Adding UVB lighting to Hps/MH

• Thread starter gumby420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gumby420

gumby420

So right now im running 2 1000 hps and a 400 mh in the middle. i was thinking of adding one or two 100w UVB reptile lights to (supposedly) increase resin production. Ive read to use them 3 times for 20 minutes during light cycle. What do you guys think? Will this have any benefit or just a total waste of money. Thanks

soserthc1

soserthc1

Alot of people swear by this as they feel the blue sprectrum add's resin production , I personally like the added mh light in th mix and would just add a blue spectrum light to this ficture but the added reptile light should not increase your electrical consumption anything noticeable and there fairly cheap. It cant hurt , so if in your means give it a shot...... jmho.....peace soser

S

SmokesToMuch

from my understanding the resin acts as "sunscreen" for the plant. the notion behind adding uvb to the mix is that the plant will respond by producing a denser population of trichomes to protect itself. People that have added it seem happy with the results, check out flowamasta (or something like that) grow journal

gumby420

gumby420

hey thanks for the answers. So i went out today and bought 2 150w uvb lights. threw them up, looks like im getting a decent spread.
But i probably should have mentioned, i am in my 7th week of flower on a 10-11 week crop. i was reading earlier today that UV light should not be used late in flower and will actually degrade the thc. anyone else heard this before?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Naw the opposite thats when its most effective for indoor outdoor the uvb hits em everytime unless in a green houses sum plants respond better than others i seen outdoor buds with no oils and they were hit with mad uvb from the sun just my two cents but i like the idea...

gumby420

gumby420

Naw the opposite thats when its most effective for indoor outdoor the uvb hits em everytime unless in a green houses sum plants respond better than others i seen outdoor buds with no oils and they were hit with mad uvb from the sun just my two cents but i like the idea...

thanks, ya i read a post earlier stating that after the trichome head is past the clear stage it is no longer magnifying and will instead start to degrade. just wanted to double check before using them.

ttystikk

ttystikk

hey thanks for the answers. So i went out today and bought 2 150w uvb lights. threw them up, looks like im getting a decent spread.
But i probably should have mentioned, i am in my 7th week of flower on a 10-11 week crop. i was reading earlier today that UV light should not be used late in flower and will actually degrade the thc. anyone else heard this before?

Can you post a link to where you picked these up?

Depending on the light source, you may need to adjust the distance between the UVB source and your canopy.

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

i got white spoting when i added pure uvb reptile 10% bulbs it late into flowering. it was like the chlorophyl got zapped out the leaf and the trichomes look comersh and dryish. i added 250 mh with my 600 hps bulb instead the next time from the start of flower and i noticed problems, and they were goey nice buds. so that is my experience. they were grown in soil both times with organic nutes

fractal

fractal

I was reading somewhere Ed Rosenthal refuses to smoke anything picked after august 15 because of low UV levels in late summer and fall. Sounded like kind of a prick in the article when he refused to smoke with a guy at the cannabis cup because of that. Guess Ed only smokes light dep bud then or something? There ain't any strains that finish by august 15 that's for damn sure.

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

if ed said
I was reading somewhere Ed Rosenthal refuses to smoke anything picked after august 15 because of low UV levels in late summer and fall. Sounded like kind of a prick in the article when he refused to smoke with a guy at the cannabis cup because of that. Guess Ed only smokes light dep bud then or something? There ain't any strains that finish by august 15 that's for damn sure.
if ed said that than he is a foolllllllll. weed is done when the trichs telllllll u. some parts of the globe and elevations will create different finish times!! i finished my Chemdog D at 4500 ft in september. but my Chemdog D at 400ft elevation is not ready yet and it is november, use a 40x microscope you can purchase any hydro store!

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

were they blasted with harsh chem ferts and ph off water?>

dubble bubble

dubble bubble

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CK2yhcz7r7MCFexAMgodjgIANQ
these the ones youre talking about? never used this type. only the t5s. seem like they put off heat as an additional "feature"? lol sounds like a poor addition to the equation. interested to see the difference in output

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

Can you post a link to where you picked these up?

Depending on the light source, you may need to adjust the distance between the UVB source and your canopy.
LEARNED THIS THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR, GOT WHITE SPOTS WHEN IT WAS TOO CLOSE.

ttystikk

ttystikk

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CK2yhcz7r7MCFexAMgodjgIANQ
these the ones youre talking about? never used this type. only the t5s. seem like they put off heat as an additional "feature"? lol sounds like a poor addition to the equation. interested to see the difference in output

If you read the product description carefully, the 'bulb' is a self ballasted mercury vapor HID inside an enclosure that looks like an incandescent spotlight bulb. Of course it's going to make some heat- show me an HID that doesn't- but the benefits of UVB on cannabis are pretty hard to ignore if done properly. Some farmers are experimenting with it here, with fascinating results. I'm interested in these bulbs because they offer the promise of more UVB delivered at greater distances than the UVB T5 and CFL bulbs I've seen previously.

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

i got white spoting when i added pure uvb reptile 10% bulbs it late into flowering. it was like the chlorophyl got zapped out the leaf and the trichomes look comersh and dryish. i added 250 mh with my 600 hps bulb instead the next time from the start of flower and i noticed problems, and they were goey nice buds. so that is my experience. they were grown in soil both times with organic nutes
i used both
i used these
and an 250 mh bulb mix with 600 hps bulb run without the uvb turned out nice
i think about the same but i have lusher leaves and stout plant with the mh bulb no uvb with the uvb without mh bulb i had problems at first but i move it way back and saw benefits on the side that the bulb shined on. next time i am gonna try adding only a high output regular florescent 2 bulb like this midway so the lower branches get more on top of them and the upper ones receive it from bottom. experimentation is the only way in my opinion. its touchy to replicate the sun correctly to see the benefits to see the positive benefits of these additions

ttystikk

ttystikk

Flowamasta was using a small 26 watt CFL UVB source; he placed it only some 6-10 inches from the canopy. It only affected a few buds, but he reported that they were not only obviously a lot frostier than anywhere else in his tent, but that it was much more potent as well. This can't be chalked up to random variables such as different nutes or strains, as he specializes in runs of just one plant; therefore, the only variable was the light source.

Agreed that intensity is critical with UVB enhancement, just as it is with every other input. I plan to start low and increase until I find out what too much looks like, then back off- and take lots of measurements along the way.

dubble bubble

dubble bubble

If you read the product description carefully, the 'bulb' is a self ballasted mercury vapor HID inside an enclosure that looks like an incandescent spotlight bulb. Of course it's going to make some heat- show me an HID that doesn't- but the benefits of UVB on cannabis are pretty hard to ignore if done properly. Some farmers are experimenting with it here, with fascinating results. I'm interested in these bulbs because they offer the promise of more UVB delivered at greater distances than the UVB T5 and CFL bulbs I've seen previously.
Never knocked uvb bulbs. Im actually all over the forum advocating em. But I only have experience with the t5s. And I really cant afford much more heat in my garden. Definitely looking forward to seeing some results with these though

ttystikk

ttystikk

Never knocked uvb bulbs. Im actually all over the forum advocating em. But I only have experience with the t5s. And I really cant afford much more heat in my garden. Definitely looking forward to seeing some results with these though

Didn't mean to imply that you did- I'm pretty interested in some results, too- interested enough to maybe do some early Christmas shopping?

dubble bubble

dubble bubble

Didn't mean to imply that you did- I'm pretty interested in some results, too- interested enough to maybe do some early Christmas shopping?
agreed! lets see some results! maybe ill do a side by side with and without in a month or two...

Latest posts

Top Bottom