Aeroponics for dummies

• Thread starter tokinupon1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Ok guys so I've been trying to read up on aeroponics and I can't seem to find anything that I trust as good solid info. I'm seeing that true aeroponics and what people think is aeroponics is a confusing run around. What I'm looking to do is dedicate a 4x4 tent to a true aero system. And I hate jumping into things uneducated this isn't something I'm trying to rush or do anytime real soon. So I'm wondering if u guys can school me in true aero and point me in the right direction of either a diy system or a purchased system. Also maybe some links to some solid info or even a good book I can pick up. Thanks guys in advance and please bare with my lack of experience

F

frophead

It is definitely hard to find solid info, especially on Aero. Check out the thread called "uc vs aeroponics". This is one of the best threads I have found on Aero, and it also includes a link to another really great thread on another forum.

I would just absorb as much info as possible, take nothing as gospel until you see hard science behind it and don't be afraid to try things yourself and draw your own conclusions. These I believe are important concepts for any system of growing.

Personally I have read about everything I have been able to find on Aero, some of it twice, three or four times. I believe the best way to go is to use a pressure/accumulator tank, filled with nutrients and pumped to pressure (100psi+) using a manual hydrostatic testing pump, and using a solenoid valve hooked to a cycle timer hooked to a battery, so that power outtages are a non-issue, pump failures are a non-issue and the all-around simplicity of it is beautiful, not to mention the cost effectiveness. This is just the best method I have found, and credit goes to John Guest in the "uc vs aeroponics" thread as I certainly am no expert and do not claim to be one.

Google is your friend, but I will tell you right now if you don't like getting into technical details, and have no patience for attention to detail, I would definitely go another route. Also I'm not sure of your growing experience, but it is important to understand your plants, how to work with them and what their needs are, as well as some concepts in water chemistry, PH, alkalinity vs alkaline/acidic, nutrient antagonism, NPK ratios, the works.

I hope you really like to read! :) Best of luck to you.

B

Bobby Smith

I decided to say "fuck it" and will be setting up an HP aero system as soon as all the components I ordered get here, either later on this week or early next week (clones will be ready in a week, so I don't have a lot of choice on the timing).

Everything I bought so far is listed in the UC vs. Aero thread that Frop alluded to - like him, I've read everything I can get my hands on for the past week - concept seems simple enough to setup (and I'm mildly retarded).

Not sure if I'll do the buildout in that thread or start a new one, but either way the pics/description will be in my "4 600s or 3 1000s" build out journal (just go to the end for the aero stuff).

EDIT: if you're serious, read the think to garden's cure in that UC vs. aero thread.........I've read it cover to cover three times in the last week - it's a great resource.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Thanks guys and I'll be reading through those threads for as long as it takes. Looking forward to seeing your build out and high pressure is the way I'm looking to head. My attention to detail is very high and I've been using ebb n flow but it's well just not as in depth as I would like. Im going to try and use this thread to narrow my questions down as I learn more and if anyone wants to add anything please keep the info coming. Thanks again to all

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i am running two rooms with aeroflos and one room with coco
hydroponics and aeroponics are very similar
the biggest difference to me would be the flux in ph in aero, i have to check my aeroflos twice a day, verses my coco that is once every three days
ec and nutes are almost the same
aero your guna spend a little more time focusing on the roots and airstones are a absolute must

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Bobby smith good advice on the link that thread is addicting 22 pages in and still cranking away very interested to see ur build please go in great detail if u can. I'm getting pretty sucked in and am debating the fuck it route to jump rite into a build. Will see my brain is still trying to figure out a working system alot is still unclear..

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Been reading though and still have a ways to go but quick question what psi are some people running there systems at did some research here at work looking through the Msc book (industrial supply distro) and seems most pumps are maxed at 100 psi but then jump to serious high pressure vessel testers at 1500 psi same seems with the pressure check valves and P switches?

B

Bobby Smith

Mine's gonna be run from 100-125PSI, but that seems to be higher than most others I've found online.........seems like the biggest limiting factor in others going higher was their inability to source an expansion tank that could handle the higher pressures, but I'm a Google master and I found one that goes up to 150PSI - my pump does as well, but I ordered a pressure switch that will regulate the pressure up to 125PSI to not put too much strain on anything.

EDIT: pretty easy to find a pump that goes up to 150PSI - check out Steambrite Supply for Shurflo pumps, they've got the lowest prices (BY FAR) that I found online, and they actually guarantee their prices are the lowest.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Ya like I said was just checking around a catalog at work now that was another ? Because of the nute solution I was seeing corrosive resistant and highly corrosive tanks but price damn near doubles.. So is the highly corrosive over kill or is over kill way to go

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

These systems guys are running and the parts there all using just makes all other systems to be a waste of money.. What sucked me in is the pumps parts pieces ex.. Are stuff I see everyday and stuff that fails,well Not very often a true setup high pressure system really should run for years.. It's nuts with every page I read it blows me away

B

Bobby Smith

I'm gonna have an 80-100PSI pump hooked inline as a backup system; there are numerous redundancies you can build in to your system.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Ya I can see that for sure. Are you going to use bucket style or try and setup posts or PVC.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Can't see ur avatar real well little screen.. Well add a link when u start your build im going to start ordering parts as soon and I get the extra $$.. And Bobby you said u were going to set your system to run at high psi like 120-140 is there any reason why people are not running such high psi? Don't know if you would start turning the nozzles into razor knives for roots at that psi

los0420

los0420

check out stink bud he has a diy aero system that works great and you can modify to ur liking

Top Bottom