A little new to this, general question

• Thread starter Msm1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Msm1

So I am a little new to this, in any case we transplanted two a week ago that were about two feet tall into a little bit of a marshy, outdoors area, and it has rained very frequently for the last week. We included perolite with potting soil, and flipped the piece of sod out of the spot where we dug our pit, so we had a good base. Now I checked the plants today, and the soil is still fairly saturated, so I'm a little confused. The bottoms of the plants are starting to look a little yellow/brown and a little bit brittle, and starting to twist a bit. I thought fairly indicative of N/P/K being a hair low. So my question is

What would one really see if the plants were overwatered, and can you really overwater? I would assume dry brittle plants would have top leaves that would be the most dry as the plant pulls the water up through the roots, but the top leaves look great.

Thank you for your time!

P

paulycali

Yes you can overwater

They look like droopy sad plants

The bottom leaves will turn yellow naturally as the upper portion of the plant needs more nitrogen then the lower leaves. I like to pull all those leaves off prior to flowering. Lollipopping the plant is what that is called. Makes for bigger top nugs and no swappy airy lower buds. All dense nugs everywhere

Are the lower leaves shaded and not getting much light? Lack of light can do this for sure

Your problem is very minor and so don't worry about it to much unless the yellowing starts to work its way up the plant. If that happens then you will need to add some nitrogen enriched nutrient. If that doesn't work then you might have a ph lock due to the overwatering with all that marsh land and rainy weather. Hopefully its not that. If it is wait for the soil to dry out and then flush with plain water.

Good luck and hope you get a successful harvest. You can do it :)

M

Msm1

Thank you for the reply. Ya I think I am over thinking this a bit, I'm just gonna keep a good eye on it, and watch the condition of the soil closely. Thanks for the insight, I know my biology well enough to keep things on the up-and-up, and I think it really is in the soil as the sun is able to hit the lower leaves....

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If I was you I would get some neem oil extract from Lowes/Home Depot. Its about $10 a bottle and you use 2 tbsp. per gallon of water. The reason I say this is because you are in a wet area and mold/mildew and fungi and easily destroy your plants, including bugs too.

I just put 2 ladies out a few weeks ago and I already started seeing some white spots on leaves and black spots on the base of the stem, also I had some dead leaves that were yellow and brown. I sprayed them with neem oil and a week later they looked alot better, then I sprayed them again just 2 days ago. No more yellow/brown leaves and no more mold/mildew spots for me. Keep your plants safe with some neem oil, good luck. Here is a pic of how they look now, after I sprayed them down.

Outdoor 1

M

Msm1

I appreciate the feedback! I'm gonna try that as well. So I checked again today, one looks fairly good, the other is really starting to worry me. It looks like the plant is drying out, like the leaves are starting to dry out hard, but i checked the soil and it is absolutely moist, so I made sure to aerate around the soil, and i mixed in a little more dry potting soil, but made sure not to get into the roots as I would avoid damage. I'm gonna let it settle over night as the rains have stopped for a few days, and then to check again. I am gonna get a pic or so as well... Thanks again!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yeap, thats how mine looked after the first week outdoors, really dry with some leaves all shrivaled up. After I picked off the dead leaves and sprayed it with neem oil the week after that it looked great. I'm not sure if it was just the neem, but you should go ahead and try it because its not gonna hurt, good luck bro.

M

Msm1

Ya, I'm definitely going to try that. It can't hurt, and something like that is a great idea. Thanks again for the insight, I appreciate being able to utilize the help of some experienced growers...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No prob, it won't hurt and will only do good, one more thing, keep a close eye on your buds during flowering so they don't get moldy because of the wet environment.

P

paulycali

Mixing in some beneficial bacterias mycorryze would work wonders for you ladies

Have you added any bennies????

M

Msm1

I assume bennies meaning the bacteria? Ya, that is a great idea. In theory that would work a lot like the corn in the area that has the mycogen/BT integrated into the seed, I don't know if its spliced into the genome of the corn or a separate plasmid in the corn. But in any case, if thats what you are referring to (the beneficial bacteria), that is a great idea. I never really thought of that.

P

paulycali

Yep beneficial bacteria

Powdered or liquid form

Great stuff and should help you out for sure big time

Good luck :)

Top Bottom