A Nice HID Grow Light

• Thread starter Munchiezzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

Looking for 2 nice 600 or 1000 Watt HID Grow Lights. Looking to possibly run 2 HID in a 4x10x8 grow room instead of LED. I can get 2 HID lights for less than 1 LED grow light and still have money left over.

What is a good brand?

What do I look for in a HID?

What reflector is best? (I was looking at air-cooled)

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm guessing you're talking about single end bulbs if the setup is that much less than LED.

There are a lot of good HID bulbs out there at low prices, due to all the competition from LED these days. See what you're local grow shops carry. If you want a brand, consider Hortilux. Their 1000W HPS Hortilux Eye bulb used to be over $100, you can get it for half that now.

Get an electronic ballast (not magnetic). I'm partial to Solis Tek, but there could be plenty of other decent brands. You can use both MH and HPS in them, just adjust the voltage for the bulb. A 1000W ballast can also do 600 and 400 bulbs.

I've had one reflector for about ten years. I'm sure there are better ones, so I will not recommend it here, but I can't complain.

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

Get an electronic ballast (not magnetic). I'm partial to Solis Tek, but there could be plenty of other decent brands. You can use both MH and HPS in them, just adjust the voltage for the bulb. A 1000W ballast can also do 600 and 400 bulbs.
I did not know that you can use lower wattage bulbs. That's pretty cool.

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

I read that getting a 1000 watt setup sets you up for more light penetration and more grams per watt, however a 600-watt is more efficient.

So I face the Dilemma, going with 2 1000w HID, with 2 600 watt HID, or dishin out a little extra money and going with 2 Mars Hydro TS3000 or Spider Farmer SF4000. So about $1,000 if I go LED or $500 if I go HID.

m8ty

m8ty

Get the dimmable ballast and go with the two 1000 that you can dim.

cottageman

cottageman

If you’re going with hid lighting luxx seems to be the best company out right now. They just put up a par map showing that their 750w hps light has the same average par as the gavita de 1000w. I have both gavita and luxx hps lights and I am planning on swapping all of my gavita lights for luxx because I’ve seen a noticeable difference between the two

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you’re going with hid lighting luxx seems to be the best company out right now. They just put up a par map showing that their 750w hps light has the same average par as the gavita de 1000w. I have both gavita and luxx hps lights and I am planning on swapping all of my gavita lights for luxx because I’ve seen a noticeable difference between the two

Are these DE or SE?

greenscholar

greenscholar

I use to have phantoms and galaxies 1000 watt ballast, I tried some cheap ones but the buzzing annoyed the hell out of me. blockbuster hoods and hortilux bulbs. but your talking 800 new. I picked up my last one for 200 bucks hood and ballast on facebook market place.

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

I also just came across the Phlizon Cob LEDs. They dont seem to bad. Definitely not top of the line but comparable to the Optic 4, 6, and 8. And for a third of the price.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

I also just came across the Phlizon Cob LEDs. They dont seem to bad. Definitely not top of the line but comparable to the Optic 4, 6, and 8. And for a third of the price.

I’ve got cobs and they are pretty impressive but I need to add more.
The thing that really sucks is they (my lights and Philizon cobs too) have built in fans that blow heat into your tent and it’s been a bitch to deal with cause I can’t just vent it directly out but I’m dealing.
if you went quantum board led you could keep the driver outside of the tent to help with heat.
But I don’t think heat will be an issue for you in your garage set up so you could go anything the worlds your oyster man. Unless you don’t like oysters then pick something.

I think led will be cheapest long run but I might be wrong.

I’m rambling. I didn’t mean to finish the whole joint.

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

I’ve got cobs and they are pretty impressive but I need to add more.
The thing that really sucks is they (my lights and Philizon cobs too) have built in fans that blow heat into your tent and it’s been a bitch to deal with cause I can’t just vent it directly out but I’m dealing.
if you went quantum board led you could keep the driver outside of the tent to help with heat.
But I don’t think heat will be an issue for you in your garage set up so you could go anything the worlds your oyster man. Unless you don’t like oysters then pick something.

I think led will be cheapest long run but I might be wrong.

I’m rambling. I didn’t mean to finish the whole joint.
Isn't that the way it always goes. I'll take just a couple hits... And before you know it 4 grams are gone LOL

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

I've definitely lost weed a few times....or thought so. Ended leaving it in the grinder. Or my dog and cats like weed baggies and hide them....lol shitheads lol

Cracken

Cracken

have you looked at Alibaba. some LEDs there are much better prices. I picked up a 6 panel monster board that is 600W at the wall for $650 Canadian.

IanGrowSom

IanGrowSom

Looking for 2 nice 600 or 1000 Watt HID Grow Lights. Looking to possibly run 2 HID in a 4x10x8 grow room instead of LED. I can get 2 HID lights for less than 1 LED grow light and still have money left over.

What is a good brand?

What do I look for in a HID?

What reflector is best? (I was looking at air-cooled)
I was on the fence like you as well, get 2 HID or one LED. I tried to read all about and convinced myself that even tough its a bit more expensive LEDs would be better. The options I looked at were 2 1000W HPS-MH or 1 iL8X from Iluminar. I decided on the iL8x and glad I made that call. Make sure you look them up

Latest posts

Top Bottom