AC box for windowless room

• Thread starter evu80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
evu80

evu80

There seems to be conflicting information on the proper way of building a ventilation box for AC intended to be used without a window.

Some say its more complicated than building a box two feet bigger in dimensions with an intake and exhaust port cause the unit needs ambient air and a separate port to exhaust the heat.

anyhow I just want something that works. Right now I have two 24k btu units side by side in my bloom room and I fired it up for the first time thinking its going to work but instead it overheated and stopped producing cold air.

My units are mounted to the ceiling and is encased in a wooden box that is about 2 feet bigger in dimension. I have an attic space directly above so I had cut out a 2 by 5 feet section for ambient air to flow through and on the back end of the box I have a 2000 cfm fan exhausting the heat back into the attic space but its near the attic vent.

my box just gets really hot and if i had to guess, its 130+ degrees in there,

is it normal for units to get this hot?

S

serpent

my attic air is hot as hell half the year,you dont want to use hot ambient air for cooling.using cool crawl space air would be a lot better(if you have one).you need a fan/insulated ducting to bring cool air in and vent the hot air out of the attic with insulated ducting.will make the a/c run more efficent.not to many fans are rated for 130 degree temps.your a/c box still will be hot,just not 130.

Top Bottom