Act Compost Tea - My Overview

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

Aerated Composted Tea not only provides good microbes, bacteria and fungi, who feed the plants, but those microbes also occupy the space and consume the food that would otherwise encourage bad microbes and larger pests. I have no experience using ACTs, but here is what I've found from googling pretty hard.

There are a few kinds of ACTS:

1) General Feeding: Worm castings and black strap molasses alone. For a 5 gallon bucket that's 2C WC and 1/2C BSM.

2) Veg Nutrient Tea: Many people consider this to be an entirely different thing. Start with earth worm castings, black strap molasses,, and then frequent additional ingredients: fish hydrolysate (high quality), alfalfa meal, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, soft rock phosphate, High N Bat Guano (Mexican), and a little kelp.

3) Fungal Nutrient Tea: Some people like to give an occasional batch which has more fungi, which uses more kelp -- at the expense of the bacteria.

4) Bloom Nutrient Tea: Some people brew a separate nutrient tea for the flowering phase. This might use high P guanos, such as High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican) instead of the hign N Bat Guano.

5) Foliar Tea: I think I can use general tea, strained and undiluted. I need to read more. It seems to be more about crowding out bad microbes and not attracting pests than actually feeding the plant.

*Note: You can find 99 different recipes in all shapes and sizes. Not many people categorize the teas like I did above. I listed the most common stuff that I observed.

Any of these teas need to be bubbled VIGOROUSLY for 24-48 hours, and a "pretty good" aquarium pump won't be enough. Remember to clean the air filter stones. The brews should also be stirred vigorously at least twice a day. Some people filter out the floating material, some don't. If you do, don't use a mesh so fine that it removes the beneficial fungi. Most pillow cases are woven too tightly. A 5-gallon paint strainer from a hardware store works well. I won't strain the nutrient tea, not sure about the general tea.

I'm growing in soil bags, 100 gallons of "pretty good" well-draining composted soil.

HOW MUCH? I've read as little as one cup diluted for 60 square yards! I'm skeptical, so I plan on using 12 cups per tree-sized plant, approximately one square yard. That is 720 times more than that. I'll dilute with as much water as the plants need.

HOW OFTEN? I've read one feeding every 1-2 weeks. Again, I'm skeptical. I plan on feeding every 3rd day, using the general tea for 3 feedings, and then using a nutrient tea on the 4th feeding; repeat.

PS: I have zero experience with compost tea, sorry. I've read for about 20 hours and this was my attempt to make cliffnotes from what I learned. I hope it helps! Maybe some comments below will correct, clarify, and extend this post.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

every thing you mention,its typed out for a big picture,but check it out overall,lot of money right? you get all the same stuff in a bag of dr.earth with ewc and aleo vera,maybe some others also,i take a old pair of panty hose add about 2 lbs into it,hang from a stake tied off,place over my 18 gal tote and turn on the bubbles add about half cup of molasse and let her go couple days.im always looking for better ways,read all them bags and you will see most are same things you mentioned,you are on the right track though,good luck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't use air stones. Use PVC with holes drilled at the bottom. I don't know how much of Microbe Man you've read, but IIRC he has found that adding kelp doesn't aid anything, but if your goal is a fungal dominant tea then use something like baby oatmeal.

I think it's also time for you to start learning about plant juice teas, or fermented plant juice. I've gotten a flowering plant to produce blossoms by using spent Camellia blossoms (a very expensive rhododendron that finally gave up the ghost with the drought)(I never should have spent so much on a fucking rhododendron)(but, there you have it). :)

tj Wise

tj Wise

The general tea is cheap for a season, bs molasses and worm casings. I already got four big air stones for about 22$. The nute versions can be more pricey, but I got my list for about 120$ additional.

tj Wise

tj Wise

I think kelp helps fungal but hurts bacterial? My plan is to try a fungal brew every 20 days or so. Maybe I'll just apply that on the north side.

tj Wise

tj Wise

Plant juice? My head already hurts from learning so much lol. Is there a for-dummies style I can read?

tj Wise

tj Wise

What do you think of me chopping up dandelion roots to get some good stuff in to my soil ?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I've had success drenching with fungal tea weekly during the second half of flower. Read anecdotal evidence somewhere saying that the way bacteria teas can help make a pathway for N, fungal teas do the same for P and K.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What do you think of me chopping up dandelion roots to get some good stuff in to my soil ?
Do the roots contain what you're after? If you're after root stimulating hormones, use the roots. If you're after blossoms, use blossoms. If you're after vegetative growth use leaves. Macerate, cover with water, add some sugar if you want a faster ferment, don't if you want some time.

tj Wise

tj Wise

You have a knack for explaining things. I was just thinking of how easy it would be to pull out complete, large, healthy roots; presumably with flocks of hearty, root-friendly micro-organisms. Dandelion roots come right up.... I could grind up a few pounds... Half for tea and some just mixed into the soil (?) But anyway, I'll add the sugar... And air bubble also?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No bubbling needed for making ferments. In fact, it should be discouraged.

tj Wise

tj Wise

No bubbling needed for making ferments. In fact, it should be discouraged.
Ok, I macerated a bunch of dandelion roots and put 1.5 cups in a mason jar, plus one teaspoon sugar, and added water over the line, with three inches of air over that. I shook well, and removed the lid. Now what? No sun? 70 degrees? Wait 7 days? I googled but failed to find much. Help? THANKS!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A week is a start, but I'd keep it covered to prevent evaporation and bugs. A week to a month should be a good time frame to unlock the stuff in those roots. :)

Top Bottom