About start my first grow

• Thread starter Casey03
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Casey03

Hey All,

First of all i would like to say what a great forum this is, I found lots of information and useful tips. But i would like to clear some stuff up before i set off on my first grow, there are a few questions so i do apologize if some are really silly.

First of all i would like to talk about all the equipment, I currently have the following ready to go,

- Secret Jardin DS120 II Grow Tent
- 600w Compact Ballast
- 600w Dual Spectrum Lamp
- Euro Reflector
- Pair of Easy Rollers Light Hanger
- RVK150A1 Extractor
- Matching Carbon Filter
- 5m Aluminium Ducting
- 3x Duct Clips
- Fan to move air around

Ok with what i have listed i am fully aware of how to set it up, but i have one silly noobish question, the extractor and the filter are used to suck the smell and air out of the tent? Not to supply it with fresh air?

An if it is the case that the extractor does suck out the smell and hot air do i need to get another fan that pulls air into the tent? Sorry but I’m still not 100% sure on this part.

The 2nd part I’m not so sure on is the feed, I have seen on this forum that some guys have like an auto feed and water injection system.... Is this required or can i do it by hand as this was my first idea.

I am planning on using coco soil and i have access to a number of cuttings to use, i did plan to use seeds but my mate said the cuttings would be fine, could someone clear that up for me please.

Other than that i think i have everything else written down and slowly getting ready to attempt my first grow. (Not expecting great results but who knows)

Any information would be great and i look forward to taking part a lot more in this forum.

S

SofaKingHigh

Good first setup you've got lined up.

Fan and filter in tent blowing air out. You'll see in about 3 seconds what negative pressure is as the tent sucks in on itself. Fresh air will flow in at the rate being exhausted without the need of another fan.

You'll want to hand water for the first few grows I think to learn how water cycles work to make happy plants. Initially you will probably go close to a week between waterings. So make sure what you feed is mixed, settled and what they need as far as PPM and pH.

Most importantly, it's a weed. Don't stress too much and try to be happy around your plants. Have fun!

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Sofaking gots it right. Just go with the hand water. Just watch for over watering. Let them dry out some, just like soil. Same on the fan advice. Sucking out. I say as long as your mate's cuts are healthy, bug free, and a good strain, go with them. Much simpler to start with instead of seeds. Now go get em, tiger.

-TF

Cort

Cort

I started with a similar set up not long ago. I quickly found out the cheapo ducting isnt worth it. I ended up with broken vents and light leaks.

Get the insulated ducting.

Tip: Have a buddy zip you up inside that tent with the lights off, give it 5-10 minutes and you will be able to see even the most minute light leak.

You might also want to think about attaching some kind of filters to your passive intake to keep any contaminates out.

Happy Harvests.

EDIT: On watering

When you first fill up your pots with coco, grab hold of them so you have an idea what they weigh. Figure this as your "dry, need to water" weight

When you do your first watering and the pot is full, grab it again so you know what it feels like wet.

When its 15-20% above the dry weight, its about time to water.

P

papadop

Good luck with your first grow. Give it hell! How would you rate the tent?

C

Casey03

Cheers for the good luck

an great tips on the watering guys, I like the idea of weight one.

I couldnt really comment on the tent yet as i have not used it to grow anything, It does seem nice and thick and on the basic light test we did we only got a leak from one of the pull strings onto the ducting, but again this something we could mess around with to get it right.

Once we get it all setup and running with the pots and cuttings ill report back with some pictures, Really looking forward to doing it and the coco soil seems really good for this sort of job.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like a nice starter set-up, you'll be fine. As everyone has said, remember, "Suck, don't blow!" Negative pressure inside the tent makes it easier for those plants to get big, as an added bonus... and yes you are fine with the handwatering, do you have some nutes lined up? Coco needs special nutes, (or nute mix) so you should figure that out before you put the plants in. Also, if using the cuttings you may be bringing some bugs in, on those cuttings, so either treat em, or maybe consider using seeds to keep your garden free from pests.

Top Bottom