advice on commercial grow setup

• Thread starter SuspectOnFoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

hey all.

im moving into a new place with a detached mother in law structure. its roughly 40 feet x 40 feet. linoleum floors with about 8 foot ceilings. ill have a separate space for veg as well as a little more flower space. its a 200 amp panel on the property so i am looking to max it out.

in the past i have done soil. flood and drain with various mediums. and full hydro octagons.

so, what should i make my new place?

part of me wants to stick with 4x8 tables doing about 35 plants on each table using top feed irrigation tubes on rockwool hugo blocks on top of a coco mat. i do like flood and drain over drain to waste cuz i only need to change the water once a week but the drain to waste is a bit cleaner in terms of what the plant is gettign every time it gets watered. no variation in the nutrients through the week.

but, all my friends rave about smart pots with coco and perlite using top feed irrigation.

my other friends swear by growing plants huge like 5-6 feet in 30 gal smart pots in 4x8 trays near ground level just to collect waste water and drain it out, but that method would involve 6 foot bamboo stakes and a shit load of time tying every branch to the stakes, over the years i have come to prefer trellice netting rather than bamboo.

all the new UC set ups look amazing with the vertical lights hanging down between the big bushy trees, but is this recommended for a commercial type set up??

ideally id like to have a streamlined set up so that in between crops there is minimal labor in between crops. i like the disposable nature of rockwool and i am a bit aprehensive about what it would take to clean out smart pots and recondition coco and all that, btu then again i really dont know much about coco or smart pots.

i will air cool my lights as where i live is pretty cool year round, i will do 1000watts lights probably,

my hopes in starting this thread is to avoid potential mistakes and save some money by being efficient. any opinions or thoughts would help a lot. let me know if i left anything out

sedate

sedate

suspectonfoot said:
so, what should i make my new place?

I think you have outlined a number of good ideas above.

I think you should design your grow around a method you are familiar with and know you can do without issues the first time.

SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

This is a really good point since I will need to hit the ground running just to keep afloat as It were. But I was really hoping to hear people's ideal or dream scene. Or what they think would be best suited for such a large scale set up. I'm trying to approach this from a very commercial perspective with less focus on minute quality and more about quantity and managability.

jkbeing

jkbeing

Best to do what you already know for the majority of the grow and start small with new techniques. That way you can dial the new techniques in and add them to the commercial process. I would do drain to waste in coco and hydroton, if I was in that situation. If you need idea's for how to set up the room just mirror a successful grow on this site.

S

swisscheese

20 light flip flop growing however you will get a crop in to upgrade to your dream setup after a run.

MrSnakes

MrSnakes

Hey man I would use big 60L/15G blue recycling bins, fill them with a sunshine mix/perlite combo, and throw 600w bare bulbs in between them. Especially with all that space and if you have 200amp, 600s are the way to go. As far as labour goes the biggest bitch is pruning or emptying the bins after each run. Setting up and rebuilding after each run is always the most labour intense part I think...

I've never done them but I'm assuming using tables with smaller plants in rockwool or something is wayyyy less work, especially soil-less. What do you have the most experience with? I'd stick with whatever has brought you previous success. With large grows my advice is always to keep it simple, leaving less room for error, because if shit hits the fan it hurts a lot more!

SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

thanks for all the replies. I am liking the drain to waste idea more and more.

here is a link to my current inspiration/goal.

http://hightimes.com/grow/nico/6974

funny enough i also saw this room in a "big 16" nutrient ad in a hydro magazine recently

i will post a picture of it below this post

so i think its the same room from a different angle.

for now this is my goal/blueprint.

i am currently in search of a 5 ton AC. the solenoid valves for each table being its own zone on a rain bird timer was genius to me too. smart pots with coco and perlite, using a top feed sprayer irrigation system with a huge back up tank for the RO to be ready at any time!!!! this set up has it all figured out!

is 20 grand enough? this is all going down in december.

Zzz1
Zzz2
SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

here is a picture of the room at a different angle in that ad i mentioned

Hyperion slide2
SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

in that hightimes article they mention a constant pressure out of tank pump made by brighton.

i went to their website and this was the only pump they have listed.

is this a constant pressure pump? it does look like an out of tank pump, which would be perfect if you have a huge 500 gallon tank like they showed in those photos.

im literally trying to analyze and dissect this room in order to replicate it. any help on this process would be amazing!!!!

A

aRiv

a shot without the ad on it..
Indoor003.jpg

that is one sweet room tho! good luck with your build, if you got the room im sure you can knock it out!

SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

thanks for that show without the plants. this will be my daily motivational poster until i replicate it down to the very last detail

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

If plant numbers isnt any issue run high numbers and keep your veg down, result will equal more harvests a year and more money in your pocket...

I would also recommend running something that is re-usable, cutting your costs significantly each round...

Run through this - it is how I mapped my rooms....I think some stuff was deleted from the thread because he had a picture of the same type of setup but with 48 lights.

S

swisscheese

Isn't it pretty easy to copy based off the article you posted? It lays everything out for you.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

If plant numbers isnt any issue run high numbers and keep your veg down, result will equal more harvests a year and more money in your pocket...

I would also recommend running something that is re-usable, cutting your costs significantly each round...

Run through this - it is how I mapped my rooms....I think some stuff was deleted from the thread because he had a picture of the same type of setup but with 48 lights.

lol, realized I forgot the link...
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/soil-sog-grower-needs-mentor-to-switch-to-hydro.25499/

SuspectOnFoot

SuspectOnFoot

thanks for that link. i read the thread. seems like a lot of similar questions being asked. although i am not going to be using beds.

pretty much i am going to replicate that room in the picture above down to the last detail.

does anyone know if this is the constant pressure out of tank pump they were using in that article?

A

aRiv

not sure if thats the same pump but i would prolly go with something you can get locally incase it craps out on you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom