A Random bud died why....?

• Thread starter upinsmoke3696
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

upinsmoke3696

In about week 6 I have a random bud died is there a bigger problem here have a look at pic and let me know it gets plenty of sun

A random bud died why
E

elusiveshame

Another just died no damage to stem no caterpillar
Caterpillar would be inside of the bud, and if not, you’d see poop and other signs of one being there, but you have to look inside of the bud to verify (and if you already have, disregard, though posting a pic of inside of a dead bud could help others identify the problem)

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Have you inspected the entire plant to see if there is evidence of any sort of pests that may be killing your flowers? Thrips, leaf cutters, mites, etc.

Foliage looks healthy so I don't think it's something internal. What do the leaves look like? Are you seeing any signs of stress or discoloration?

What do the flowers smell like? Do they have a musty or moldy smell?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I had this problem last fall. Never found an answer. Beautiful buds just died for no apparent reason.

S

Stonemason7767

Didi it mabey get cooked from touching that black pole.the pole proubly gets pretty hot in full sun.

mancorn

mancorn

Botrytis can get into the stems which will develop a “dried” look a die very rapidly. The stem loses it’s green color and appears light yellow, looking like a old dried stick. It won’t necessarily get the traditional grey fuzz in the beginning and be fairly inconspicuous. When the entire stem dries out this is almost always the cause.

This picture shows a more advanced stage (with the fuzzy mold). But it will start with just a small drying look, like the top/bottom of the effected area pictured.

0F0A6818 7497 4681 A4C8 4CA1FB18550A

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Caterpillar would be inside of the bud, and if not, you’d see poop and other signs of one being there, but you have to look inside of the bud to verify (and if you already have, disregard, though posting a pic of inside of a dead bud could help others identify the problem)
Normally with worms the bud looks fine. The damage/rot/mold/shit is happening inside the bud, and almost impossible to see the damage.

This 👇 is a prime example. The bud looks fine…

7B6452BA 79CF 4E1E AA12 F305D32385A2

… but when you look *real* close you can see a yellowing sugar leaf. The bud is trashed and on close inspection turns out a worm has completely ruined it. The entire bud is actually rotten on the inside, even though it appears fine.

7394F2B6 806A 404E B9B9 F88B445A757E

Seriously doubt worms are the problem with upinsmoke.

Last edited:
U

upinsmoke3696

Have you inspected the entire plant to see if there is evidence of any sort of pests that may be killing your flowers? Thrips, leaf cutters, mites, etc.

Foliage looks healthy so I don't think it's something internal. What do the leaves look like? Are you seeing any signs of stress or discoloration?

What do the flowers smell like? Do they have a musty or moldy smell?
They smell amazing had a little spider mite but that's gone other than that there where 6-7 baby playing mantis bugs on it the other day and a ladybug from time to time leaves seem healthy

U

upinsmoke3696

Normally with worms the bud looks fine. The damage/rot/mold/shit is happening inside the bud, and almost impossible to see the damage.

This 👇 is a prime example. The bud looks fine…

View attachment 1344880

… but when you look *real* close you can see a yellowing sugar leaf. The bud is trashed and on close inspection turns out a worm has completely ruined it. The entire bud is actually rotten on the inside, even though it appears fine.

View attachment 1344882

Seriously doubt worms are the problem with upinsmoke.
I've had the rare worm but have removed them buds

U

upinsmoke3696

Just got home and it's struck again
Looks like 4 infected
I was bringing them under the patio with a few fans as I was trying to keep dry at night with the dew in my area

Starting to stress as I lost 1 cola a week but now there's 4

mancorn

mancorn

Just got home and it's struck again
Looks like 4 infected
I was bringing them under the patio with a few fans as I was trying to keep dry at night with the dew in my area

Starting to stress as I lost 1 cola a week but now there's 4
As stated earlier, when you have a branch that rapidly dies, it’s most likely Botrytis. The reason the bud dies is that water is transported through the thin green outer layer of the branch, the xylem. (Not through the inner part of the stem/branch) When this gets damaged water no longer gets to the vegetation (bud).

I’d guess it’s in the main stalk, below or near the dying branches. Inspect the stems and branches, if you see any loss of green color or grey mold, treat with Isopropyl alcohol at full strength (while protecting all vegetation as the ISO will kill the leaves and buds). You can use cotton balls, Qtips or spray bottle to apply daily. This will knock back the Botrytis, but it’s systemic within the plant and impossible to eradicate. So if this is one plant of many, you should series consider trashing the plant before it spreads.

Last edited:
strider26554

strider26554

Are you sure? the caterpillars that usually cause this bore into the stem of the plant and are damn near impossible to locate some times, I had a hell of a time with them last year and expect them again this years

strider26554

strider26554

Usually if i look very closely at the stems below the damaged bud i would find a small brown scar from the initial attack , (where the worm entered ), the caterpillers then reside inside the stem crawling around and eating the centers of the stem as they go. eventually they exit usually near a bud and then will coccon themselves inside a tiny sugar leaf, i had alot of posts about these lil buggers last year.

strider26554

strider26554

if it is indeed bud rot or Botrytis, i would consider at least isolating the plant, from any others that you have growing, and remember how small a spore os, thats all it takes to infect another area,

mancorn

mancorn

There is the possibility of broad or russet mites. But with insects (mites & worms) there’s a fair amount of other signs that would give you clues. Do you have a loupe and have you inspected the undersides of the leaves? The broad mites are very small. Outdoors you’re almost guaranteed to get mites. It’s real important to be proactive and inspect your plants regularly so you can knock them back when you get an infection. (It doesn’t matter how “clean” your immediate growing area is, insects are all over the place and you’ll have problems with several.) I don’t think this is what’s taking down your branches so quickly, but not knowing where you live, guessing Southern hemisphere if you’re budding, don’t know anything about the critters that might be around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom