Active sunspot AR2158 erupted on Sept. 10th, producing a strong X1.6-class solar flare...

• Thread starter geologic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
http://spaceweather.com

---------------------------------

...and yesterday AR2158 produced a glancing CME--

with the space station right in front of it...

Isstransit strip

durian

durian

What would that mean actually? Besides the obvious?
Respect

Ionizing radiation from the flare could cause HF radio blackouts and other communications disturbances, especially on the day-lit side of Earth. In the next few hours, when coronagraph data from SOHO and STEREO become available, we will see if a CME emerges from the blast site. If so, the cloud would likely be aimed directly at Earth and could reach our planet in 2 to 3 days. Stay tuned for updates about geomagnetic storms in the offing.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
A pair of CMEs is heading for Earth. The two solar storm clouds were launched on Sept. 9th and 10th by strong explosions in the magnetic canopy of sunspot AR2158. NOAA forecasters estimate a nearly 80% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Sept. 12th when the first of the two CMEs arrives. Auroras are in the offing, possibly visible at mid-latitudes before the weekend..

Sunspot AR2158 erupted on Sept. 10th at 17:46 UT, producing an X1.6-class solar flare. A flash of ultraviolet radiation from the explosion ionized the upper layers of Earth's atmosphere, disturbing HF radio communications for more than an hour. More importantly, the explosion hurled a CME directly toward Earth.

Radio emissions from shock waves at the leading edge of the CME suggest that the cloud tore through the sun's atmosphere at speeds as high as 3750 km/s. That would make this a very fast moving storm, and likely to reach Earth before the weekend. Auroras are definitely in the offing. Stay tuned for a more detailed forecast in the hours ahead

The X-flare of Sept 10th caused a radio blackout on Earth. Ironically, it also caused a blast of radio noise. Radio astronomers and hams in the Americas and across the Pacific Ocean heard static roaring from the loudspeakers of their shortwave receivers.

http://spaceweather.com/ ...

Jimmynitz

Jimmynitz

Pisces Genetics
I heard the storm should arrive Friday or Saturday, so ill be going outside to look both nights. The one and only time I saw the the northern lights was back in 2000 when there was a major storm that most of the states could see.
I found out about it around 1-2am on my way home from a friends house listening to the Art Bell show....he was going nuts saying he could see the northern lights outside...in Nevada! When i heard that i was like HOLY SHIT. Got home and there it was, green and red slowly moving in the sky....Very cool, I hope to see it again.

Grow Up

Grow Up

When I see photos like this, I'm always a little surprised that in the 7 billion years our planet has existed, the sun has not somehow wiped it out of existence. That tells me the likelihood of it ever happening must be very low indeed.

AfricanHaze

AfricanHaze

I heard the storm should arrive Friday or Saturday, so ill be going outside to look both nights. The one and only time I saw the the northern lights was back in 2000 when there was a major storm that most of the states could see.
I found out about it around 1-2am on my way home from a friends house listening to the Art Bell show....he was going nuts saying he could see the northern lights outside...in Nevada! When i heard that i was like HOLY SHIT. Got home and there it was, green and red slowly moving in the sky....Very cool, I hope to see it again.

What?! You saw the Northern Lights in Nevada?? You have to be pulling our collective leg.

Last edited:
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
What?! You saw the Northern Lights in Nevada?? You have to be pulling our collective leg.
BOULDER, Colo. — Intense solar storms made the night sky shimmer red and green with auroras as far south as southern California and New Mexico over the first weekend in April 2001.

The biggest sunspot cluster seen in at least 10 years had developed on the upper right quarter of the side of the sun visible from Earth, according to satellite readings.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/science/2001-04-01-solarflare.htm ...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
For the second time today, a CME has hit Earth's magnetic field. The first strike, described below, was relatively minor. The second impact, which occured at approximately 1600 UT, could be more potent CME #2 was propelled toward Earth by a powerful X-class solar flare on Sept. 10th. It could spark strong geomagnetic storms extending from Earth's poles to mid-latitudes. Stay tuned for updates about this developing story--and be alert for auroras!

The first of two CMEs expected to hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 12th arrived on schedule. Although the geomagnetic storm it provoked was technically only minor (G-1-class), Northern Lights were observed as far south as Arizona. Chris Schur photographed the red glow of auroras peaking over the trees in the backyard of his home in Payson, AZ:
Arizona strip

Some readers may be skeptical of this observation, but it is real. Schur is a veteran photographer of auroras; he knows what they look like. Moreover, red is the correct color for auroras at low latitudes.

"This pink glow right under Ursa Major was visible to the naked eye before the moon came up," says Schur. "These were the first auroras here in Arizona since the previous solar maximum."

A second and potentially more powerful CME is still en route. Geomagnetic storming could become strong (G3-classs) during the late hours of Sept. 12th and Sept 13th after the second CME arrives. NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance that geomagnetic storming will reach mid-latitudes. Sky watchers everywhere should remain alert for auroras.

http://spaceweather.com/

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was absolutely amazed when my sons and parents called me from Landers/Flamingo Hts. California (south of Twenty-nine Palms, Joshua Tree, north of Yucca Valley) to say they were watching the lights. This was years ago, but still, latitude is latitude. Mind=BLOWN.

Top Bottom