A Little Tincture Experiment

• Thread starter ziplock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ziplock

ziplock

I decided to give another shot at tincture making, and it turned into an experiment of sorts.
Materials: 1 qt. of chopped, decarbed sugarleaf, quart jar w/lid, 1 fifth of Everclear (190 proof)
Note: There are lots of ways of doing this. I'm just sharing the results of what happened here.

Process 1: Put all ingredients, including jar and lid, into freezer. Leave in there for a few hours, so everything ail;l be near to 0 Deg.F. Pull everything out, and immediately pop the weed into jar, fill jar to cover material. Shake briskly for a 1 or 2 minutes, and place back in freezer. The idea is to keep the mix as cold as possible until it's strained.
Wait until the jar is well-chilled, remove it from the freezer and immediately strain the liquid into another glass jar using a funnel with a coffee filter inserted. The result is what you see in the large jar in the photo below.
I found that my "grounds" had a lot of stink still in them, so I decided to see what I'd get if I reprocessed the weed.

Process 2: I stuck the wet weed into another jar, filled in to weed depth again, and shook well. Note that I didn't make a point of getting everything really cold this time. The results can be seen in the middle jar.
Tinctures

Observations: the second jar picked up a LOT more chlorophyll than did the first, and the second jar had none of the brown tint that the first jar did. Let's assume that THC isn't majorly responsible for the honey color. All I can think of is that the tint was partially carbonized, and was soluble in ethyl alcohol.

Regarding the second jar: By this time, the leaf was relatively free of the brown coloration, so when it was reprocessed with fresh Everclear, no brown component was left to tint the mix, but the chlorophyll sure made a contribution. How? 2 possibilities: 1) The temps of the materials were up again after the first processing, not to mention the jar itself, which was room temp, so maybe the 5% water in the alcohol had a more pronounced effect; and/or 2) The chlorophyll took longer to dissolve, so the majority of it ended up in jar 2 because the plant matter had longer to soak.

My next step is to do human testing on the efficacy of this product, and I've chosen to use myself as the tested. (Somebody's got to do it.) After that, I'll decide if I want the solutions more concentrated.

Does anyone have any experience to comment pro or con on my assumptions? Or, care to make a comment, or have an idea how this info might be used? I can't wait to see what kind of potency the two jars have. If I weren't so cheap, I'd have them lab tested. It would be more determinate, less fun.

Oh, the third jar is some questionable tincture processed with chamomile, after I had filtered it again. At some point, all (?) the good stuff had precipitated on the inside of its original jar in a black nasty film.

ziplock

ziplock

Did you decarboxylate the material before using it?

If not, then the THC will not be activated... It will be THC-C
I learned that lesson a while ago. I mentioned "decarbed" sugar leaf in the Materials section, but you can't repeat it too often. Decarb first, children, or your results will not make you happy, or even amused.

ziplock

ziplock

Progress report. Effects from first tincture (honey color).
1/4 tsp with a couple oz. of Diet Coke occasional user

First trial:
I shouldn't have lain down before the effects kicked in- about 1-1/2 hrs. Guess I read for an hour, then got couchlock. Fell asleep

Second Trial: 1/2 tsp.+ in 2 oz wine habitual user
My jar wouldn't pour for crap, and my tincture was dribbling onto the tablecloth. So he said " Pour it over the glass!" I did, and he got better than 3/4 tsp. A while later, I won 2 games of cribbage from him, but he went home very happy. Next afternoon he said he was still stoned.

So much for scientific measurement. I've got to do this again, first with 1/4 oz., and then adjust dosage based on the effects. I'm also going to convert teaspoons to drops for more accurate -and less messy- dosing. I'll continue to post results as I experiment.

ziplock

ziplock

Did you decarboxylate the material before using it?

If not, then the THC will not be activated... It will be THC-C
Had done that vein an earlier attempt. It was THC-so-so. Actually, you could get more relaxed on a square of chocolate.

ziplock

ziplock

For what it's worth, I found that 30 drops of this batch is enough for a really good buzz for someone who is somewhat resistant. (I think it's the PTSD meds that are responsible for the resistance, as I am not a daily consumer). I don't want it more potent than that. It makes dosing easier to figure, less chance of too much of a good thing.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

As for the chlorophyll jar, put it under a t8 6500k light for 24 hrs, sunlight, or the like. The green will dissappear and be golden when done.

ziplock

ziplock

As for the chlorophyll jar, put it under a t8 6500k light for 24 hrs, sunlight, or the like. The green will dissappear and be golden when done.
Thanks! That simplifies things. But it might take a while, 24 hours of sun. Did I mention I live in Seattle?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Put it under a t8 light. Simple enough. Move a plant or a few clones aside.

Top Bottom