Absolute Beginner Questions for 1st Grow

• Thread starter Hawk518
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hawk518

Hawk518

Q1: I have white tips on 2 leaves. Plant is 5 weeks old. Last week I gave it a half dose of GeoFlora. I’ve done searches on white tips and answers are all over the place. Some say it’s bad and others say nothing to worry about. So, I’ll ask here: what are the white tips a result of? Nutrient burn? If so, do I hold off on giving them anymore GeoFlora next week? What do I need to do (if anything)?

Q2: Looks like it should be warm enough at night to leave them outside – read / heard that as long as above 55F, they should be ok. Accurate?

Q3: Still trying to figure out the possibility of setting up a grow tent. One MAJOR concern is the potential smell. How well do the carbon filters get rid of the smell? Worried that my books will absorb the odor. Has anyone had this kind of issue? If so, how did you solve the problem?

Absolute beginner questions for 1st grow
dreamnfox

dreamnfox

That does not look like very good soil. Roots need to be able to breath. Are you able to transplant into better soil? Or mix in a bunch of perlite? I would not be leaving a seeding out side in those temps. Those temp are full healthy adult plants

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

No food, nutrients needed for a plant that size, a carbon filter does wonders for the smell but doesnt help when you are opening up the tent. I really dont think the smell would "stick" to the books. I had my tent in a guest bedroom with carpets and once the tent was gone no smell remained

Hawk518

Hawk518

That does not look like very good soil. Roots need to be able to breath. Are you able to transplant into better soil? Or mix in a bunch of perlite? I would not be leaving a seeding out side in those temps. Those temp are full healthy adult plants. No food, nutrients needed for a plant that size.
Thanks for your replies! Need all the help I can get - this is my first grow attempt and am a total beginner w. any gardening. These two plants are planted in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. Used an organic potting soil mixed w. coco coir. Had read a review of GeoFlora that says you can use normal potting soil with it. Should I add perlite and hold off on the GeoFlora?

GDP THC Bomb  06 03 2023 01
GDP THC Bomb  05 10 2023 07
GDP THC Bomb  05 10 2023 08
dreamnfox

dreamnfox

You cant add the perlite now, it needs to be mixed in with the soil before planting. If they were recently planted then i would take them out of the soil, mix in s fair amount of perlite them replant them. The roots will breath much better. That soil might have time released fertilizer. If so then no feed for a couple weeks at least

Hawk518

Hawk518

7/20/23 - looked more closely at my two plants today and noticed a couple problem leaves. Can anyone please tell me what the issue is and what I need to fix it? Thanks in advance!

GDP THC Bomb  07 20 2023 01
GDP THC Bomb  07 20 2023 02
GDP THC Bomb  07 20 2023 03
E

Eclipted

I’m a novice and do not know much about pests but that looks like a possible pest problem to me. Def get others opinions on that though

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Q1: I have white tips on 2 leaves. Plant is 5 weeks old. Last week I gave it a half dose of GeoFlora. I’ve done searches on white tips and answers are all over the place. Some say it’s bad and others say nothing to worry about. So, I’ll ask here: what are the white tips a result of? Nutrient burn? If so, do I hold off on giving them anymore GeoFlora next week? What do I need to do (if anything)?

Q2: Looks like it should be warm enough at night to leave them outside – read / heard that as long as above 55F, they should be ok. Accurate?

Q3: Still trying to figure out the possibility of setting up a grow tent. One MAJOR concern is the potential smell. How well do the carbon filters get rid of the smell? Worried that my books will absorb the odor. Has anyone had this kind of issue? If so, how did you solve the problem?
Odd that it seems so geometric that those two white tips are exactly in the same spot.

Were they white when it popped out of the soil? Was the seed covering/shell still attached on either one of those leaf tips? If so perhaps some tiny nutrient got stuck in the shell as it was trying to pop. Seed was attached to both leef tips. It sprouted , spread, giv8ng two white tips.
I know sounds crazy, but growing is full of surprises.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Thanks for your replies! Need all the help I can get - this is my first grow attempt and am a total beginner w. any gardening. These two plants are planted in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. Used an organic potting soil mixed w. coco coir. Had read a review of GeoFlora that says you can use normal potting soil with it. Should I add perlite and hold off on the GeoFlora?
I used a bag of that organic mix this year by itself outdoors.Just had to add some Fox Farms Grow Big once a week after it filled out cuz I noticed it was not nearly as dark green as my other plants. She's darkening up and looks healthy.

Hawk518

Hawk518

anymore areas similar to the second picture?
I just checked and noticed one other leaf that looks like an insect ate thru it. But what type of insect is it and how do I get rid of them?

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Many thanks! I'd heard they were possibly thrips. Now I'll need to read up on mites and find some Neem oil! Thanks again.
I know from experience that mites and ants go hand in hand. So if you have ants make up some bait and traps. The ants put the mites in place to harvest juice from them. I had to kill the ants them spray and kill the mites. Of course I couldn't go easy on the neem and burned my plants pretty good. But I have no issues now and help arrived in the way of prying mantis.
20230717 191417

Hawk518

Hawk518

7/23/23 – Sprayed both plants w. Captain Jack’s. Wondering when I need to reapply (or if the one spraying wiped them out). Looked all over online and the label itself and still couldn’t figure it out.

Hawk518

Hawk518

7/24/23 – In an attempt at LST, I bent the stems down a bit. Haven’t tied any of them down. Should I?

Also, I’ve seen a lot of vids / articles on lollipopping. Should I trim any of the lower branches off? Which leads me to wonder if I can try using the cuttings to clone new plants. Or is this just crazy talk?

GDP THC Bomb  07 24 2023 01
GDP THC Bomb  07 24 2023 02
Top Bottom