Acting on a Neighbors Tip...

• Thread starter Max Paynal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Max Paynal

New Haven Independent
by Melissa Bailey | September 9, 2009 9:36 PM

(Updated) Cops swept in on a Dwight Street home Wednesday after neighbors reported seeing marijuana plants growing on the roof.

One man was arrested and a half-million dollars of pot were seized during the bust at at 109 Dwight St., said police spokesman Officer Joe Avery.

Acting on a neighbor’s tip, cops arrived at the multi-family home around 2 p.m. They looked on the roof and, sure enough, they found 16 marijuana plants. The fire department removed them.

The building has 9 apartments, so it wasn’t clear who was growing the reefer — until a man happened to come home. When he saw the narcotics cops, he “started running,” Avery said. The man was quickly apprehended.

A drug-sniffing confirmed cops’ suspicion: The man’s apartment reeked of marijuana.

Cops applied for a search warrant to look inside. Three hours later, they returned with the warrant. Inside his apartment, they found a half-million dollars worth of marijuana, Avery said. The man, who’s 34, was arrested.

In the main living room, cops seized 376 starter marijuana plants weighing a total of six pounds, heating and growing lamps, ventilation fans, marijuana seeds, and incriminating photos.

Inside a hidden room, cops found an elaborate growing operation with 58 mature pot plants weighing nearly seven pounds, along with more grow lights and fans.

The suspect was charged with seven crimes, including operating a drug factory and possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell within 1500 feet of a school.

The total weight of all plants seized was 24.13 pounds.

Posted by: Patriot | September 10, 2009 2:45 PM

How do they put a price tag on that product. They take the entire plant, root ball and stalk included, and weight it out to just under 25lbs. 500,000 divided by 25 equals $20,000 per pound. If they include the clones and seedlings into the estimate then the handful of seeds I have make me a multi-millionaire.

Posted by: Lt. John Velleca | September 10, 2009 7:08 PM

There were a total of 452 plants siezed. Each adult plant can yield a pound or so of marijuana. In New Haven, marijuana (non-hydro) sells for about $3,000.00 a pound. Roughly, that seizure is actually around 1.35 million. We base the estimate on the value of mature plants. Hope that helps clarify some things for you.

R

Rolln J

Posted by: Lt. John Velleca | September 10, 2009 7:08 PM

There were a total of 452 plants siezed. Each adult plant can yield a pound or so of marijuana. In New Haven, marijuana (non-hydro) sells for about $3,000.00 a pound. Roughly, that seizure is actually around 1.35 million. We base the estimate on the value of mature plants. Hope that helps clarify some things for you.[/quote]

rofl what a tool - one lb per plant inside - talk about putting in the SCREW!

R

ReelBusy1

I wonder what nutes the cops use to get a pound per plant....?
:smiley_joint:

S

scuba steve

You get lucky to get 2 oz's per plant indoors,even under the best conditions.More like 1 per plant,i get those numbers,and i use co2,climate automation.Where do they get off,by padding these numbers???Well all we can do is overgrow the goverment!!!Everbody plant some magic beans!!!

S

shdowlkr

If that guy had that kind of grow indoors, he was a total dumbass putting plants on the roof in plain view... I bet some other dude in that apartment complex just got off scott free for the 16 plants he had on the roof, lmao..

R

Rolln J

I wonder what nutes the cops use to get a pound per plant....?
:smiley_joint:

lol yeah they should share the info

:smiley_joint: = coolest emote ever!

If that guy had that kind of grow indoors, he was a total dumbass putting plants on the roof in plain view... I bet some other dude in that apartment complex just got off scott free for the 16 plants he had on the roof, lmao..

D'oh!

J

justwannablaze

yeah haha great.. dumbass roof grower, and him running got him caught.. never run if you're not sure.. haha if you are.. then run like a mofo lol

convex

convex

It seems to me the climate is ripe for dismissing the misinformation on plant yields in court.

With so many legitimate medical gardens and warehouse grows, there are now many candidates for expert witnesses to take the stand and dispute the inflated numbers.

There are now experts in the field that should have more influence on a jury than a misinformed cop.

G

Georgewbush

I have a couple things to add to this discussion.

1- I actually lived in the same house and know this grower. He helped me get started in fact. But I had moved out 6 months prior to him getting busted. He was so so so foolish and careless and I knew something like that was gonna happen, so I left for my own safety. He was absolutely the one growing those plants on the rooftops, and it does not surprise me at all. He was not all there mentally. Dangerous. Another reason I left.

The only reason I am coming across this thread now is because I recently got busted as well for being careless and so decided to do a search and see what he ended up getting as a sentence.

2- In my own case, the prosecutor is pushing to have the evidence destroyed because he says it is stinking up the whole place where it's stored. My lawyer said when he was in pretrial this morning the prosecutor was saying the cops at the storage facility couldn't believe how much it stinks. That's the sour d right there:)

So the prosecutor has his "expert" who wants to document what's there and how much it would actually have been. They want to charge me with intent to sell over 1 kilo. That's absurd man there is no way I had anywhere near that much. So, we are bringing our own "expert" from Manhattan for another opinion. So, experts are readily being used to determine quantity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom