A Solution Of Hydrated Lime To Create Ph Up?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I was out of pH Up so I looked over at my bag of Hydrated Lime and thought, worth a try. So I got a jar of water and added a fair amount of the powder and shook it up really well. I mixed up my nute solution, and slowly added enough to get the pH up to 6.7 or so. I fed my girls and watched for problems. That was a month ago, and I noticed no problems. The pH of my raw solution was over 11, so I know that while it didn't "dissolve," it was certainly detectable. I only did that once. So what do you think -- good idea, or stupid as hell? It's okay to be brutal, I can take it. Thanks!

Monster762

Monster762

I was out of pH Up so I looked over at my bag of Hydrated Lime and thought, worth a try. So I got a jar of water and added a fair amount of the powder and shook it up really well. I mixed up my nute solution, and slowly added enough to get the pH up to 6.7 or so. I fed my girls and watched for problems. That was a month ago, and I noticed no problems. The pH of my raw solution was over 11, so I know that while it didn't "dissolve," it was certainly detectable. I only did that once. So what do you think -- good idea, or stupid as hell? It's okay to be brutal, I can take it. Thanks!
Honestly I think it's ok. Idk about making it 11 but lime is a ph up basically. Alkaline. Mix in hot hot water it might break down better. I've done similar things and had no problems either. It probably does break down more over time so I wouldn't do it regularly.

Organikz

Organikz

Your right I might be thinking gypsum as alkaline. Lime is acidic I think
Dolomite lime contains magnesium which free hydrogen will attach itself to. PH stands for potential of hydrogen. The more free hydrogen the more acidic.

The lime works. Just another option. Gypsum will not affect pH. Its calcium and sulfur. No magnesium.

cannabeans

cannabeans

You are incorrect sir...
Lime is an alkaline product, and it chemically de-activates acidity in the soil through the activity of the carbonate ion (CO32-). Applying lime to a soil will raise the pH. The other product we think of with respect to calcium is gypsum, a hydrated form of calcium sulfate (CaSO4 ). Gypsum is neutral in pH, and since it has no carbonate ion as part of its makeup, it will not neutralize acidity. However, it is much more soluble than most lime products (about 200 times as soluble), so it does make a very good source for soluble calcium and sulfate.
http://onpasture.com/2014/06/02/when-to-use-lime-gypsum-and-elemental-sulfur/

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Lime vs. Gypsum

lime is an acid-soluble material that is applied to cropland to raise the pH of acidic soils. It comes in many forms including calcium carbonate (CaCO3), magnesium carbonate (MgCO3) and others. It can be applied in a single pass with a lime spreader. Acidic soils trigger a chemical reaction allowing carbonate molecules to strip H+ molecules from the soil, releasing water and CO2. The vacated H+ is replaced with calcium and/or magnesium on the cation exchange sites, depending on the type of lime used. It is important to consider the Ca and Mg levels on the soil exchange sites before choosing a lime source. Magnesium carbonate, called dolomitic lime, is often the cheapest form of lime. It can exacerbate problems in high Mg soils and lead to poor drainage, compaction, waterlogging, etc.1 Conversely, in high Ca soils where Mg is deficient, dolomitic lime is preferred over hi-calcium lime.

Gypsum is calcium sulfate dihydrate (CaSO4 2H20). Flue gas desulfurization (FGD) gypsum, such as GYPSOIL® brand gypsum, is a co-product material derived from the scrubbing of flue gas emissions in coal-burning power plants. Gypsum can be spread with lime and litter spreaders. Gypsum is not acid soluble and will not change the soil pH. It helps to shift the Ca and Mg levels in soil and offers a readily available form of sulfate sulfur, a valuable secondary nutrient that benefits the soil and crop. The sulfate in gypsum binds with excess Mg in the soil to form soluble Epsom salt, which moves lower into the soil profile. This Mg is replaced by Ca, improving water holding capacity, root development and soil quality

http://www.gypsoil.com/news-and-events/gypsum-and-lime

Organikz

Organikz

Crap forgot calcium carbonate works also. @cannabeans is correct. Some organic growers use oyster shell flour. I use crab meal. @h4ppyf4rmer pointed something else out. Too much mag is bad. I think thats why a lot of growers shifted out of dolomite and went with a calcium carbonate like oyster shell or crab meal.

Too much magnesium will actually lock itself out. It will negatively affect the cation exchange capacity [CEC] of soil if it is overabundant. It also causes soil compaction.

I'm getting rusty now that I've settled with natural farming lol

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

You are incorrect sir...
Lime is an alkaline product, and it chemically de-activates acidity in the soil through the activity of the carbonate ion (CO32-). Applying lime to a soil will raise the pH. The other product we think of with respect to calcium is gypsum, a hydrated form of calcium sulfate (CaSO4 ). Gypsum is neutral in pH, and since it has no carbonate ion as part of its makeup, it will not neutralize acidity. However, it is much more soluble than most lime products (about 200 times as soluble), so it does make a very good source for soluble calcium and sulfate.
http://onpasture.com/2014/06/02/when-to-use-lime-gypsum-and-elemental-sulfur/
Ok then I was right the first time

tj Wise

tj Wise

Great info, thanks everyone. So I tried using hydrated lime in solution to pH Up my batch of liquid nutes. My pH pen told me it worked. In the garden I saw no problems, the feed brightened the girls up, just like always. Later I bought pH up in the blue bottle from General Hydroponics, as usual. Now, the hydrated lime is a lot cheaper, especially since I have a large bag already. I'm thinking that using the lime in solution about every 3 weeks or so might be a good idea. Beneficial?

Top Bottom