Aeroponic Growers: I need help with my water pump

• Thread starter mmmdankbuds420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I've decided to dabble with a small Aeroponic grow to taste the other side of the rainbow. I've only grown in soil.
I met a guy a couple summers ago that had an Aeroponic setup for lettuce. I pretty much learned the basics of how to construct what he had. I'm not stuck on the design or how to grow but rather the water pump used.
He had a pump that did not need a timer. It was a pump that had a built in timer. And I think he could switch between 3 on 3 off or 5 on and 5 off. I cannot remember what the pump was called. I've been looking all over the place trying to find one similar. I cannot find anything like it online and the guy at my local hydro store didn't even have a clue. He even looked online as well with no luck.
If anybody knows what I'm talking about I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks everybody for taking the time to read my rant and help me out Happy growing!

Canappa

Canappa

I've decided to dabble with a small Aeroponic grow to taste the other side of the rainbow. I've only grown in soil.
I met a guy a couple summers ago that had an Aeroponic setup for lettuce. I pretty much learned the basics of how to construct what he had. I'm not stuck on the design or how to grow but rather the water pump used.
He had a pump that did not need a timer. It was a pump that had a built in timer. And I think he could switch between 3 on 3 off or 5 on and 5 off. I cannot remember what the pump was called. I've been looking all over the place trying to find one similar. I cannot find anything like it online and the guy at my local hydro store didn't even have a clue. He even looked online as well with no luck.
If anybody knows what I'm talking about I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks everybody for taking the time to read my rant and help me out Happy growing!

I run an Areo/NFT set up, I bought a sump pump at lowes for $80 bucks and a digital timer running 28 Ez cloner jets problem solved.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I think I'm gonna probably do the same. What are the intervals you run the timer at? I have a manual push button timer with 15 minute intervals. Would 15 minutes be to long to be off or on? Thanks man

Minkus

Minkus

If you wanted, you could just hook a basic pump up to a $20 digital timer like one of these:
http://shop.gyostuff.com/7-Day-Dual-Outlet-Digital-Timer-TM01715D.htm?categoryId=-1

I run most of my pumps on these since they let me get all the way down to the 1 minute mark when I want to try experimenting with different watering cycles. If you're looking to try 3 on 3 off, or 5 on 5 off, then hooking up a standard pump to one of these would probably work just fine instead of buying a specialized pump with the built-in timer.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Hey @mmmdankbuds420 I can't help you out with a timed pump but you can either go the route suggested already or if you don't mind spending a little bit more I know the timer your looking for it is a fixed cycle timer from titan controls the Apollo 3 is the cheapest one but it has only one setting 1 on four off but I find this to be sufficient for any aeroponic usage I believe they have others with multiple fixed times as well but they get expensive this one is around $80 here is a picture of mine I use for my ez cloner and before that my 8 spot mini aero setup worked flawlessly
20140924 013722

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Definitely a little bit more like what I was thinking thank you sir much appreciated

J

Jalisco Kid

If you buy that pump make sure you get those low pressure spray heads and not some misters of aero that need more pressure. you want the container to have such fine mist it rises out of the container at least a ft. I have low presure fogger heads at 35 lb that can do that. JK

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Hey @JK could you attach a link to those fogger heads please! I have a question for you as well about fogger heads and misters, as we all know misters are a pain in the ass to clean it's almost easier to spend cash and replace them but I have not used fogger heads before are they any better? What do you think is the easiest to clean of all the options? What about an electronic fogger that requires no sprayer or pump? Mainly I am trying to ask how do I make my not so ez cloner easier or at least need less maintenance

mekannic

mekannic

not sure where i fit into this conversation but i wanted to share and have been searching for aero threads to join. I am certainly not trying to hijack op's thread.

i have only grown soil or soilless (potting mix) and have for a couple of years been trying to go hydro. found aero and it looks and functionally is easier than any method, dirt, water, or anything in between. my research has shown that when done right it outperforms every single grow method combined by an order of magnitude.

these little sprayers are so easy to make. i need to spreadsheet the cost of one and compare retail prices. i ain't interested in fogger ponics. these little sprayers i make are way too easy and i hope cheap. they certainly have coverage enough to really water some roots.

i started my real world trials last summer when i finished my first bucket. I cloned spearmint easily. never got a tomato cutting to root, not sure why. i ain't that smart.

I have only built three sprayers, and it is still an ongoing experiment to get the numbers, pressures, and spray heads right etc.

I have gotten three things started already at this moment. I started with KC brains TNR, all four sprouted in a paper towel overnight, transplanted to rockwool which i want to get away from and use only pucks, and are doing ok. they are at about week one since sprouting and i have started an extrememly light (like 1/3 recommended strength). I next started with some cucumber and tomato at the same time. the cucumber sprouted in about exactly 48 hours. some move to rockwool and a couple put directly into pucks to see if they could handle it. I had four tomato seeds sprout at almost exactly 72 hours. I was not expecting to sprout any tomato, i have had VERY bad luck with tomato from seed. I still have dozens of tomatoes left to sprout. Not sure what i will do with them if they do.

I used res clear and clone tek from the start for cleanliness and very light nute content. Just now about to get to the point where i am going to start at full seedling strength. right now i am under six 100w eq floros and will be upping that continually as i get my shed built. I think i am going to go all t5s and other various supplemental floros.

it's an outside shed and i have no way to cool it without adding a window unit and i don't think that will fly with the owner.

if you look extremely closely at the towel you can see four little tomato roots and that is a very first for me. I have always had to buy started flats retail. last year i even had an extremely hard time getting pot kernels to pop. much better success with scarification.

I can digress all day long. I feel good about this start. very low nute strength, prolly about a 1/4 of the seedling recipe on the bottle. using an jungle juice btw. and yeah i know you all hate it, but i don't make a dime doing what i do and only put money into it being disabled and completely unable to earn money in any way whatsoever and have zero resources aside from a friend letting me live with him rather than be homeless.

when is a plant's birthday? do i start seedling strength nute regimen seven days after the root appears? do i count it's birthday as when it pops out and cotyledons and true leaves show?

they are about a week old and i don't want to burn these little babies, but i don't want to starve them either. they look green, dark, healthy. no curvy odd shaped crap yet.

can't wait to see what the cucumbers look like. never grown them before.

I am very proud of my aero sprayers, i hope you guys like the looks of them. the one oddball was definitely an out there moment (i don't smoke pot, or do pot in any way). that's a bunch of 22.5 degree elbows. looks cool, the pump is prolly too small and it fits the bucket and under the plants etc but i have no idea how it performs.

i think it looks really neat, but the others are easier to build, cheaper to build, seem more functional, and all around just a way better design.

these are soooooooo easy to make, almost ten minutes each, a killer. and that's with glue.

I wish i could afford the pumps, i would sit around building these things constantly. I can't wait to see some root balls assuming i can dial in my methods and nutes and calculations, pHs, temps. PPMs etc.

please, chime in. i am bored of hearing my own voice and there is just simply not enough aeroponic threads out there. why doesn't anyone believe in this method?

DSC01125
DSC01127
DSC01128
DSC01130
DSC01131
DSC01132
DSC01133
420circuit

420circuit

Regarding the OP's original question, the preset timer from Cap, 1 minute on, 4 minutes off, is probably the best thing to use. I have used a Cap timer for multiple StinkBud aero/nft systems and a cloner with excellent results. The limitation on timers is current draw, so you need to know how many amps the pumps draw and not exceed the max rating of the timer.

mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

I found this cycle timer that is fairly cheap and works PERFECT
then its all up to u what pump how big how much flow/spray.... I set my timer to intervals rather than 24 on I think the roots get time to breath in between feeding is good

Latest posts

Top Bottom