A potential danger of silica u must be aware of.

• Thread starter azmmjadvocates
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

I think that's a bit far-fetched for now, but who knows is always the best position to take in science when you're convinced that no one does.

Silicon hydroxides are formed by passing water vapor over SiO2 at about 800deg Celsius, so if you can pump that kind of heat--yes you can produce this stuff.

I have a kiln, no prob with the heat thats less temp than working copper or silver. it's just a matter of the O2 injection. So basically your getting the obsidian to melt into the H20 vapor and catching the runoff. Sounds easy until thinking about how to cool it rapidly which I assume you'd have to do with Co2? Is there some test I could confirm it worked? ixnay on the booom aye. Naaa not going to inject water into my kiln lol I
guess this thread is closed.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

HMMM, "While fused quartz (primarily composed of SiO2) is used for some special applications, it is not very common due to its high glass transition temperature of over 1200 °C (2192 °F).[3] Normally, other substances are added to simplify processing. One is sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, "soda"), which lowers the glass transition temperature. However, the soda makes the glass water soluble, which is usually undesirable" ? Is this why it buffers and increases ph? So I wonder with obsidian not being as hard if it would transition much cooler with Na2C03 added?

Top Bottom