Activated Carbon/Charcoal for color remediation

• Thread starter Tincandtoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

This is a link to a page that explains the carbon scrubbing process
It answers some of the questions people have about cannabinoid loss and isomerization
After some research on another site (future4200) I was comfortable using carbon to scrub the color from my tincture
More information is coming out to support the use of filtering
The way I process I don't feel there is any cannabinoid loss or isomerization (conversion of delta-9 to delta-8)
I use a product called https://extraktlab.com/carbonx/
Bought 100 grams when it was in its introductory phase at $1.47 (US) a gram
Now that it is in full production it is cost prohibitive
The above article shows that good activated charcoal works just as well without the cannabinoid loss
Does have trace amounts of carcinogens

If you buy product from unknown sources it may be worth it to work a carbon scrub into your tincture making
I use the carbon mixed into the tincture then poured into a Buchner funnel that has a celite 545 puck and a slow filter paper on the head of the main filter
Mainly extracting THC and CBD for people in a lot of distress
Working my way around to see how much of the plant profile can be preserved

Remember when you reduce tincture to concentrate you are concentrating the impurities too
This is good news and I don't feel so bad after the pummeling I took for filtering
Everyone screamed about loss
I change out everything when I filter and use celite and slow filter paper to keep carbon out of my final tincture product

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Does it taste better?

YES!!!

It has made edibles palatable to non users
I don't think people appreciate how off putting the taste of simple filtered reduction can be
Some people have a visceral reaction that can include vomiting
Simply put it masks the taste enough that any flavoring will easily cover up the residual
Now that cannabinoid loss is not a factor I may increase the carbonX a gram and do multiple runs to see how clear I can get it

My edibles have no cannabis taste in them
I use infused coconut oil and simple syrup to infuse my edibles

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I don't think people appreciate how off putting the taste of simple filtered reduction can be
Some people have a visceral reaction that can include vomiting
Simply put it masks the taste enough that any flavoring will easily cover up the residual
My wife loves to cook but she won't make anything with tincture in it because it makes her sick. This could help. I'd like to have some edibles.

My edibles have no cannabis taste in them
We've tried several things. I like it in coffee with creamer. It also mixes well with some fruit juices.

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

My wife loves to cook but she won't make anything with tincture in it because it makes her sick. This could help. I'd like to have some edibles.

We've tried several things. I like it in coffee with creamer. It also mixes well with some fruit juices.
Been playing around with carbon filtering for about 4 years
The cannabinoid loss was a major sticking point
All anecdotal and on the commercial scale

With the introduction of distillate and refined RSO filtering became unnecessary
More people are growing themselves so fi!tearing is back
IMG 20240124 141640
IMG 20240124 141809
IMG 20231119 175048

Top two pics are filtering the material to make tincture bottom pic is the tincture being filtered with carbon and celite

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

IMG 20240314 180457
IMG 20240314 180627

Pick up of refined RSO
This is for pain edibles only
Green Truck has a decent reputation and I am comfortable leaving them be and not adding some ethanol and giving it a filter
You can get close to refined RSO
My finished oil compared to theirs is darker
Its oxidation that I cannot control in a kitchen environment
I think clay may get rid of the amber/red color but I remove enough of the color to make the taste more than palatable
But at $18 A gram its hard to pass up

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

IMG 20240319 145450
IMG 20240319 145730
IMG 20240319 151642
IMG 20240319 151647

New batch of infused syrup
75mg per teaspoon guesstimate

Latest posts

Top Bottom