane results in such a short time.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Do you pH bala

do you pH balance when/after you dilute nutrients?
Yes, I just use tap water left to sit 24 hours. I do a little lemon squeeze and use the pH drop tester kit and get it to about 6-6.5. I’ve heard the ascorbic acid is good for the girls and I’ve never had an issue starting with pH balanced soil. I’ve checked the runoff a couple times and it has stayed true. I’ve been using AN nutes for some reason and it’s advertised as perfect pH and they seem to hold tru to that statement.

Mrb53

Mrb53

Thank you for that crazy knowledge drop about extending their growth to 20 weeks. I’ve noticed in my first few grows that they never finish in the short time spans listed on the growers specs but never 20 weeks. Do mind sharing a little more details on when you do this? Do you go from like a 1 gal to a 3 gal or a 3 to a 5 gal? And what week do you make the move? I’m assuming your doing light soil or coco where you can completely control the nutrients? I’ve had such bad luck transplanting them I alway get stunted. I get why many don’t grow them because they are so sensitive but it’s amazing to see some auto growers get insane results in such a short time.
here are a few links from a friend of mine
schwazzing
revegging autos

they explain how transplanting extends the life cycle of autoflower plants...
there is no special time as flowering starts early and continues throughout the flower cycle. I trans plant from 1 to 2 or 3 gal and then to 5 gal..my lifecycles are usually 120-140 days
The key is nutrients, lights and a solid genus....this is where GOOD seeds come into play. It is also why I like Franksters seeds so much...Most seed companies have sold out to corporations / greed.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

here are a few links from a friend of mine
schwazzing
revegging autos

they explain how transplanting extends the life cycle of autoflower plants...
there is no special time as flowering starts early and continues throughout the flower cycle. I trans plant from 1 to 2 or 3 gal and then to 5 gal..my lifecycles are usually 120-140 days
The key is nutrients, lights and a solid genus....this is where GOOD seeds come into play. It is also why I like Franksters seeds so much...Most seed companies have sold out to corporations / greed.
Wow that is insane! Mind blown. I appreciate those who find ways to prove the haters and naysayers wrong. Alright, time to order more shit on Amazon!

Top Bottom