Adjusting light w/ PPFD. How much are you increasing daily? LED

• Thread starter Siz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Siz

Siz

Hello people.

I am adjusting my light levels through the controller and I am not adjusting the height. I have a Gavita 1700e in a 5x5 tent. I am using an apogee ppfd meter to measure my par readings and a dli calculator to make sure I am at the right level.

Well I got my meter recently and I found I was 150 ppfd under the recommended. I tried to do a big jump but the plants didnt like it.

I am just under 400 ppfd under center of canopy and its around 300-350 all around. Recommended dli says I should be at 450ppfd.

I just started Week 6 of Veg. My plants are 16-18” tall and my light is 62” from the top of my pots. Gavita is set at 85%

Am I around the right light levels? Maybe I just increased too fast? I am supplementing Co2 as well so they should be able to handle more dli.

Thanks!

Adjusting light w ppfd how much are you increasing daily led
Adjusting light w ppfd how much are you increasing daily led 2
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Am I around the right light levels?
I look for light stress. If the leaves are curling at the sides, yellowing between the veins or praying, I reduce the light.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

with co2 you should be good where you at for now (~350ppfd), let them stretch towards the light, they will do the job of raising the ppfd naturally for you, and you can regulate light output if needed if you think you gonna run out of room during flower.

read the plants not the meter really. its good to have a ball park with a meter to have repeatability, but plants will tell you what they like or not.

one thing i will say plants under LEDs require more air temp than hps (80-82f) without co2, also more humidity RH60-65% day/night they already start to like it :-)

with co2 i would say 83-85f and 65-70% RH day/night humidity should be enough for them to be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siz
Siz

Siz

with co2 you should be good where you at for now (~350ppfd), let them stretch towards the light, they will do the job of raising the ppfd naturally for you, and you can regulate light output if needed if you think you gonna run out of room during flower.

read the plants not the meter really. its good to have a ball park with a meter to have repeatability, but plants will tell you what they like or not.

one thing i will say plants under LEDs require more air temp than hps (80-82f) without co2, also more humidity RH60-65% day/night they already start to like it :-)

with co2 i would say 83-85f and 65-70% RH day/night humidity should be enough for them to be happy.

I am keeping a good eye. The Banana OG 3 plants on the left is real finicky. I tried to raise a bit but they didnt seem to like it. The platinum cookies showing no issues.

The schedule I am following shows 600-800ppfd on a 11/13 schedule for week one and continues to increase from there. I am just worried I am too far behind unless my plants will be able to jump up 150ppfd in a week.

Should I be vegging until they can accept that amount of light or just go into flower anyway?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I am keeping a good eye. The Banana OG 3 plants on the left is real finicky. I tried to raise a bit but they didnt seem to like it. The platinum cookies showing no issues.

The schedule I am following shows 600-800ppfd on a 11/13 schedule for week one and continues to increase from there. I am just worried I am too far behind unless my plants will be able to jump up 150ppfd in a week.

Should I be vegging until they can accept that amount of light or just go into flower anyway?
I think you should flower soon one week more if so, maybe, cause you already have an even canopy fillled and spread also you are running with a very high density of plants

during the flower stretch they will be able to take more light just let em naturally strech towards lights for the first 2-3 weeks of flower and from there you can start slowly increasing light if they like it.

Go easy those leds bars are insanely strong but with CO2 at 1200ppm, they should be able to handle at least 900-1000ppfd after 4 weeks flowering without any issue.

Always keep a close eye on them and you should be just fine ;-).

Siz

Siz

I think you should flower soon one week more if so, maybe, cause you already have an even canopy fillled and spread also you are running with a very high density of plants

during the flower stretch they will be able to take more light just let em naturally strech towards lights for the first 2-3 weeks of flower and from there you can start slowly increasing light if they like it.

Go easy those leds bars are insanely strong but with CO2 at 1200ppm, they should be able to handle at least 900-1000ppfd after 4 weeks flowering without any issue.

Always keep a close eye on them and you should be just fine ;-).
Sweet! Yeah the plan is to keep an eye on them and flip once they growing again. I just lolipopped them yesterday so I want to let them recover for about a week or less if need be.

My first run so just trying my best! Hahaha!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Sweet! Yeah the plan is to keep an eye on them and flip once they growing again. I just lolipopped them yesterday so I want to let them recover for about a week or less if need be.

My first run so just trying my best! Hahaha!
Looking beautiful for a first run there my friend, gonna harvest some pretty nugs for sure!

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Youll probably find theyll handle more with a thicker canopy. the leaves grow around each other and share the light better but leaves just hanging out on their own exposed to non stop full strength light might find it a bit intense.
Canopy
Par

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Do you let you plant grow into the light or do you lower your light?
usually the light stays where it is and ill start the intensity a little under where i think it should be and yeah I personally feel that the plant is probably more encouraged into the light rather than supressing it with high intensity light. youll get a feel for the plants behavior with time and learn to make small adjustments.

Siz

Siz

usually the light stays where it is and ill start the intensity a little under where i think it should be and yeah I personally feel that the plant is probably more encouraged into the light rather than supressing it with high intensity light. youll get a feel for the plants behavior with time and learn to make small adjustments.
Awesome thank you! I am doing it that way as well but I blasted intensity so ill kick back and keep an eye on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom