AC Air Handler VS Mini Split

• Thread starter brd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brd

brd

I have been running mini splits for three years. Been pretty good and they have to work in a cold environment for 4 months out of the year. My biggest con is the evaporators need to be cleaned often and it's a pain to do it. I'm thinking about phasing out and going with air handlers just looking for pros and cons from people with experience.

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

I think it all depends on the space available, I run a normal split ac and the new spot I have its hard to make it not visible(handler in the room, condenser outside) lol, but my old spot I had the handler right on top of my room ducted and my condenser right next to it. I haven't used a mini split but the next room I build(soon) I'll be using 2 24000 or 2 36000 mini splits.

Hope this helps
-lurkin

deacon1503

deacon1503

Conventional splits offer more cfm, and typically have a bit more cooling "power" than minis even at lower 2 and 3 ton levels. It's usually space, budget and electrical reasons on why one is chosen over the other.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

If you intend to buy a split ac with air handler be mindful if you are hanging it horizontal or vertical. Horizontal setups need an air handler that has a variable speed fan. Otherwise it runs on full blast all the time and can suck condensation into places it's not suppossed to be and water starts dripping out of it.

blazer

blazer

If you intend to buy a split ac with air handler be mindful if you are hanging it horizontal or vertical. Horizontal setups need an air handler that has a variable speed fan. Otherwise it runs on full blast all the time and can suck condensation into places it's not suppossed to be and water starts dripping out of it.
Horrizontal or vertical has no differnce on variable speed blower,if your dripping condensate then something is not correct, may be as easy as insulating a pipe or duct work. Even if fan is on full speed should not pull condensate of coil!

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Horrizontal or vertical has no differnce on variable speed blower,if your dripping condensate then something is not correct, may be as easy as insulating a pipe or duct work. Even if fan is on full speed should not pull condensate of coil!

I agree it shouldn't happen- yet it does under the right circumstances i.e high humidity and hot rooms. Trust me. Variable fan speed is a plus if you install horizontal or get a good HVAC tech whom can dail in the fan speed of a non variable unit. FWIW -Fresh

blazer

blazer

Must be something else going on, a variable or one speed blower will no make no difference in a horizontal or vertical unit on condensate dripping maybe dirty coils or something else causing it

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Must be something else going on, a variable or one speed blower will no make no difference in a horizontal or vertical unit on condensate dripping maybe dirty coils or something else causing it

It was driving me mad with condensate dripping out of the air handler. I took off the panel to view the coils and condensation was covering the entire handler- even the fan motor had condensate on it! I went through two HVAC techs. One thought the system was low on refridgerant. The other thought it was a dirty filter. I checked both and still the condensation was an issue. Third HVAC guy walked in and changed the blower fan speed and voila! no more condensate problem. The motor was so powerful it was sucking water droplets from the coil past the drain pan and into the handler. It can happen

blazer

blazer

Don't get me wrong not saying it don't happen just saying there is a differnt cause than variable speed vurses sinle speed and horizontal and vertical units, must have maybe low air flow to be condensating that much,maybe more return if its not leeting your condensate not to drain out fast enough that it builds up to overflow or get sucked to the airstream, just saying something else causing it that maybe the airflow adjustment helped with the condesate problem but still could be other issues going on such as airflow or charge problems sounds like more like airflow issue

brd

brd

I went with a 3.5 ton condenser and a 4 ton evaporator. Hopefully remove a little more moisture while running. I love it. I wish I went this way from the beginning. In another year I'll know more about AC than my mechanical buddy. I have a 5 ton roof top unit with a economizer that really does kick ass in the winter without CO2 but shitty in the summer way to inefficient with all that duct. I also have 6 tons of mini split and they do work well but to many bells, whistles and plastic. The conventional split seams to be the way to go. Cleaning coils will be a breeze.

TrichCrazy

TrichCrazy

I like the fact that the traditional split has so much more of a fan which is able to cool the air faster. I am able to run 8 lights non air cooled in the middle of the summer with no problems with my 4 ton. plus if you duct it out you will get a much more consistent room temps.

S

Seed Buyer

fresh starts - the condasent water was being pulled back through the pvc drain on the pan and dripping/blowing onto the coil and then onto the floor.

Top Bottom