Absolute separated from Concrete?

• Thread starter MTgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

Is there anything one can add to their ethanol/bho solution to speed up the precipitation of the undesirables? Does activated carbon do this? What about a couple chunks of dry ice to instantly freeze it? Ill probably try the dry ice idea soon has anybody tried this?

The dry ice would bubble and spread particulate all over the place. Temperature is important but you also need to let the stuff settle a bit. Beyond that, please be aware that glass and a dry ice bath are probably not going to play super well together unless the glass is properly tempered.

That shit is going to get COOOOOOOLD. Much colder than your freezer would make it.

Mustard

Mustard

Thanks squiggly! I may not try it after all since I use mason jars and I know how easily those can crack. Maybe in a stainless flask but then I wouldn't really be able to see anything precipitate anyway.

jump

jump

The dry ice would bubble and spread particulate all over the place. Temperature is important but you also need to let the stuff settle a bit.
The filter will separate fragments of wax and pieces of ice from the boiling mixture.
In my opinion, is not necessary for them to have settled.

squiggly

squiggly

The filter will separate fragments of wax and pieces of ice from the boiling mixture.
In my opinion, is not necessary for them to have settled.

There are definitely some waxes which will pass through a filter if they are not first solidified (the filter is not small enough to filter out individual molecules)--but otherwise I agree with you.

jump

jump

You claim that CO2 bubbling prevents coagulation of waxes?

I did not use dry ice. In my opinion, it's pretty uncomfortable stuff you have to buy, transport and store in a very special way.

Recently discussed with a friend the possibility of a long soaking in butane with dry ice, in order to minimize the initial extraction of lipids and chlorophyll.

Perhaps CO2 ice is very good to cool the condenser in the recycling of butane and ethanol.

squiggly

squiggly

You claim that CO2 bubbling prevents coagulation of waxes?

I did not use dry ice. In my opinion, it's pretty uncomfortable stuff you have to buy, transport and store in a very special way.

Recently discussed with a friend the possibility of a long soaking in butane with dry ice, in order to minimize the initial extraction of lipids and chlorophyll.

Perhaps CO2 ice is very good to cool the condenser in the recycling of butane and ethanol.

More than anything I think that it would just make a huge mess. If you're going to do this I would definitely recommend using ethanol or something else which stays liquid at RT.

The dry ice will keep the stuff plenty cold enough to get the temps you're looking for without using butane (ethanol + dry ice = -72C).

As far as the coagulation aspect there is some time which is required for settling, and that won't be possible with dry ice bubbling around--that said, there's no reason why you couldn't just extract with dry ice/butane/what-have-you and then allow it to settle in a freezer afterwards.

More than anything I'm just used to using dry-ice baths in the lab.

They are messy, there's a lot of bubbling to deal with--if you build a special apparatus this might provide some benefit--but for the cost I can't justify it.

If this was something where you could just drop a block of dry ice into a thermos and get significantly better results I'd be all for it--it's just that I strongly doubt that.

jump

jump

How will change the spectrum of soluble and their rate of dissolution in butane at -72C?
Will there be blocked extraction of chlorophyll, lipids and waxes?

Mustard

Mustard

I tried dropping dry ice into a thermos +kief+butane medley to lower temperature as it soaked for hours. I'm not sure why the oil came out so dark and oily... I tried the same method the day before with 1/5 the amount of kief and no dry ice, and the oil came out just like it would have with the same yields and quality as if I had ran the flowers I used to make the kief.

Soooo... That sucked! I wasted 500 grams of kief this way. The oil was so runny i got some that seemed to drip in my freezer!

The only reason why I haven't experimented to find out why this happened is because I lost a few $!

Mustard

Mustard

If one knew they were making an absolute with there oil is there any reason not to blast directly into heated ethanol or acetone to instantly purge their butane? It would save some time for me that's for sure I think I'll try that next time!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Might be interesting trying to keep the ethanol warm with the butane refrigerating it boiling off. Maybe set the whole thing in a hot water bath...........

Mustard

Mustard

Yea that's what i was thinking, or a heat mat maybe. Though I don't think a heat mat could keep up...

squiggly

squiggly

Yea that's what i was thinking, or a heat mat maybe. Though I don't think a heat mat could keep up...

Sure it will.

You're talking thermodynamics here. The solvent only has so much evaporative cooling power--there is a finite amount of heat energy required to remove it all, so as long as the thing stays plugged in--it will eventually "catch up".

Mustard

Mustard

Oh yes I know it'll eventually catch up. Say I'm emptying 8 cans though one after another into a mason jar already a quarter or half full of ethanol, then there may be a problem.

squiggly

squiggly

If it was me I'd use an induction cook top which allows for fine control of the temperature. There is no better or safer solution than this for doing such processes at home.

Mustard

Mustard

That's been on the list for sometime... One day I'll get some induction technology

Graywolf

Graywolf

My question is, if you do add a transport solvent to the extraction tank/bell, and you recover 100% of your tane, is what you're eventually left with considered absolute (AA)?

An absolute is an oleoresin or concrete extracted with a non polar solvent and winterized to remove the waxes, with a polar solvent.

Winterizing would be redissolving the butane extraction in alcohol, freezing it until the plant waxes coagulate and then filtering them out.

Top Bottom