Advice On Re-using Outdoor Soil Pots (had Root Rot)

• Thread starter JahLaw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JahLaw

Greetings to all, I am at a point were I cannot afford new soil and have to re-use last years soil. Which is a more sustainable practice I believe and should be encouraged.

BUT, I suffered a great loss last year due to the plants becoming root rotted from over watering an over fertilizing. I am a little worried and need to take good action to make sure the conditions in the soil are not toxic, or diseased, or over potent from last year.

The problem last year, and conclusion was that I was

1. hand flood watering VS. cycle soaking and drying
2. Over fertilizing on top of already well amended soil i.e. I used VERMI FIRE which many suspect to be a contributing culprit,

But to humble myself, now I think it was more about techniques and the grower, than brand of soil and company practices. Many do just fine with Vermi Soils, Vermi Fire blend.

So the plan now, is

1. to on water with H202 first to rid of all living bacteria good and bad.
2. Test NPK with a soil test kit
3. Amend any Nitrogen, Phos., or Pot, as needed
3a. Amend with oyster shell, and dolomite to balance pH.
4. Plant ladies and introduce them to the soil as to not loose any more time as they are root bound (not in a bad way but definitely full) in current container
5. Water with only fresh H20 first two watering times to help flush out old liquid fertz., and basically flush as I water in new plants,
***A New watering technique is now used... of localized to the root zone, slow, deep, and cyclic (wet/dry/wet/dry), and soon slow, emitter soaking irrigation by polytubing to control slow deep method better.
6. water with rich compost tea, to re-introduce good beneficial bacteria and microbes. At least until there are any signs of more nitro needed as were only in early summer/late spring veg.

Is this a good plan?

Should I skip step 5, in case of over moisturizing and re-introducing old bad environment?

I really look forward to hearing what you think.

Many many thanks in advance!

Blaze

Blaze

I think you are on the right track. Based on what you describe it sounds like your problem was from too much water creating anaerobic conditions, not bad soil. There are a few things you can apply to the soil and the plants to help them fight off root and stem rot, like Regalia and Actinovate as well.

Also has this soil been outside all year? If it has any excess salts have probably been washed out from the rain.

J

JahLaw

Thanks for the input Blaze,
Yes def. did some backtracking and determined it to be bad h2o'ing habits.

I did get a large amount of mycilium in some of the pots...were it caused the soil to turn pretty hard in spots like foam, and even some light brownish type myco. build up, BUT so did some other VF soil that I re-used - and even flowered in with no problems...except some large mushrooms popping up! lol.

Yes I will def. use actinovate this year. It's pricey but worth it.

Yes the soil was sitting out all season, and it did rain a good bit this year!

What do you think about the pretty hi heat, 103 F plus, some days already , could this solarize them bad bacs. as well?

Keekee

Keekee

This is just my personal view but having soil sitting outside for a year are you not worried about what you might bring into the grow room? Opps wait a sec looks like ya outside.

Blaze

Blaze

What do you think about the pretty hi heat, 103 F plus, some days already , could this solarize them bad bacs. as well?

Solarization could be something to consider int he future but 104 is not hot enough. You have to heat the soil for at least a month during the hottest part of the year too. Here's some more info to check out:

J

JahLaw

Solarization could be something to consider int he future but 104 is not hot enough. You have to heat the soil for at least a month during the hottest part of the year too. Here's some more info to check out:
Got it Mr. Blaze! Thanks for your kind advice! I will look into that for further reference.

Many blessings!

J

JahLaw

Thanks Mr. Nog,

Great advice, will do on my next pots before I plant.

Top Bottom