Abandoned Baby Tests Positive for Marijuana

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM CDT KIIITV News

The newborn baby boy, abandoned over the weekend has tested positive for marijuana. But police have stopped actively looking for the mom, and for now the concentration is on making sure the infant is healthy. The child is hospitalized. His parents still haven't been found or identified, but we've learned the child now has a name. The department has dubbed the child "Ian Michael."

"There is no last name because we are searching for the parents," said John Lennan, a spokesperson with Child Protective Services.

While police and the district attorney's office might have stopped their search for the boy's mother, there is the civil side of the investigation. CPS says it will continue looking for the mother to see if its possible she might want to be later reunified with the child or that there might be relatives who the newborn can be placed with.

Sunday 2:30 in morning the child was left abandoned outside a pediatric clinic next to Driscoll Children's Hospital. It's not designated a so called "Safe Haven" location like a fire department with an on duty paramedic or a hospital, but police report the mother later called the department's non emergency number to let them know the newborn could be found.

A letter was also found with the child.

"Please help me! My mother can not care for me and is very sorry to leave me here. I have nothing for him. Please help," the letter read.

According to a CPS affidavit, the child had dried amniotic fluid and blood in his hair, and a moist non clamped umbilical cord. The child appears to be healthy, but tested positive for marijuana.

We learned Tuesday from the criminal aspect of this the mother has nothing to worry about. District Attorney Carlos Valdez told us the mother might not have followed the letter of the Baby Moses Law, but she did follow it in the spirit of the law. Which is to get a baby to a safe place so that it's not abandoned in a dumpster or even killed because its unwanted.

"I want to assure her if she is listening and watching that nothing will happen to her as far as criminal charges are concerned," said Valdez. "We want to encourage other women in similar situations to deliver a newborn to a safe place."

F

Frozen Farmer

Wow... Thats horrible. But at the same time. Atleast she didn't leave em in a garbage can or dumpster or some shit..

Top Bottom