Added CO2 by placing intake near water heater flame?

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hello Tim,

I have a square grow tent set up in the basement. The intake is just the air surrounding the tent and exhausts out a chimney vent.

In the neighboring room is the gas air furnace which I'll be using for a couple months (tankless water heater so no constant flame there).

Don't CO2 generators work by burning natural gas? Is my furnace doing the same thing? I'd guess that the concentration of CO2 at the floor near the pilot light would at least be higher than ambient?

I'm sure it's been thought of before. I'd have to snake a duct around there maybe 25 ft. Think it'd be worth it for added CO2?

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

So I did some research and I guess this is a bad idea (but the people warning against it seem to be wimps). I may move my intake just into that room.

BUT, what do you think of this brilliant idea:

Roots need oxygen, right: what if, when I filled the pots, I inserted some kind of air hose capillary system attached to an air pump... Air flow directly around the roots!

I'ma try it. Place your bets now.

Ponky

Ponky

Do not interfere with your furnace exhaust or flame. Don't bother with CO2 in a tent. Unless you're going to buy a cylinder and a regulator and a meter. And use AC. Even then. And I would avoid setting the tent up in a way that disturbs your homes cold air return currents.
But if you must. There are bags of fungus that you can buy. There are cylinders. There is are burners. And there is chemical release kits. Tent is pretty limited. Cylinder or fungus bag.

If you interfere with the furnace flame by creating a convection current to pass over flame it can cause temperatures to be out of range. And destroy the burner or thermocouple. If its a newer furnace it will be so sealed you won't be able to harvest CO2 from anywhere but the exhaust. Harvesting CO2 off the exhaust is of course possible. But. You can't actively put a vacuum on an exhaust of a furnace. And your house insurance won't be alright with it.
Risk reward ratio isn't met.

Reactions: PK1
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

You also get carbon monoxide from gas burning appliances. Which has no odor and can definitely kill you. Bad idea. Also placing your intake near it is a bad idea as well as it can cause the gases to come in your house instead of exhausting out. Not worth dying for

Ponky

Ponky

You also get carbon monoxide from gas burning appliances. Which has no odor and can definitely kill you. Bad idea. Also placing your intake near it is a bad idea as well as it can cause the gases to come in your house instead of exhausting out. Not worth dying for
Yes. Cannot overstate that enough. Risk of death to grow a small batch of weed isn't worth it.

oLd1

oLd1

Off subject but my mom in the’50’s found Hot Water Heather was no place to have your stash. LOL

oLd1

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Alright, concensus is no to the pilot light. Got it.

But whaddya think about air stones throughout the soil? I'm gonna try it!

Observationist

Observationist

Alright, concensus is no to the pilot light. Got it.

But whaddya think about air stones throughout the soil? I'm gonna try it!
If you’re running oxygen to the roots, maybe.

not air.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
if you need more airflow between your roots than why don't you get fiber pots and add more perlite to your dirt. if you have plastic pots you can put more holes in it with a drill, but i guess its more fun to play around with a gas of furnace or blow your house up.

Observationist

Observationist

if you need more airflow between your roots than why don't you get fiber pots and add more perlite to your dirt. if you have plastic pots you can put more holes in it with a drill, but i guess its more fun to play around with a gas of furnace or blow your house up.
yea fuck all that, i just use fabric pots.

can put perlite/hydroton/whatever have you at the bottom to help with aeration and drainage.

but if using coco for example, its great enough on its own.

S

syl

I'm a heating and cooling installer.

I have been in it since i was 12 (now 37)

Yes, it is possible to setup to use CO2 off of your exhaust on your furnace

I in fact plan to play with this, but, I am an expert in my field. and if your not an expert in HVAC, I would highly advise against it.

It is a bit complicated how I am safely going to do this.

In general a modern high efficiency furnace produces a good amount of co2, and little if any co if in good working order.

HOWEVER, things could go bad, and the furnace could not be acheiving complete combustion, in which case co would be produced.

In general blue flame equals co2 byproduct

orange flame equals co byproduct.

I plan to set up a box, on my exhaust, that a fan pulls from with a co2 controller, other than when the grow room is calling for co2, the furnace exhaust will vent outside as is normal.

This is only worth an attempt, if one is sure they have a working co detector on the first floor of thier home (co rises)

Co2 falls.

Suffice to say it is 100% possible, but....... it is entirely not worth it unless one is literally in the field and feels completely comfortable messing with it as a tinkering enterprise.

Mushroom co2 generation would be far safer with less expertise.

I do not recommend anyone except an hvac expert attempt this.

I would not install this for anyone, though I personally am comfortable to mess with it.

ultimately I myself am looking at a mushroom grow room to produce the co2 i desire for my grow.

Even being an expert in HVAC, what is doable is not always the best option.

TLDR It's possible, It's unadvisable.

Observationist

Observationist

I'm a heating and cooling installer.

I have been in it since i was 12 (now 37)

Yes, it is possible to setup to use CO2 off of your exhaust on your furnace

I in fact plan to play with this, but, I am an expert in my field. and if your not an expert in HVAC, I would highly advise against it.

It is a bit complicated how I am safely going to do this.

In general a modern high efficiency furnace produces a good amount of co2, and little if any co if in good working order.

HOWEVER, things could go bad, and the furnace could not be acheiving complete combustion, in which case co would be produced.

In general blue flame equals co2 byproduct

orange flame equals co byproduct.

I plan to set up a box, on my exhaust, that a fan pulls from with a co2 controller, other than when the grow room is calling for co2, the furnace exhaust will vent outside as is normal.

This is only worth an attempt, if one is sure they have a working co detector on the first floor of thier home (co rises)

Co2 falls.

Suffice to say it is 100% possible, but....... it is entirely not worth it unless one is literally in the field and feels completely comfortable messing with it as a tinkering enterprise.

Mushroom co2 generation would be far safer with less expertise.

I do not recommend anyone except an hvac expert attempt this.

I would not install this for anyone, though I personally am comfortable to mess with it.

ultimately I myself am looking at a mushroom grow room to produce the co2 i desire for my grow.

Even being an expert in HVAC, what is doable is not always the best option.

TLDR It's possible, It's unadvisable.
tanks for this, if/when you get around to setting that up, id love to see it.

Top Bottom