A little Rotovap job tonight

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So here is a choppy, crappy, most definitely terrible video of what I was doing tonight while getting schooled on lighting in another thread. If more than @Aqua Man want to see this stuff, I'll do a better job and take you thru the whole process from post harvest to cannabinoid crystals in jars. I've got some thoughts on how to use this stuff too from a purely medicinal standpoint.

Seriously, I'll get someone to hold the camera and actually plan things out if anyone else out there is my kinda crazy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So here is a choppy, crappy, most definitely terrible video of what I was doing tonight while getting schooled on lighting in another thread. If more than @Aqua Man want to see this stuff, I'll do a better job and take you thru the whole process from post harvest to cannabinoid crystals in jars. I've got some thoughts on how to use this stuff too from a purely medicinal standpoint.

Seriously, I'll get someone to hold the camera and actually plan things out if anyone else out there is my kinda crazy.

I'm changing your user name to Walter White.... so in awe of this.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Thank you for that video. Get a gopro with the chest strap and BAM you’ll be making paramount pictures type shit. Very informative and very interesting. Subbed for this.
Burnz

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I want to see the product that comes outta that freeze dryer lol. Do you make live rosin? Or cold pressed rosin? Or whatever they call it lol.

I got some vid of the Freeze dry I'll dig it up.

So, this will take a bit to explain, so I'll give you the short version first.

Yes, I do have a press. It was the first mistake I bought in this extraction game. But if someone wants to try, I got a really nice one for sale I guess.

What I do is essentially this:

Grow
Harvest - manicured bud
Air Dry
Cure
Use as flower or as input to the next tree***

Grow
Harvest - just chop that shit up yo (I really like not having to trim:/ )
Immediately freeze dry (97% of both Terps and cannabinoids make it thru this alive, waaaay more than normal curing)
Stuff it in a 2 qt mason jar
Do some stuff with ethanol time temp and filtration
Rotovap
Decarb under vacuum
Run that thru a Chromatography Column
End up with cannabinoid crystals separated into little glass jars

At this point you have lost all your terps. Put them back by mixing in some non-decarbed concentrate of your favorite cultivar***, and now you have total control of the components of the medicine.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Beautiful setup! I must say its awfully green though, are you making green dragon or RSO or something? I like the wash to come out without all that chlorophyll. Unless of course you are also going to run it through a short path fractional distillation process afterwards.

Mine looks like this before I evap.
20200809 194354

And after evap like this..
20200823 105204

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My process does not care about plant matter, it is 100% filtered out in the column. I can make ethanol any color I want, but what you are seeing is the combined product of several washes in an attempt to remove as close to 100% of the cannabinoids as possible.

With your light yellow wash, you are leaving a significant amount of cannabinoids left on the plant.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
My process does not care about plant matter, it is 100% filtered out in the column. I can make ethanol any color I want, but what you are seeing is the combined product of several washes in an attempt to remove as close to 100% of the cannabinoids as possible.

With your light yellow wash, you are leaving a significant amount of cannabinoids left on the plant.

True.. but i also do it with about $4 worth of equipment and still average about 14% return, and the oil tests out anywhere from high 80's to low 90's cannabinoid percentage.

Anyway, cool setup. Dont mean to turn it i to a pissing match.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag do you TLC test?

Not sure what that even means.. lol, I used to send it to a lab in Cobble hill for cannabinoid testing. I dont anymore though since its expensive and always tests pretty near the same level of cannabinoid. the only things that change are what cannabinoids are present and in what percentages theyre present.

I just do it mostly for my own edibles now. I decarb it and capsulate it with MCT and lecithin.
20201115 203108

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Anyway, cool setup. Dont mean to turn it i to a pissing match.

Naw man I don't go there if I can help it. I'm here to learn.

I'm not suggesting what you are doing is in any way wrong or ineffective. We have different end goals completely. What we have in common is we both use eth to remove trichomes from weed. That makes us brothers in this thing I'm pretty sure.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Naw man I don't go there if I can help it. I'm here to learn.

I'm not suggesting what you are doing is in any way wrong or ineffective. We have different end goals completely. What we have in common is we both use eth to remove trichomes from weed. That makes us brothers in this thing I'm pretty sure.

Absolutely! Id love to see more about the column seperation of cannabinoids. I used to provide a lot of my product to a friend with a distiller that would break it down further for distillate pens etc. Personally i have no need to seperate it to that degree but the science is super neat.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nice bag there. We did a lot with tinctures early on, but we blew right past the edibles. Funny story, I totally don't consume. One time a few years ago my wife is making white widow cookies (we are total noobs) and after a couple hours, nothing happens. She tells me she thinks she screwed something up. So I try one. Again, I haven't smoked a joint since college while this is happening. An hour and a half later nothing, so I tell my wife, "shit, I'm just eating cookies at this point" and grab a few and head to the couch.

I went on such a trip, I was high for a day and a half. What a weekend that was.

With the liver involvement of edibles, we just couldn't find a proper dosage level that was repeatable when you swallow cannabinoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom