A lot of little black bugs

• Thread starter clobelcreations
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

clobelcreations

can anyone tell me if these are aphids? There are a lot of them all over the place and possibly chewing little holes in the leaves.
Thanks for the help

A lot of little black bugs
A lot of little black bugs 2
A lot of little black bugs 3
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
You know what’s strange is they don’t seem to be feeding of the plant
I see them but I can’t see any damage.

I’m wondering if it’s a bug that eats or damages cannabis as with that amount you’d definitely expect to see damage

C

clobelcreations

They look like the standard bugs that are in the BAS soil and Colorado worm castings. They just seem to be all over.

At the same time, I’ve been using foliar spray with aloe and coconut but mixed in earlier this week. I figured that was partly spoiled and they are consuming that as a snack. There are some holes but I thought they were light burn from foliar spraying without turning the lights down

IMG 2899
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Yeah that’s looks like foliar spay damage more than it does bug damage

Your probably right I don’t use Bas however I think there harmless more of a nuisance with them popping on the leaves.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Do you have a way to take a magnified picture? A picture of the underside of the leaves might also be helpful for diagnosis. I'd look for eggs. They might lay their eggs in the soil.

I can't tell if they are crawling on the mulch and can't see any on the grass. They must be eating something, though, so I wouldn't rule out them eating the plant, especially because that's where they are visible.

IIRC, oil-based foliar sprays are more likely to cause leaf burn, so also, I wouldn't rule that out as being a cause of the leaf damage. One way to tell would be to stop spraying and watch to see if the damage worsens. An alcohol or peroxide spray that kills by desiccation might slow their reproduction. I'd also remove leaves that are touching the soil or the mulch.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Do you have a way to take a magnified picture? A picture of the underside of the leaves might also be helpful for diagnosis. I'd look for eggs. They might lay their eggs in the soil.

I can't tell if they are crawling on the mulch and can't see any on the grass. They must be eating something, though, so I wouldn't rule out them eating the plant, especially because that's where they are visible.

IIRC, oil-based foliar sprays are more likely to cause leaf burn, so also, I wouldn't rule that out as being a cause of the leaf damage. One way to tell would be to stop spraying and watch to see if the damage worsens. An alcohol or peroxide spray that kills by desiccation might slow their reproduction. I'd also remove leaves that are touching the soil or the mulch.

If you mean hay by mulch if you zoom in there are a few on it.

My only concern with peroxide is it will kill the good bugs. Unless you spay it on them and not the soil then yeah I guess that would do no harm

Not saying your wrong or anything like that just saying

At first I thought they maybe hay bugs but I searched and it seems most are stripy

If there normally in his soil wouldn’t you think they would feed on something else just a thought no more no less 👍🙂

N

Natep

If they are not eating the plant they could be beneficial. They have to eat something

C

clobelcreations

I’m pretty sure they are beneficial as well. Going to pause on foliar spraying a for a couple days then see if they chill on the plant.

Good point about the leaves touching the straw. Trying to force some stretch now then going to prune.

Top Bottom