A Proper Pot Job Resume?

• Thread starter DustinBowls
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DustinBowls

Can anyone with some insight into the hiring process of marijuana producers clue me in to what makes a more appealing resume?

I would like to apply for a trim job coming up in september. I've worked on huge pot farms and trimmed for weeks at a time. I know I can work quickly and uniformly, a dry lb a day or more depending on the bud shape and if I'm working with uppers or lowers.

Do they look for people who have worked on farms, or am I better off listing retail/warehouse experience and leaving marijuana related jobs I've worked in the past off?

I just don't want to put information on my resume that will automatically disqualify me. Of all the dispensaries I've gone to in Washington, it seems like most of the employees are fresh and had nothing to do with the old pre-recreational workforce. That makes me hesitant to include any pre-rec aka medical experience I have, vast and impressive as it is to me.

So thankful in advance, Dustin.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Good luck, I kicked off my traditional resume to some places without ever getting a response. If your past mj jobs can give a reference I would say include them. I was looking at more inventory management positions so wasn't helpful, but I would assume most places would like industry experience. I would not mention working illegal grows.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I don't think the industry matters much, if you have relevant experience that you think would follow or help at a new job, I wouldn't hesitate to mention it. You can be respectful of those who have different beliefs if you respectfully word your resume. I'm sure some would say fuck that for a multitude of reasons. I have a childhood friend who never smoked, never drank, got his business degree and was working for a defense contractor. He applied for an inventory control system job and was accepted with no experience in the industry, and he's done well for himself.

Do you have strong references? I think X is right to not mention the illegal stuff. Or lie like everyone else.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

maybe someone in the industry like @muir could share what they look for, I'm barely more than a cubicle monkey.

D

DustinBowls

I guess I'll put it in my skills, but I doubt any of the old growers I worked with want me giving out their numbers. Maybe one wouldn't mind. lol I wasn't even thinking of listing them as references.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I guess I'll put it in my skills, but I doubt any of the old growers I worked with want me giving out their numbers. Maybe one wouldn't mind. lol I wasn't even thinking of listing them as references.
Just describe the job you did, if your new potential employer wants to check your references, you should already have permission to use them.

If I am hiring someone I always ask for, and I always call, their references. If someone doesn't have references, they don't get to play. Someone needs to have their shit together and I would include past work experience. If your past work experience boss is in jail or otherwise unavailable, say they are unavailable. Most of the time it's just to make sure they aren't bullshit. But, I can also say that I know people use their friends or relatives as 'supervisors' when completing applications for employment.

You should call them, tell them you are looking for a job, and ask if you can use them. If they don't want to talk on the phone or otherwise expose themselves to publicity, ask if they will write a letter. You have to market yourself and sell yourself as an asset. Have your shit in order and you'll be fine. If you half ass your job search then you'll get what you put in.

Good luck.

Top Bottom