Advice needed on topping please

• Thread starter Jonnypierce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Hi I am after some advice on topping, I have frown before but I've normally just let them do there own thing, but this time around I am wanting to try something different and after reading positive things I've decided I want to top them only problem is I have no idea where to chop them and don't just wanna go in there all guns blazing and ruin my plants, there is a picture of the plant now 3 weeks into veg, any advice wud be much appreciated

Advice needed on topping please
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Pinch off the top growth, above the uppermost fan leaves.

You don't want to throw a week's growth away by chopping the plant in half, just that little tassle of primordial leaves.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hi I am after some advice on topping, I have frown before but I've normally just let them do there own thing, but this time around I am wanting to try something different and after reading positive things I've decided I want to top them only problem is I have no idea where to chop them and don't just wanna go in there all guns blazing and ruin my plants, there is a picture of the plant now 3 weeks into veg, any advice wud be much appreciated
what kind of medium are you using to grow in? what size pot is that? maybe wait till after a transplant..

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

what kind of medium are you using to grow in? what size pot is that? maybe wait till after a transplant..
Hiya yeah I'm using canna coco professional and yeah that's only a baby pot I'm gonna transplant them into 50 litre pots soon, so should I wait until I transplant, then top give them a week and then flick?

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Pinch off the top growth, above the uppermost fan leaves.

You don't want to throw a week's growth away by chopping the plant in half, just that little tassle of primordial leaves.
Do I chop at A or B or neither ? I've never done it before as I said

20210722 181307
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I would do the top one only (B).

When a plant has alternate leaves, the branching is not as symmetrical as when they are still opposite. I assume this was a clone?

Ponky

Ponky

You could do A, B or C.... cut it below the crotch of all that top growth. Don't be afraid to cut plants in veg. It's gunna be great. You top it..train it. And get a bunch of nice tops. And no fluff. Use clean scissors. Wash you hands. I like to spray after I top.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

I'd just bend it over 180.
Okay interesting so bend it back down ? Again it's all new to me normally Ive just been letting them do there own thing, I just wanted to get a few under my belt and learn the basics before I started messing around with them too much, so what would bending them over 180 degrees do ?

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

I would probably do A, but B is fine too. Sterilize the scissors first, wash your hands etc. I do mine 3-4 times but I start earlier then the pictures you are showing.
Well my plan originally was to do them a week ago but I asked on here and basically got told I was a moron for even suggesting it 😂

growsince79

growsince79

Okay interesting so bend it back down ? Again it's all new to me normally Ive just been letting them do there own thing, I just wanted to get a few under my belt and learn the basics before I started messing around with them too much, so what would bending them over 180 degrees do ?
Pretty much do the same as topping but you keep the main stem. Just make sure you tie it down low enough that the main stem is lower than the highest branches. It will make a big bush.

Ponky

Ponky

Well my plan originally was to do them a week ago but I asked on here and basically got told I was a moron for even suggesting it 😂
Yeah. You can't do it too early. Or you ruin the yield. You have about a 10 day window for the perfect topping.

Polbeth61

Polbeth61

Hey dude I’m only on my first grow but I topped 2 of my plants without tying them down and I topped 2 others and did tie them down ( tying down is low stress training) and honestly if you just want to top without tying down it’s still totally worth it you just end up with 2 main heads instead of 1 (mine are autos though)

Polbeth61

Polbeth61

If you do LST man I found that you just need to be brave and careful, just loop a bit of non abrasive string round the top of the plant and kinda press the main stem quite hard between your fingers about an inch and a half above the soil and just gently pull the plant over 90 degrees and fix the string to the pot I also tied one around about the bend you just made in the stem and fixed it at the opposite side of the pot( incase it pulled the plant out) it seems a bit crazy and the plant looks a mess but just leave it and by the next day all the leaves will be back facing the right way and looking awesome 😎 it just opens the plant up more and you end up with 10 or12 even bud sites with big heads , you have to keep on top of it though pretty much tying down branches every day keeping them all the same height is essential!

growsince79

growsince79

If you do LST man I found that you just need to be brave and careful, just loop a bit of non abrasive string round the top of the plant and kinda press the main stem quite hard between your fingers about an inch and a half above the soil and just gently pull the plant over 90 degrees and fix the string to the pot I also tied one around about the bend you just made in the stem and fixed it at the opposite side of the pot( incase it pulled the plant out) it seems a bit crazy and the plant looks a mess but just leave it and by the next day all the leaves will be back facing the right way and looking awesome 😎 it just opens the plant up more and you end up with 10 or12 even bud sites with big heads , you have to keep on top of it though pretty much tying down branches every day keeping them all the same height is essential!
Bending 90 doesn't do much for my plants. The next day the main top will still be dominant. Bending so the main top is lower than the branches works best for promoting branching. After a few days the main top will usually catch up to the rest. If not you can just loosen the knot enough to make it even.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Bending 90 doesn't do much for my plants. The next day the main top will still be dominant. Bending so the main top is lower than the branches works best for promoting branching. After a few days the main top will usually catch up to the rest. If not you can just loosen the knot enough to make it even.
+1 I bend over 90 as well - for me each plant is different and I decide whether it gets topped, bent, or left alone they all work - here’s one I bent to far broke and she’s still fill out nicely.

5C5178B6 140B 49DC 8B55 6C3101C1B5AF
FE1D2F21 FD9E 4A2A B652 0F11CB9A7A68
Polbeth61

Polbeth61

+1 I bend over 90 as well - for me each plant is different and I decide whether it gets topped, bent, or left alone they all work - here’s one I bent to far broke and she’s still fill out nicely.
Surely you can’t bend over 90 degrees! If you bent 180 degrees your plant would be sticking straight out the bottom of your pot!?

Top Bottom