activated carbon in soil question

• Thread starter bastard_x
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bastard_x

Would this be beneficial to your plants to put small pieces of activated carbon into the soil? I imagine it would have some purifying effect but would it leach the soil or effect the roots? Just curious if anyone has thoughts or experience with this .

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
My uncle used to add charred wood chunks (charcoal really) to his veggie garden, said it sweetened the soil...what that means i'm not to sure of but i just googled your question and it seams there may be something to it.
FJ

B

bastard_x

Thanks for the reply FJ . I know that it will help keep standing water fresh longer if you put a small piece in there and i know they use it in water filters and air filters . It even has a detoxifying effect if you eat small amounts of it (dont try this at home kids).
If i was running soil i would try it and let everyone know how it went but i run straight pearlite and they already leach pretty easy .
I found this information on a website of an activated carbon dealer;

While charcoal helps to clean the soil of pollutants, it also acts as a soil conditioner. It is used as a top dressing for gardens, bowling greens and lawns. Charcoal also acts as a substitute for lime in soil additives because of the potash content, and it can be a little cheaper than lime. It is used for potting and bedding compounds as a soil and mulch sweetener, and as a fertilizer and insecticide for roses. Some orchids seem to love it. One study showed that adding charcoal to the rooting medium of peas produced a marked increase in the weight of the pea plants and in nitrogen fixation by the plants as compared to controls. It is suggested that the benefits derived from charcoal are due to its adsorption of toxic metabolites that are often released by plant tissues, especially when the tissues are damaged. Charcoal is indispensable in rye grass seed production.

“While charcoal helps to clean the soil of pollutants, it also acts as a soil conditioner. It is used as a top dressing for gardens, bowling greens and lawns. Charcoal also acts as a substitute for lime in soil additives because of the potash content, and it can be a little cheaper than lime. It is used for potting and bedding compounds as a soil and mulch sweetener, and as a fertilizer and insecticide for roses. Some orchids seem to love it. One study showed that adding charcoal to the rooting medium of peas produced a marked increase in the weight of the pea plants and in nitrogen fixation by the plants as compared to controls. It is suggested that the benefits derived from charcoal are due to its adsorption of toxic metabolites that are often released by plant tissues, especially when the tissues are damaged. Charcoal is indispensable in rye grass seed production.

Here are some planting tips using charcoal chips. Start with a plastic liner in a tray. Add half an inch to an inch of gravel in the bottom for drainage. Next, sprinkle enough charcoal chips to cover the gravel layer. Charcoal will help keep bacteria at bay. Top this with potting soil and add your plants"

So i guess i answered my own question but still dont know the specific details on how it works with canabis plants. But from what ive read it definately would not hurt them.

Top Bottom