Advantage of using old-school HPS/MH over LED

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Cali is still draft such mandates. It is not in effect as of today. Cali cannot just banned outdoor grows a good percentage of the licenses on record are outdoor grows. Just not sure how many are using them these days
Yes. They Can. Newsom is doing it under the whole "Green Energy" conservation movement going on there. He has the receipts to enact it too with all the electricity issues Cali has had in the past and while it may not be in effect it has been passed through the legislature so it is a foregone conclusion that it will be enforced very soon.

I also base this on a company I used to work withs actions. They own one of the largest indoor facilities in the West located in Needles California. They bought truckloads of double ended fixtures to install in their bloom rooms before they started construction. About a year ago they sold off all the DE's and converted all their lighting to LED due to the changes being enacted. I don't think a company that large would take a loss that large if they weren't sure that this is where it is going to go.

The outdoor ban is also being held up but will eventually be enacted and enforced. AFAIU, it only pertains to open grow cultivators. Green house/Light Deprivation ops are exempted. Green house is designated as a structure with at least 8 feet of solid walls. No hoop houses allowed.

This is what was relayed to me through my weed attorneys Bruce and Allison Margolin. That may have changed recently but that is what I understand it to be.

Anthem

Anthem

Yes. They Can. Newsom is doing it under the whole "Green Energy" conservation movement going on there. He has the receipts to enact it too with all the electricity issues Cali has had in the past and while it may not be in effect it has been passed through the legislature so it is a foregone conclusion that it will be enforced very soon.

I also base this on a company I used to work withs actions. They own one of the largest indoor facilities in the West located in Needles California. They bought truckloads of double ended fixtures to install in their bloom rooms before they started construction. About a year ago they sold off all the DE's and converted all their lighting to LED due to the changes being enacted. I don't think a company that large would take a loss that large if they weren't sure that this is where it is going to go.

The outdoor ban is also being held up but will eventually be enacted and enforced. AFAIU, it only pertains to open grow cultivators. Green house/Light Deprivation ops are exempted. Green house is designated as a structure with at least 8 feet of solid walls. No hoop houses allowed.

This is what was relayed to me through my weed attorneys Bruce and Allison Margolin. That may have changed recently but that is what I understand it to be.
Nothing has been enacted. You stated in your previous post they had done these things and Cali has not. Why do I know all this? I live in the shit hole Cali

Anthem

Anthem

Cali has basically put up so much solar power that the like of SCE has changed their billing system. 1 year ago they had ultra low time of use. From like 10pm to 6 am power was about half. Then off peak was a less and on peak was more. Now the just have peak and off peak. They made everyone pick a program. So from like 4-9 a kilowatt is like double

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Nothing has been enacted. You stated in your previous post they had done these things and Cali has not. Why do I know all this? I live in the shit hole Cali
I also lived in Cali and just recently moved away. I go by what my attorneys tell me and what my friends big hitter company does. Maybe they're being pro-active? Dunno....

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Cali has basically put up so much solar power that the like of SCE has changed their billing system. 1 year ago they had ultra low time of use. From like 10pm to 6 am power was about half. Then off peak was a less and on peak was more. Now the just have peak and off peak. They made everyone pick a program. So from like 4-9 a kilowatt is like double
Do you live in San Diego or Riverside County? SDGE's rates are Fing INSANE!

I

Its420anytime

Left san dog in 1994, that state was in sad shape then and still going down hill. Move. Complained when it wasn't legal and complain when it is. Yall elected those guys. If you didn't vote, you really don't or shouldn't complain.

Anthem

Anthem

Left san dog in 1994, that state was in sad shape then and still going down hill. Move. Complained when it wasn't legal and complain when it is. Yall elected those guys. If you didn't vote, you really don't or shouldn't complain.
I live in an area that has their way of dealing with the issues. Homeless they hit the city limits, police find them within about a half mile and just harass them tell they leave. I work in a another area.
As far as moving it is on the plate. But being a native, there is a saying that holds true. If you leave you cannot come back. The cost of house goes up so fast especially near the water so it is something to consider.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Do you live in San Diego or Riverside County? SDGE's rates are Fing INSANE!
I had to see for myself what you considered insane...so I googled, I saw San Diego close to .16 cents a kw/hr residential . 10 cents kw/hr off hours .....ours is .17.9 cents + 15% tax kw/hr.....with no rate cut for off hours...and we'll lose power when the wind blows.....snow falls,,ice storms...but we pay a premium price for a sub standard electrical system....weeeezz gettin screwed too.

Anthem

Anthem

I had to see for myself what you considered insane...so I googled, I saw San Diego close to .16 cents a kw/hr residential . 10 cents kw/hr off hours .....ours is .17.9 cents + 15% tax kw/hr.....with no rate cut for off hours...and we'll lose power when the wind blows.....snow falls,,ice storms...but we pay a premium price for a sub standard electrical system....weeeezz gettin screwed too.
I have a bill setting out at home PC. I will DM you the costs. But I am sure SCE is above those rates. Hell we have to even pay for a decommissioning fee for their failed nuclear power plant.
They sent in a company to replace the turbines and they F’ed the thing up to where they just shut it down,

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Is it known which exact technical detail causes LED not to have the same penetration like HPS? How likely is it that the manufacturers will be able to overcome this?
I think it has to do with inverse sq law along with current efficiency and diode size. The surface area of LEDs combined with young tech and shape of diodes/focus is limiting.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I have a bill setting out at home PC. I will DM you the costs. But I am sure SCE is above those rates. Hell we have to even pay for a decommissioning fee for their failed nuclear power plant.
They sent in a company to replace the turbines and they F’ed the thing up to where they just shut it down,
Hey Anthem is it true about the rolling blackout in Cali that we hear about?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Are you referring to San Onofre?

ninjadip

ninjadip

I think it has to do with inverse sq law along with current efficiency and diode size. The surface area of LEDs combined with young tech and shape of diodes/focus is limiting.
I think because of the lack of significant far red, a very deep canopy penetrating, spectrum in most LED setups is the reason. I think it is a combination of our two reasons.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
to me nothing beats the end product from using mh/hps..
it’s not expensive to use, at least to me.
and still to this day a high quality metal halide light can recreate the spectrum from the sun better than any other kind of light out there..
ex.. Hortilux- Blue Metal Halide..

I

Its420anytime

Simple earth science, spring. Sun is moving close to our surface, earth, the spectrum is blue, ie....metal halide, which is vegitate, as the sun nears and moves away summer to fall. The sun's spectrum is full of orange and yellow, ie...high pressure sodium hps. Then, the only real question was in the bulb itself, how many Illumens does it advertise. Not all bulbs were equal back then. Sylvania, Ge and others, bulb wars, just like HLG and other led companies today.

I

Its420anytime

You could or can grow finished product with either. Most experienced guys used both. My setup was cheaper then than now. Home depots outdoor security lights were easy to remove and manipulate for hanging ballist and light at 25% of hydroponic shop setup. I used an old real-estate sign folded in half, reshaped it approx 45 degrees and spray painted flat white. To this day, cheaper than hydro shop prices.

I

Its420anytime

I love my Led light, but old school requires one swimming pool test kit for ph. Now days if you want to be the perfect text book grower, you need this meter, that app, those nutes, organic at that, like the plant knows its organic or not, an element is a element.
Rarely did we get plant burns with ballasts lights, leds, dont have near as much heat, but have burned more peeps canopies

R

ritoMox

I love my Led light, but old school requires one swimming pool test kit for ph. Now days if you want to be the perfect text book grower, you need this meter, that app, those nutes, organic at that, like the plant knows its organic or not, an element is a element.
Rarely did we get plant burns with ballasts lights, leds, dont have near as much heat, but have burned more peeps canopies
I believe that it's the interaction of the microbiome with the plant that is the secret sauce. ✌️

Latest posts

Top Bottom