Accidently Left my infrared light bars on for two hours total.

• Thread starter Beefcurtins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

didn’t say it was, it was you who said ir light is useless to photo plants..
I don’t know if it will actually do anything it’s just a function on one of my uv light bars so figured it wouldn’t hurt using. Here’s the actually wavelength chart it doesn’t look like it goes to far past 750 so it’s mostly just extra far red. What I read says to use it 15 mins before lights on and after lights out to kind of lull it asleep and awake or something lol. Just as nightlight explained here. But they were fine no worries they looked just as fresh as they usually do in the morning.

IMG 5876
IMG 5878
Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

For the sake of clarity, you should always name the specific wavelengths because plants do not have human eyes and do not perceive these wavelengths just as we do as abstract "red" "green" but they use several photoreceptors that can absorb a much broader spectrum although one -phytochrome- does have a breaking point at around 700nm, where red becomes farred and the light is no more PAR.
Plants can sense, and use, farred up to 780nm, very intricate lab tests have shown even a bit further down into IR, but real IR - talking heat radiation - that is wavelengths starting from 1000nm to way beyond 5000nm, this is what is usually been used in IR radiators etc.. these wavelengths do only heat up the leaves and are not sensed by phytochrome.
As for using FR "IR" at the end of the day, it's a "sleep" initiation, or better, it helps speed up the conversion of Pr to Pfr, which usually happens in the dark from alone but needs close to one hour. So to use a FR-EOD can help the accumulation of the hormones that trigger the flowering response, in other words, it's like the night had extra hour added, so instead doing 12/12 you can do 13h of light, followed by 15mins 730nm FR and just 11h of night. In order to pump more light in the plant, or you let it at 12h and just help it in case it mucks around, some genetics may indeed need more than 12h of night for the finish.
Now outside in nature the evening dawn there the spectrum is totally dominated by farred so this puts plants already "to sleep" this is why outside light pollution or fullmoon light etc may not matter. In the end it's a matter of the ratio of PAR red : farred which is measured and weighted against and this creates a hormone state which will further dicate how the plant is going to react to the ambient light scenario. So it's possible if the plant in sleep is illuminated with adequately strong light all the Pfr will transform and "awaken" the plant, then reveg or delay of the flowering transition can indeed occur.
One last word, as the article above stated you can neutralize a night interruption with ending in FR - that only works for a few times, like 2-3 consecutive days, after that, the plant will behave as being PAR illuminated. It's because PAR light is sensed by other receptors as well. But that trick does e.g. work if an accidental night interruption happened during flower, then do FR-EOD and it will be much less chance of reveg. Also when having to work in the growspace at night using a green mono, the FR-EOD is helpful. But don't use FR excessively several times throughout the flowering night - it also can delay flowering then, Bugbee did a thorough test on this one with Cannabis as well.

Cheers
This is awesome thanks I couldn’t find much info about it with google searches main thing I can find is that Mara hydro article about uv and ir.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

It will not harm them for such a little time, plus they are in veg so anything up to 24h works
24 hours really? Its about 7 days since I switched to flower actually but with how they reacted to those two hours after lights off I can’t see them accepting it being on all night and then all during lights on.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

For the sake of clarity, you should always name the specific wavelengths because plants do not have human eyes and do not perceive these wavelengths just as we do as abstract "red" "green" but they use several photoreceptors that can absorb a much broader spectrum although one -phytochrome- does have a breaking point at around 700nm, where red becomes farred and the light is no more PAR.
Plants can sense, and use, farred up to 780nm, very intricate lab tests have shown even a bit further down into IR, but real IR - talking heat radiation - that is wavelengths starting from 1000nm to way beyond 5000nm, this is what is usually been used in IR radiators etc.. these wavelengths do only heat up the leaves and are not sensed by phytochrome.
As for using FR "IR" at the end of the day, it's a "sleep" initiation, or better, it helps speed up the conversion of Pr to Pfr, which usually happens in the dark from alone but needs close to one hour. So to use a FR-EOD can help the accumulation of the hormones that trigger the flowering response, in other words, it's like the night had extra hour added, so instead doing 12/12 you can do 13h of light, followed by 15mins 730nm FR and just 11h of night. In order to pump more light in the plant, or you let it at 12h and just help it in case it mucks around, some genetics may indeed need more than 12h of night for the finish.
Now outside in nature the evening dawn there the spectrum is totally dominated by farred so this puts plants already "to sleep" this is why outside light pollution or fullmoon light etc may not matter. In the end it's a matter of the ratio of PAR red : farred which is measured and weighted against and this creates a hormone state which will further dicate how the plant is going to react to the ambient light scenario. So it's possible if the plant in sleep is illuminated with adequately strong light all the Pfr will transform and "awaken" the plant, then reveg or delay of the flowering transition can indeed occur.
One last word, as the article above stated you can neutralize a night interruption with ending in FR - that only works for a few times, like 2-3 consecutive days, after that, the plant will behave as being PAR illuminated. It's because PAR light is sensed by other receptors as well. But that trick does e.g. work if an accidental night interruption happened during flower, then do FR-EOD and it will be much less chance of reveg. Also when having to work in the growspace at night using a green mono, the FR-EOD is helpful. But don't use FR excessively several times throughout the flowering night - it also can delay flowering then, Bugbee did a thorough test on this one with Cannabis as well.

Cheers
Sorry for all the comments lmao but can you explain how I should be using the ir spectrum Ontop of the uv? I’m using 15 mins ir before lights on then uv turns on as main lights turn on for half hour. Then the end of the day I do ten on ten off ten off of ir before lights out while having uv on that whole half hour of on and off ir. Then uv turns off after half hour with the main lights. Then I leave the ir on for 10 mins after lights out. This is what I’ve come to read is the best to do but do you have any suggestions? You seem pretty damn knowledgeable hahahah. Also I’m using the spider farmer uv ir bars you can see above not like a uv ir light switch button on the light. Not sure if that makes a difference. Since you said 24 hours I could see if it was the switch but this extra supplemental lighting must be a lot stronger than if built into the light

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

It will not harm them for such a little time, plus they are in veg so anything up to 24h works
There’s actually four extra light bars total. Two big ones just uv 30 watts and two smaller ones 40 watts thst half the ir with uv. Not sure if that would matter in making your suggestions lol. This is with the spider farmer g8600 at 60% soon to be 80% at week 3 of flower

Z

Zill

Beefcurtians,

Good stuff. Emerson’s work with various light wavelengths also discovered the two plant photo systems.

zill.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Keep an eye out for nanners but 2 hours should be fine. Cannabis is the most photo sensitive plant though so try and use a timer maybe. Again should be fine though, just learn from it

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Sorry for all the comments lmao but can you explain how I should be using the ir spectrum Ontop of the uv? I’m using 15 mins ir before lights on then uv turns on as main lights turn on for half hour. Then the end of the day I do ten on ten off ten off of ir before lights out while having uv on that whole half hour of on and off ir. Then uv turns off after half hour with the main lights. Then I leave the ir on for 10 mins after lights out. This is what I’ve come to read is the best to do but do you have any suggestions? You seem pretty damn knowledgeable hahahah. Also I’m using the spider farmer uv ir bars you can see above not like a uv ir light switch button on the light. Not sure if that makes a difference. Since you said 24 hours I could see if it was the switch but this extra supplemental lighting must be a lot stronger than if built into the light
Ok if you can trigger the 730 and 385nm separately then you got all option open to do it right.

Main light - for veg anything works in between 18-24h of light. UV isn't necessary at this point but can be used to have them grow a bit more stocky, with less internode length. The FR 730 will do just the opposite, and greatly increase stretching as well as have other morphological consequences, namely a bit less pronounced root mass and less side shoots. Also increase leaf surface area, decrease leaf thickness and increase leaf hyponasty, ie. the petioles grown under FR enriched spectrum will point more upwards, leaves will look more like "praying". However, this can also happen from strong growth alone and especially during the accelerated growth during the "flowering stretch".
The Farred does several different things to the plant, on several different orders, like Emerson-enhancement, but most important is you don't shatter the upper architecture/structure/photomorphogenesis and later the plant doesn't fit in your growspace anymore or light interception gets worse. So the usage of FR-730nm in veg is best treated with as minimal as the architecture allows. Which, when the genetic already expresses long internodes, means you do not use it at all.
That said, even the FR-730nm End-Of-Day treatment will lengthen internodes in comparison to no treatment. The other way to use FR is to have it on steadily like when the mainlight for a spectrum boost, get more deep effect, and generally increased photosynthesis when PAR PPFD levels are at a somewhat maximum of what topleaves could handle.
Both methods can be combined, the FR-EOD usually needs 15-20min to put the plants to sleep, it's important to have no other light on at this time, and afterwards keep them in total uninterrupted darkness.

Once you want them to flower you can either choose to use the traditional 12/12 or use a 13h on/ 11h off + FR-EOD but the latter method will cause a bit more stretching but you can pump more light into them, also the transition into flowering will be sped up a bit, although not all genetics may respond to this equally well. It's up to you to dim your main light to adjust to the same daily light integral or have it raised, usually the higher or longer vegged plants can make more use of higher DLI, so that's your choice. Usually being able to dim an LED by approx. 10% will gain you some efficiency in how much photons the lamp can generate for its consumed electricity, as well as increase longevity of the fixture.

Once the flowering stretch is mostly done, like 3-4 weeks after changing the photoperiod you can usually leave the 730nm diodes on for the full duration + 15mins after ther main light terminated.

As for the UV - this has been shown to increase resin/THC in some cultivars - in some it does not. It certainly will also changes the terpene profle and can also influence the outward appearance of leaves/buds, getting a purple hue. Plants try to shield themselves from harmful energetic blue wavebands by the buildup of specific photoprotective "sunscreen" pigments, and this is a gradual process. So it makes sense to start with a small time exposure to UV and increase weekly to arrive at a maximum length somewhere 2-3 weeks before harvest. Since you use UV-A and not UV-B your plants can take the full dduration - 12-13h daily. When you start, place the timeing of the UV at around the midday, so the plant had already some time doing photosynthesis without being exposed to UV - as UV can be photoinhibitive when the pigments don't shield yet or when exposure is simply too great of an influx.

I hope I didn't overhelm you now with a flood of information, usually such "light tweaking" is best done when you already know your cultivar, work from clone, in an attempt to optimize your results. There's alot of work still to be done on the science of it all esp. regarding what is a strains original terpene profile, and that can even influence the psychic effect the product later creates.

Good luck ✌️

S

synapse57

I've been trying to figure out this "FR EoD" "put them to bed" marketing by the Finnchy company. Apparently it involves me flipping switches on the light. smh. not very easy to do manually everyday.

I'm still trying to learn to measure UV-A and UV-B. but at this point, it's some trial n error and I'm not afraid to burn out some plants. My eyes are a different story, and the UV Glasses are next to the door, and I have to wear them or be blind. No excuses. Every Time. and damn can it hurt the vision.

Right now my Jr Mint x MAC1 is smelling very chocolate and aging beautiful. When I get my temperatures down in the next week or two I'll get the purple colors out of the fan leaves. 2nd run of this strain, with a bunch of clones. Some re-vegged, some not.

I guess I need some IR light bulbs for the Lights-Out time. If I want to go that far.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I've been trying to figure out this "FR EoD" "put them to bed" marketing by the Finnchy company. Apparently it involves me flipping switches on the light. smh. not very easy to do manually everyday.

I'm still trying to learn to measure UV-A and UV-B. but at this point, it's some trial n error and I'm not afraid to burn out some plants. My eyes are a different story, and the UV Glasses are next to the door, and I have to wear them or be blind. No excuses. Every Time. and damn can it hurt the vision.

Right now my Jr Mint x MAC1 is smelling very chocolate and aging beautiful. When I get my temperatures down in the next week or two I'll get the purple colors out of the fan leaves. 2nd run of this strain, with a bunch of clones. Some re-vegged, some not.

I guess I need some IR light bulbs for the Lights-Out time. If I want to go that far.
glasses? you shouldn’t even be in there when those lights are on, skin cancer, etc.. research..

Top Bottom