A sad story

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Just got back from another quick trip to the mountains for some quick fishing and maintenance on my rentals. Fricken wind!!

Anyway, long story short. I was talking with one of my tenants and he told me he would probably have to move in the fall because his pension was about to run out and nobody would hire him because of his past.

This guy is a 65 year old veteran that technology has basically put out to pasture. He wants to work and is still capable of most jobs but he has a felony conviction that happened 34 years ago and a marijuana red card.

So far any job he has applied for has shunned him because of a background check or a drug test. How is this poor guy supposed to live if nobody will give him a chance. He pays his rent on time every month, is a pleasant sort and has made friends with all the neighbors.

His felony conviction was a drug deal gone bad, a weapon was used and shots were fired. He did several years in the crowbar hotel and has been a useful member of society since he paid for his crimes.

Apparently not!! He is still paying for his mistakes 34 years later. How is a person supposed to become a useful member of society if nobody will give him a chance? He has been considered for several jobs but the background check or the piss test gets him every time. I thought mountain people were more forgiving but sadly not so.

To sad, this individual wants to work and be a useful member of society. Unfortunately if he can't find a way to feed himself and pay the rent I'm sure he will become one of many living off entitlements. And the tax payer will carry the burden.

America, the land of opportunity, NOT!!!

putembk

putembk

Kind of disappointed that nobody responded with a little advise on how this guy might find work. I know there are individuals on here with the same situation. How did you find work. How do you get around piss test and background checks. Never been an issue for me so I'm at a loss for advice. This is a good guy and I would like to help him but all he is finding is a brick wall.

Mogrow

Mogrow

and liberty & justice for all... not...
maybe he should start collecting this social security and do some odd jobs/handyman stuff.
i know i need help with my rentals/maybe you can give him some work???
a dude 65 ain't gonna get a 9 to 5 job, specially a guy that's done time..
tell him to get a business card, you can do it cheap on internet, give it to every realtor and landlord in this town, if he mowes lawns, does clean ups or all around handyman, put it on the card, he will get work, they are always looking to get something done on a house..
hope this helps, i feel for the guy, but you gotta get out there and shake a few trees..
peace mogrow

og619

og619

Most employers are probally looking at the fact that he is 65, using backround check/drug test as an easy excuse. You can have your backround/felony expunged if taken the right steps. Go to your doctor or marijuana doctor and ask for a prescription for marinol, it is federally legal and i do not think they can discriminate against you testing positve for it. Now that we got those out the way time to find a job. Even with a clean backround and clean drug test there are only a small fraction of places that are going to hire a 65 year old, now you say you are in the mountains, which probally dont have as many hiring stores as in the city, lets face it some of these people in the mtns grow up and die working at the same place. Also how long has he been out of work, if he does happen to get a job, will he be able to keep up and stick with it. Ever thought of letting him grow his allocated amount on the property and recouping his costs at the end. Also as mogrow stated, handyman jobs. Anyway good luck and hope everything works out.

vaporedout

vaporedout

synthetic urine has a 100% success rate for me, maybe that will help with some jobs, as for background....ehhh cant fake that

420alldaze

420alldaze

mogrow hit it on the head, it seems our society doesnt realize when any convicted person has ever paid thier debt ! maybe maintence around your rentals could secure his place of residence. obviously you care about the dude to be tryin to help him in the first place.
best of luck to your friend and you. 42o

putembk

putembk

mogrow hit it on the head, it seems our society doesnt realize when any convicted person has ever paid thier debt ! maybe maintence around your rentals could secure his place of residence. obviously you care about the dude to be tryin to help him in the first place.
best of luck to your friend and you. 42o
That was my first thought. He is painting my shutters and putting a coat of stain on my deck as we speak. However I can't afford to totally support him. Oh, he is already taking social securtity, can't imagine it would be much though. I will speak to him about his open attitude toward his red card for his own good. I suspect his openness got him fired and not so much the drug test. I am only going by what he told me. There may be another side to the story.

B

bckwht

I dont know if this will be helpful with where he lives, but maybe he could look for help on some farms. I realize that relates to handy work but here on the east coast, some of the bigger family owned farms who do CSAs and farmers markets usually have some jobs available throughout the grow season. I wish the best for his situation and your a good person for caring enough to help.

K

kolah

Run ads on Craigs List, work a cash only business and word-of-mouth is good too. That's what I do.
Here in CO the construction biz is bad as illegals work for peanuts. I used to make 25-30 bucks per hour and now I am down to 15 bucks. Most of my work is repeat customers and word of mouth generates new folks. The way things are going, everyone will be a "criminal." Only the boot-licking lackeys will be able to get jobs. Be creative, develop skills and knock on doors....and stay under the radar.

vaporedout

vaporedout

yup, ya gotta work for less now, im exactly where your at.... right back to 15 an hour

Reactions: mal
sky high

sky high

So is "staying under the radar" the code words for getting paid in cash and not paying taxes, kolah?

Not that I care...and not that it is a slam of any sort.....but it's kinda ironic that the folks who seem to bitch the most about the ineffectiveness of Government and believe the conspiracy theories don't pay into the very system they are railing against.

most of the mexicans that were here...left when the economy/construction work went south. Now all we have are a buncha empty schools we built for 'em and the remaining tax liability to pay for them...

bummer for yer friend, putmebk....but he isn't alone in the search for work.

And yeah...you might wanna let him know that NO JOB is protected in Colorado.
First off, we are an "at will" state.....and secondly...there is verbiage surrounding our cards in A20 that says that there is NO protection in the jobplace simply because you have a red card.

I hope it works out for him

s h

K

kolah

Skyhigh quote: So is "staying under the radar" the code words for getting paid in cash and not paying taxes, kolah? "Not that I care...and not that it is a slam of any sort.....but it's kinda ironic that the folks who seem to bitch the most about the ineffectiveness of Government and believe the conspiracy theories don't pay into the very system they are railing against." Most of the mexicans that were here...left when the economy/construction work went south. Now all we have are a buncha empty schools we built for 'em and the remaining tax liability to pay for them...

No SH, "under the radar" does mean tax evasion, not to me at least, maybe to you though. You further say "Not that you care?" Well it sure as hell SEEMS like you do care by the tone of your post. And it sure sounds like a slam to me SH, if you are labeling me as " one of those folks" who seem to bitch and believe conspiracy theories. Is there something wrong with people stating opinions about the corrupt politico system or would you rather have me wave my little US flag around and kiss the slimey politicians feet like a good little sheep? Let it be known that I pay taxes every day and more. I ran a large business for many years and paid out the ass. THE main reason I sold my building and my practice was because of taxes and the large amounts of money I had to pay out. Try running a REAL business someday Skyhigh and then we'll talk. I bet I gave the crooks more of my hard earned bucks than you will ever do in your lifetime and most of it goes to fund the wars and other shit I don't support. Every year I paid $4,500 for my property taxes on my building office (alone), And BTW I think you know that it's the big corporate businesses that pay zero taxes. Those are the tax evaders. I wonder if they bitch about government. No wait, they have no reason to bitch about the gov because the gov supports them. For me, paying out $4,500 bucks a year would have been nice to put into my retirement fund but instead I had to pay it, now didn't I? Otherwise they take my shit and tack on fines. I would bet the people who bitch about taxes are more than just conspiracy nuts and "government ineffectiveness" complainers. I tend to think many of the people who support Big Gov are the lazy leeches who collect welfare and the other free handouts that are funded by MY tax dollars. "Not That I Care", but you wouldn't happen to be "One of Those," now would you? Anyway, for some odd reason you just seem to have gotten a wild hair up your ass and felt like jabbing on me or playing your sarcastic little games. I do appreciate your honesty, SH, as I like to know what kind of people I am dealing with, especially in online forums.

One more thing and then I am done with you. The illegals left Colorado you say? You are kidding me, right? If you've been paying attention it's just the opposite as even more illegals have come here because of AZ laws and all the illegals that shacked up in AZ have treked up here. You might try getting outside a bit more often and find out what's really going on. I'd say more but this already been a waste of my time.

I just thought I would voice my opinion and offer suggestions for your friend. Next time I'll avoid you. Take good care, man. And BTW, I won't respond back should you choose to take this any further. I'm done here.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Sky,Those illegal aliens have NOT left,Why would they?In mexico they work 10 hours a day 5 days a week to make 100-200 dollars but a gallon of milk still costs 4 bucks and shoes for their kids are still 40 bucks.Here they earn 100-200 a day and pay zero taxes(even the guys that stand in front of home depot want 12-15 bucks an hour CASH) plus their wives and kids are on welfare and collecting money AND food stamps AND they live 5 families to the house,so what does our government do?Tax us more to pay for it all!How is an honest american that abides by the rules supposed to compete with that?High school kids cannot even get a job at jack in the box anymore.Our government has let us down and they (and you) are so out of touch with reality it rediculous.I have often said i beleive the unemployment problem in america could be solved in one fell swoop by making it illegal to employ them at all and that goes for private individuals too,take away the jobs and start deporting them and they will leave,All we need to do is enforce the SAME EXACT laws that mexico places on americans down there or for that matter the ones we already have on the books here.
I feel sorry for those that are out of work and i say do whatever you have to to survive,god knows your government isnt going to help you.
BTW i am 100% for LEGAL immigration that places us all on equal ground but why would anybody do that when you can game the system and make 2-3 times as much?They are just following the money and where do you think its coming from?

sky high

sky high

We've seen a mass exodus here in resortland. Dunno what yer seeing in Denver/the FR where it's much cheaper to live and there are far more opportunities for work....legal or illegal.

I share a lot of yer views on immigration, fish. It's a topsy-turvy game the Gov't is playing on everyone by encouraging/enticing cheap labor from other countries and ignoring the laws on the books. Unfortunately, we're too busy struttin our bad ass stuff in the Mid East to give a shit about what we're >supposedly< trying to protect at home...

I've ran a real biz before, kolah....and I've played the other side as well. So have you...so have a lot of folks. The difference is I don't run around actin all noided out and spewing about how fucked things are all of the time like you seem to do here. Then you lambast me for pointing it out?
Why am I not surprised? I definitely hit a nerve though...... wow.

sorry putmebk......... again...i hope yer buddy can figure something out...

s h

putembk

putembk

Thanks to all who have helped including Angus on a pm. Guys, all I wanted to do is help a renter find a job therefore I hate to see good members of this forum lash out at each other...peace guys you both make good points. Busy this morning but will put my 2 cents in on the taxes later today, talk about hitting a nerve. Only about half of people living here pay taxes, is that fucking fair???? Twenty eight % of my reported income last year went to taxes and thats before I pay taxes on anything I purchase. I'M PISSED AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!

V

vierundzwanzig

i wanted to comment yesterday but this thread is SAD.
you are talking about an adult facing hard times.

7-year-old boy's suicide shocks Detroit community

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is whats sad and it happens because a lot of us are here doing absolutely no good for no body.

Top Bottom