A Little Help In Choosing The Right Iso.

• Thread starter Hoyunka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hoyunka

Been looking into a new ISO then what I have been using. The pharmacy I usually get my 99.93% ISO from said it is on backorder. Well... I have about 16 zips of flower that I need to convert to RSO... so I went into amazon and found a great deal on ISO... the only thing is it says it is “anhydrous”. Any clue exactly what this actually is... google search says it’s all water removed.... so what is the 1% that isn’t pure ISO??? Any help would be great

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

when I did ISO extractions I got the Swan 99% ISO on Amazon. worked well. Swan is 99%ISO 1% water

Been looking into a new ISO then what I have been using. The pharmacy I usually get my 99.93% ISO from said it is on backorder. Well... I have about 16 zips of flower that I need to convert to RSO... so I went into amazon and found a great deal on ISO... the only thing is it says it is “anhydrous”. Any clue exactly what this actually is... google search says it’s all water removed.... so what is the 1% that isn’t pure ISO??? Any help would be great

Graywolf

Graywolf

Anhydrous means 100% Isopropanol, with no water present, or at least until you remove the lid and atmospheric humidity hits it. The balance in 99% is water.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

91% is adding 9% water to your meds. That is a lot of water to try and remove later. Better to start with 99.9% and try and remove .01 of water. Start as pure as you can. Need to get into that Heisenberg frame of mind.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've used 91% with good result as well. Water will evap off, may take anothern10 hrs or so.

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

Keep in mind too that anhydrous alcohol is not necesarily the most effective solvent system for disolving the target compound. There is a reason that iso and water are mixed at 70/30 ratio and used as "rubbing alcohol" for disinfectng in hospitals. The reason is that pure iso will denature the proteins on the outside cell wall of germs immediately which makes it impossible for the pure iso to penetrate the cell wall effectively. If they cannot penetrate a germs cell wall then it cannot denature the DNA and destroy the organism. Doctors found that a dilution to 70% overcomes this problem.

I once also read a study done in the early 1900's in which they were interested in plant seperations on a production scale and wished to test what things removed chlorophyls and such from leafy plants. They too discovered that a much more polar formula such as a 70/30 alcohol to water ratio was more effective than alcohol alone. The problem they too identified was getting the solvent past plant cell walls similar to how doctors needed to get it past germ cell walls. In our plants we target THC for extraction. THC will indeed disolve in water at a rate of about 2.8 grams of THC to one liter of water at room temp (23C).

This tells me that THC will indeed favor the more polar solvents out there and perhaps even a more polar mix of alcohol and water at aome ratio. I use methanol myself because it is cheap to get in high purity and unlike iso or ethanol methanol can be seperatd from water completely by fractional distillation. Methanol will not form an azotrope with water like other alcohols.

P

progeny-prodigy

Keep in mind too that anhydrous alcohol is not necesarily the most effective solvent system for disolving the target compound. There is a reason that iso and water are mixed at 70/30 ratio and used as "rubbing alcohol" for disinfectng in hospitals. The reason is that pure iso will denature the proteins on the outside cell wall of germs immediately which makes it impossible for the pure iso to penetrate the cell wall effectively. If they cannot penetrate a germs cell wall then it cannot denature the DNA and destroy the organism. Doctors found that a dilution to 70% overcomes this problem.

I once also read a study done in the early 1900's in which they were interested in plant seperations on a production scale and wished to test what things removed chlorophyls and such from leafy plants. They too discovered that a much more polar formula such as a 70/30 alcohol to water ratio was more effective than alcohol alone. The problem they too identified was getting the solvent past plant cell walls similar to how doctors needed to get it past germ cell walls. In our plants we target THC for extraction. THC will indeed disolve in water at a rate of about 2.8 grams of THC to one liter of water at room temp (23C).

This tells me that THC will indeed favor the more polar solvents out there and perhaps even a more polar mix of alcohol and water at aome ratio. I use methanol myself because it is cheap to get in high purity and unlike iso or ethanol methanol can be seperatd from water completely by fractional distillation. Methanol will not form an azotrope with water like other alcohols.

i hav also seen studies that show co2 expanded ethanol more effective then pure ethanol for the same reason

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

Maybe an extra hour or 2 with an exhaust fan
I also use a blower fan attached to a 6 inch carbon filter in my lab area for evaporation quickly. It is the kind meant for grow tents. The filter helps keep odor down in my home but also the blower sits atop the lab table at the back. I place anything needing evap on the table in front of the blower. It is very quick irregardless of the liquid put there. Even the water that can build up in these solvents will evap off pretty fast so long as the surface of the fluid is being rippled by the blower fan.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I also use a blower fan attached to a 6 inch carbon filter in my lab area for evaporation quickly. It is the kind meant for grow tents. The filter helps keep odor down in my home but also the blower sits atop the lab table at the back. I place anything needing evap on the table in front of the blower. It is very quick irregardless of the liquid put there. Even the water that can build up in these solvents will evap off pretty fast so long as the surface of the fluid is being rippled by the blower fan.

With ethanol, we pick up extra water from atmospheric humidity, blowing it across the hygroscopic 190 proof. When the puddle gets down to the beige colored water, we stick it in the freezer to solidify the oil and then pour most of the water off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom