Advice on exhausting out window

• Thread starter bananabud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks so much for the advice and links. This is what I'm going to do and I'm not going to wait to get the humidifier, according to my thermostat the humidity in my place runs between upward of 40% most of the time, seems odd for the desert but I'm about 100 miles NE of Phoenix around 5000 ft. We used a humidifier in the tent but just in the very early stages until they started taking in more water and respirating more, after that stage it wasn't necessary. I've looked into hydro when I decide to try it, I'll do a separate trial tent lol. Yes upgrading my lights is next on my list especially if I can get AC and Dehumidifier dialed in.
Dude I'm sorry I didn't catch you were in the desert. You may not even need a dehumidifier.

Lemme get you a shot of a little humidifier you can DIY

A7B7D348 0048 4F37 9496 78230873FCAA
9FE941D6 4CEE 439E BF3B 1C96642DE1AF

You can buy the parts at house of hydro dot com

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ummm...do tell...? Love to get my hands on some real Durban Poison.
So I was going to link you to a guy named pushrod monkey who keeps this line, but something happened with him and he is gone. 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to post this grow, follow along. I'm sure I'll have extra clones in the process.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
HVAC guys cringe when they hear about people actively pushing air outside of an otherwise central air conditioned space. It really plays havoc with the AC design. You will have a negative pressure on the whole house and will be sucking in make up air on every window, every crevice in the house. You will then force the central air to cool that make up air - which can be significant with a 6" blower working against it.

Better to make the lung room it's own unit and use AC and Dehumidifier to get the lung room air where you want it and exchange air that way. It might seem counter intuitive, but the the electricity use will be less in this scenario.
But all the cool people are doing it 😂😂😂

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So I was going to link you to a guy named pushrod monkey who keeps this line, but something happened with him and he is gone. 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to post this grow, follow along. I'm sure I'll have extra clones in the process.
definitely please do tell 😁 I’d be happy as hell to get a clone for a mother plant

Moshmen

Moshmen

Ummm...do tell...? Love to get my hands on some real Durban Poison.
Well we shall see , they were right here on the farm but haven’t seen em around since they started charging for selling seeds - it’s on my list prolly will keep it going but gonna be a minute or 10

@pushrodmonkey u around brother?

B

bananabud

Dude I'm sorry I didn't catch you were in the desert. You may not even need a dehumidifier.

View attachment 1280488View attachment 1280489

Nice thanks,

View attachment 1280488View attachment 1280489

I'll check it out, something small might work okay. I definitely felt the humidity last grow but there will be fewer plants this time to, so something like this could be enough.

Ponky

Ponky

I have a veg tent in part of the house and it intakes and exhausts from a lung room. And the room the tent is in has an air conditioner. Just a window unit. It cools it just fine. Zipped up and sealed. Not exchanging any air.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

OK, set let's get back to basics. Starting with this picture:View attachment 1280054

And we can do some figuring as to what is needed. Lets go thru this example, and then we can change the drawing to fit your specific needs.

In the standard vented growspace / lung room arrangement, the goal is to condition the lung room to be the desired parameters for optimum growth. A common alternative is what is the best I can accomplish given my space / budget / wife looking over your shoulder / put your issue here. Let's solve for the optimum to start with, so at least we have a target.

Gotta start somewhere, so let's pick a 4 x 4 growspace with a Spider Farmer SE 7000 light. I picked that because @Aqua Man is doing exactly that setup in his garage with a window AC unit, and we can ask him to take some readings if needed.

Assuming the lung room is sealed off from your HVAC system (garage, shed), you can do whatever you want and not impact any other living space. If this lung room is a room in your house, you have to take that into consideration. Will I be using my house AC to help condition the lung room? What if I am too hot and the furnace is running? You might decide to close off this room to make the lung room it's own system, which is where the portable AC or window units come in.

Then there is the humidity. Depending on your grow style you may be putting 10 gallons of water a day into the air. At the height of Veg in a 4x8 I get there some times. This is a problem, more so than humidification. A 50 lpd unit from Home Depot will not handle that load.

So what is ideal? There are tons of caveats. Hydro? Soil? CO2? Lighting? Skill? Genetics? Obviously anything I say here is a generalization.

78*F Daytime. 70* or lower over night.

This would give you a leaf temp of about 74* under LED, which when you run the VPD, you want RH of 51.5% for a VPD of 1.0. VPD needs change as the plants grow in stages. You will either need to control your temp or RH throughout the grow, correcting as needed to maintain proper VPD.

Whaaaa, what's this VPD crap? Again, I am talking about ideal. The VPD you give the plants set the pace of respiration. Think of it as the amount of energy in the atmosphere which sucks the water thru the plant like a straw, or shuts it off. The amount of water, therefore nutrients is what you are controlling with temp and RH.

With the stomata closed, it doesn't matter how nice your nute regimen is, they ain't getting to where they need to be.

OK so what if I can't maintain 78 and it gets to 90F and stays there? It happens all the time. You either adapt and prepare for a weaker harvest, or you don't adapt and the plants go to shit or die.

RH is important for other reasons too - like mold. Bud rot sucks ass. PM can bite my dick. Keeping it under 60% in flower should be a hard limit not to exceed, and lower is better. within the correct VPD range.

So, in the simple lung room example above, if you want to grow proper indoor weed, you need to have both AC and a proper dehumidifier. Size will need to be calculated based on your situation.

If you want to talk specifics, let's adjust the drawing to match your situation and go from there. Need climate info too.
Hi I came across this post looking for some help with my ventilation.
I have a 3x4x5 closet/tent I converted into a grow area. I have 2 sf 1000’s,4” ac exhaust, 5” fan attached to flex feeding into the room, a 1 ga humidifier and a small heater. And a 10” fan.
My problem is, with the door sealed and the humidifier on, temp slowly raises to high 80’s low 90’s. My humidifier basically runs nonstop to keep me around 65% rh. If I crack the door I can keep temps around 80. I would like to be able to figure out if I can get it right with the room sealed. I know I need more air coming in but is it possible I just have my exhaust on too high. Lung room temp 72 rh 51%. I’m going to mess with it later today. But figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

Hi I came across this post looking for some help with my ventilation.
I have a 3x4x5 closet/tent I converted into a grow area. I have 2 sf 1000’s,4” ac exhaust, 5” fan attached to flex feeding into the room, a 1 ga humidifier and a small heater. And a 10” fan.
My problem is, with the door sealed and the humidifier on, temp slowly raises to high 80’s low 90’s. My humidifier basically r
3EA47A01 9550 496E 833F A478E4648121
temp 72 rh 51%. I’m going to mess with it later today. But figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom