Acetone to Material Weight Ratios?

• Thread starter globe_toker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

globe_toker

Anyone have an idea of how much solvent to use for 1 lb. of decent trimmings?
-Acetone preferably.

If recalled properly, there was one guy who used 1 gallon per 317gm. but need to confirm this.

420Gator

420Gator

I wouldnt use acetone and a gallon for less than a P seems pretty high

G

globe_toker

I'm not here for a debate on which solvent is better than acetone. I've seen lab grade tone produce a better product than iso. Acetone yields the best out of any solvent. If anything the return from the acetone wash can go for a 2nd round wash with something else.

A gallon does seem like high for that amount but I think he was using buds, the yield was around 32gm. if I can remember correctly.

420Gator

420Gator

well at least we agree a gallon is too much lol I just dont like the taste, even with pure ace I can still taste it. hopefully someone else can chime in with better info

G

globe_toker

4# of bud was used, 9 gallons passed through and yielded approx 12oz. We used an additional gallon to make sure any oil wasn't left behind. We were thinking of 8 gal for 12# leaves but it is still being decided.

G

globe_toker

7 gallons passed through 5# of good trim. Wanted to mix more but you can tell the leaves require a bit of solvent to completely saturate them before it starts to pool up. 7# / 7 gal may have been pushing it so played it safe. That actually worked out to approx 324g per gallon initially.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I have had, made and smoked some really good oil. If done correctly you will wind up with some really good shatter or some really good goo. Here are my recommendations. 1st off make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and if you can't make sure you not near wherever it's purging, don't have an open flame, and always make sure you have very good fresh airflow. with that said if you make bubble hash outta your trim 1st you will wind up with a much superior smoking oil or smoking shatter then if you use the full trim. In either case place your trim in a half gallon or gallon mason jar, or whatever size mason jar you have, or just a big sealable container that is made out of glass or pyrex( if it's made out of plastic the plastic will leech into your finished product). Fill the jar to about an inch to 2 inches below the top. Next pour 100% pure acetone into the jay until it is just above the trim, seal the jar or container and either let it sit for 15 mins or shake it for 15 mins. after 15 mins pour the acetone through a coffee filter into a pyrex dish preferably a square pyrex dish. Repeat the acetone 15 min shaking process up too 4 time but 3 is just fine. after all of that acetone has been filtered into the pyrex dish place the pyrex dish in a hot water bath, it's important to make sure your water is at the right temperature. i prefer my water to be at around 190-210 degree farenheit however start at 170 degrees farenheit and then increase the temperature as more of the acetone vaporizes. this step isn't crucial but it will help. Finally as the acetone is vaporizing add 1-20 drops of distilled water to the liquid vaporizing acetone. The amount of water depends on how much acetone you have but a good rule of thumb is 5 to 10 drops. Finally wait until the acetone is completly vaporized and is somewhat hard to the touch but sticky if you press your finger against it for a few seconds. Then scape your product of the bottom of the pyrex dish with a clean razor blade and badda bing badda boom, you got hash oil or better yet shatter. If done correctly you want your product to come out kind of crumbly or chunky. Also i suggest doing this cycle several times, once with the first batch of acetone then repeat for each batch up to 4 batches, this will help seperate out your better hash from the not so good hash 1st batch being the best 4th batch being the worst. Take it easy and i hope this lays down the basics for running your 1st batch of acetone oil. ***Make sure to inhale as little of the acetone vapors as possible, and do this in a very well ventilated area*** Take it easy

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

and i know you just asked how much acetone to use, but i figured i'd give ya the full scoop cuz generally if your asking how much acetone to use that means it's your first time making it. Generally. Take it easy post some pics of it if you can after you make it

G

globe_toker

Generally but not int his case. We use 20 gallon bubble bags for oil filtration since they are cheap and work well. In smaller scale extractions for purity like your example, coffee filters do the job but we will actually filter through 110, 90 and 73 screens which produce a better product. I'm not sure what micron coffee filters are though but we have stopped using them.

Top Bottom