Aact Recipes And Knowledge

• Thread starter mohawk.slim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Purpletrain

Purpletrain

To clarify the question it should be stated more clearly as; Does compost tea add more nutrients than compost alone? There is no doubt that compost tea adds nutrients. But does the process of making tea increase the level of nutrients compared to just using compost without brewing? If they both add the same amount of nutrients–why bother making tea?

If you think about it for 2 seconds you will realize that this is a silly notion. Think about what you are doing in making tea. You take a handful of compost and you put it in a bucket of water. Microbes take over and start digesting the compost.

Your original handful of compost had a certain amount of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. No matter what process you use, you will never increase the amount of these nutrients in a plastic bucket (except for some minor organics falling in an uncovered bucket). The microbes might breed and grow and digest things, but the total amount of nutrients remains the same. In fact it might actually be less since some of the nitrogen might be converted to ammonia which evaporates into the air.

What about the quoted statement above “compost tea makes the benefits of compost go farther “. The nutrient content (NPK fertilizer numbers) of say 500 ml of compost is 2.6 – 0.9 – 2 (average value for composted cattle manure; source Alberta Agriculture Department). If I now add this to a 5 gal pale (about 20 L), I still have the same ratio of nutrients, namely 2.6 – 0.9 – 24, but it is now diluted 40 times (500 ml to 20 L). The nutrient value of the tea is now 0.07 – 0.02 – 0.05. That is an extremely dilute fertilizer. For comparison human urine has a nutrient value of 11 – 1 – 2.5, that’s 160 times as much nitrogen as compost tea. Sure you can probably spread the tea over a larger area than a handful of compost, but if you do that the amount of nutrients added to the soil is negligible – so why bother??

The fact is that making tea from compost does not increase the amount of nutrients. It does not make the compost ‘go further’. If you want to add nutrients to the garden just add the compost directly.

Will compost tea decrease disease ???
evaluated extensively by Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D .
There are limited studies about disease reduction by compost tea, and the results are inconclusive.

The concept here is that the tea has a high concentration of microbes. When these are sprayed onto leaves they populate the surface of the leaves to such an extent that invading pathogenic microbes can’t take a hold. The good tea microbes out compete the potentially bad ones.

For this to work, the sprayed on microbes would need to colonize the leaves (ie live and breed on the leaves). This requires that the new environment, ie the leaf surface, has enough food for them and the oxygen levels are right for them.

Clearly, the oxygen levels would be high and so you can expect that anaerobic microbes would die out quickly. Anaerobic tea just won’t work.

The native microbes on plant surfaces are not well understood
TBH there is little scientific evidence to support the idea that compost tea solves disease problems.

But its the new trend gardener thinking that adding more microbes are going to be better or the assumption that the soil needs microbes ??? think again
Think about what you are doing when you make the tea. You are creating an incubator for microbes. You are providing the moisture, the food and the right oxygen levels to grow microbes. But which microbes are you growing? You have no idea know.

The reality is that along with the ‘good’ microbes you might also be growing ’harmful’ ones. You could be growing microbes that will make you or your plants sick. Tea that is aerated can contain Salmonella and E. coli both of which can prove to be deadly to humans. Remember the contaminated lettuce? That was E. coli contamination. You could also be growing microbes that are harmful to plants.

The process for making compost tea is not selective – you grow whatever is in the pot.

I am confident that the risk is low. But why take the risk when the benefits of compost tea are at best, minimal?

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

If you want to make some compost tea, go ahead. You will probably not harm anything and you just might have some fun doing it. But understand that there is currently no evidence that compost tea is any better than using just compost. Be a smart gardener and just spread the compost on the soil as a mulch. Nature will do the rest.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Thanks for the laugh @Purpletrain. While the science may be young, it is there. Ignoring it and making shit up is funny though!
yup its young very young i see you took a liking on Dr Ingham lol hate to inform you that Dr. Ingham has not published any research on compost tea to support her theories. What she does do is report on personal observations that have not been backed by scientifically published research. Until the work is published in peer reviewed journals it proves nothing.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

As Lawton points out, "the problem with any organism and particularly with bacteria is that there is no surefire way to recall them once they have been released. Even plants pose a problem, despite the possibility of mechanical control. Imagine how hard it would be to selectively kill something that cannot even be seen with the naked eye" and Ingham observes, "We have never been good at recapturing any organisms we have released into the world."

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: VICTIMS OF A CRUEL ACADEMIC DECEIT ???

Late last week I received copies of an article you published in the Agribusiness Examiner, "Ecological Disaster averted???? U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; treating the world's soil like dirt." This article was published in Issue #116 dated 16 May, 2001.

Unfortunately George Lawton, whom you quote extensively, has been the victim of a cruel deceit. He has had the misfortune to pen a story in the April issue of Acres USA which relies heavily on information supplied by the now discredited former Associate Professor from Oregon State University, Dr Elaine Ingham.

This is the same Elaine Ingham who had to withdraw the exact same assertions she makes in Lawton's article when she proffered them to the New Zealand Royal Commission on Genetic Modification. Not only had she to agree her original assertions about the effects of Klebsiella.p in the environment were not supported by the evidence she cited in support (including falsified references to non existent publications) but she had to concede the allegations she made against the EPA could not be independently substantiated either. The EPA has specifically rejected all her assertions.

The New Zealand Green Party made the mistake of relying on Ingham's evidence to try to establish their argument that there should be no field trials involving GMOs.

Because Ingham's assertions were scientifically rebutted before the Royal Commission by three senior New Zealand and Australian scientists the Green Party was left with the humiliating responsibility of apologizing in writing for misleading the Royal Commission.

http://www.gmwatch.org/latest-listi...r-elaine-ingham-controversy-over-klebsiella-p

PS : i think you should look for a better DR in the microbiology end
Dr Ingham has subsequently been subjected to professional review by Oregon State University.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm a subscriber to Acres, which April issue are you referring to? (Shit, most of them are packed!) I've been going more from Microbeman's information than Dr Ingham's, mostly because I won't spend the money on the book.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

I'm not here to create havoc i personally think were stressing to much on mirobiology life specially with out short lived marijuana plants rather then keeping things just simple we always make things way more difficult then it should be this is my scientific findings in my world lol
would a person not think if you maintain a proper organic garden growing with lots of greens and browns and the Carbon cycle working good is there really any need for a tea to begin with ???
With science
There is a reasonable amount of jargon across all scientific disciplines and it is absolutely not surprising that the general public does not keep up to date on all of them, nor should they be expected to. That being said, there are a number of scientific terms that are fairly regularly and consistently misused by the general public and the media that are fundamental to science across all disciplines.First, lets take a look at what science actually is. According to Wikipedia: “science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe”. That is pretty straightforward. Science is a framework, or a methodology, for looking at the world around us and putting forth our best efforts to understand this crazy universe we find ourselves in
there fore its not FACT its really a hypothisis a guess evolution we come from the ape ??? or cold we have alien DNA in us other words did a alien specie land on this earth and give us a jump in evolution there is a huge unexpleained GAP in our evolution or the 145 alien genes in us

Top Bottom