about soil microbes and tap water

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
clockworx

clockworx

Another good read ....enjoy!!!

Many water providers add chlorine to drinking water to keep it clean for human consumption. Chlorine prevents bacterial growth in water distribution systems. Many residents use chlorinated water to irrigate their lawn and garden.

If chlorine is added to drinking water to kill bacteria, what impact does it have on beneficial soil microorganisms? Does it kill beneficial organisms in compost piles, too?

Researchers have found that chlorinated drinking water may kill the number of microorganisms in soil or a compost pile. However, their reproduction rate is so rapid populations rebound in a short time. Under normal conditions, chlorinated water will not threaten microorganism populations.

One reason chlorinate water has little impact is that chlorine binds to soil particle surfaces. This immobilizes chlorine and reduces its ability to kill microorganisms. The organisms in the topmost surface of soil or a compost pile may be affected after irrigation but as the water moves downward little chlorine remains. In one study, researchers found that water chlorinated at 5 parts per million killed organisms only in the top half inch of soil. Organisms deeper than one half inch were thriving.

The amount of chlorine in drinking water is quite low. In order to kill soil microorganisms to 6 inch soil depth, water containing 65 parts per million of chlorine was required in one study. Drinking water usually contains much lower chlorine levels. For example, Colorado Springs Utilities water contains between 0.05 to 0.90 parts per million of chlorine, 70 times below the threshold level.

Microorganisms reproduce rapidly. In one study, researchers continuously applied highly chlorinated water to soil for 126 days. Two days after they stopped, the soil microorganism populations reached pre-treatment levels at all depths of soil.

This article was found on "plantalk"

Natural

Natural

I've read this...how controlled are their studies for container grows though..it seems a bit blurry when they discuss outdoor soil and compost piles. Honestly though I never really worried about tap chlorine as I always let it evaporate anyway. Chloramine won't evaporate..and not even regarding micro-organisms it can make plants lock out and be sick pretty fast. As well as other 'natural'(?) pollutants in tap leaves less room for food activity imho. I iuse RO for indoors and really don't bother with tap..with the exception of rooting cuts.

clockworx

clockworx

I've read this...how controlled are their studies for container grows though..it seems a bit blurry when they discuss outdoor soil and compost piles. Honestly though I never really worried about tap chlorine as I always let it evaporate anyway. Chloramine won't evaporate..and not even regarding micro-organisms it can make plants lock out and be sick pretty fast. As well as other 'natural'(?) pollutants in tap leaves less room for food activity imho. I iuse RO for indoors and really don't bother with tap..with the exception of rooting cuts.

Yea I hear ya....its a good read but the fact is we never really know how controlled any test are, ya know....as for containers, I personally wouldn't use anything but ro only because the growing medium has such a short lifespan and the goal is to not lose ANY of the microbes, I am starting to think that the whole myco craze for indoor growing is silly tho, ive been using less and less of that stuff...it takes way longer then people think to become active and its super delicate. Im going to discontinue using such products indoors......

Natural

Natural

as far as production and better quality..I've used my own AACT and store bought VermiT and never seen improvement. Though I have seen less disease and bugs though. I also think it can help kickstart a stalled plant..much better than flushing..but yes I agree teas don't = miracles per se.

clockworx

clockworx

I love my teas...I've been making teas for 20 years and NEVER have any bug, mold, fungi problems when growing. I also get jaw dropping yields that I credit to the teas, I've done grows with just teas and let me tell ya, if made properly they like juice for plants, greener, fuller, tastier buds without a doubt....

clockworx

clockworx

There is no bloom booster like a soil grown plant receiving a well made tea at the right time....teas are very complex and it took me years to understand what I was trying to achieve when making them....people on youtube have videos making teas and its crazy the amount of misinformation that people spread. Dumping all types of bs in a bucket with an airstone hardly classifies as a tea..." look at the foam its working" lol....different items are used with each phase of growing, some to produce more nitrogen fixing microbes to be used from veg and transition stages, and others to fight root problems or act as blooming stimulants...its a topic that I'm still learning after years. The soil web is the most complex process on earth an scientist are still making discoveries every day...

Natural

Natural

I just got done with a run and skipped all my teas, even my inoculation this time around. I still flushed with a little molasses before ripening. Pretty much just experimenting. I use fresh air no CO2 and still pulled no less than 30 zips per light..just as I had done with teas. I see no difference in quality either. I'm still going to be using teas at different stages for inoculation and foliar, but no longer passed stretch.

clockworx

clockworx

I stop using teas after my transition feeding......then I use enzymes to breakdown organic matter....no point to keep populating the medium when it won't have time to really matter and by that time your microbes should already have a strong hold....at the middle to end stages I use grand finale and enzymes and get massive buds every time.....checkout my grow journal...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good stuff, clockworx, thanks for posting. IF I had chlorinated or chloraminated water, I would simply accept the losses as part of the equation. Just as sunlight will kill them, I cannot brew in the dark. See, I have this problem--I need LIGHT to see.

Aziz! LIGHT!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Microbes easy to grow in a bucket and soil, fungi not so easy and takes time and very hard to grow in a bucket.

Most cities have switched to Chloramines or are planning on it.

The growing situation with chloramines is more complex and demanding. We cannot efficiently off-gas chloramines, so the simplest solution with chlorine does not apply at all. We equally cannot use just thiosulfate – it does not do enough.

Seamaiden I sure liked the movie, weird how I new right away, I have only seen the movie 8 or 9 times, lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
:D I love that movie. I've lost track of how many times I've seen it. Sometimes, my husband and I will look at each other and just say, "Multi-pass!" Sometimes, I'll look at him and say, "Chicken GOOD!"

However, my own experience with ST says it works fine for 'breaking' chloramine and then removing the resultant chlorine. The remaining ammonia is a problem for fishkeepers, so depending on the scenario something like zeolite may be used, or they rely on their biological filter to handle the extra NH3/NH4.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I understand that chlorine doesn't effect the microbes in the soil too much, but what about during the brewing process?

Natural

Natural

I understand that chlorine doesn't effect the microbes in the soil too much, but what about during the brewing process?

Yes it will affect your brew. Talk to Cap..I think he just uses some sort of cheap de-chlorinator for the job. It might work to aerate the tap for a couple of days prior. Personally, I use a Tall-Boy RO filter system for the job. Chloramine as stated, is a different type of chlorine and will not evaporate with aeration. As far as how widely it is used..I know for a fact the Bay Area uses it..but my area does not..just check with your water supplier.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I use r/o but was kinda just wondering if the effect would be minimal like with the soil

Natural

Natural

think about it a min..according to the article: chlorine does kill microbes..but the fact that chlorine attaches to soil particles, turns the soil into a filter of sorts. The top layers of soil microbes die when folks water their lawn or garden from the hose. Their research shows that due to the fast reproduction of microbes they replace themselves quickly. I imagine the chlorine that is sprayed from the hose quickly dissipates through evaporation as well.

Top Bottom