Aeroponics vs DWC

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

ecoguardian

Hello. I wanted to get some input or opinions on which grow methods have their advantages.

I was reading somewhere else, that aeroponics gives the roots 99% oxygen, while DWC (dissolved oxygen) gives about 2% oxygen to the roots. Which method is more effective?

I'd say aeroponics is more difficult, because you need sprayers and its possible to break and you your roots die within a few hours if they do break, but is it more effective? Does aeroponics give better yield and quicker grow times?

DWC is kind of easy, since basically you just need water and an airstone, not a lot to mess up. Because its easy, there are tons of DWC grow reports and people showing good systems and getting good results (and bad results). Are the good results just because it is relatively simple and therefore more common?

Do roots thrive better under 2% oxygen (DWC), or 99% oxygen (aeroponics). Which one has better nutrient/air intake?

Love to hear opinions, please.

Well I was going to go DWC, being a fan of aerogardens, and they are essentially just DWC buckets with lights. But after reading this thread, I think I will go half half. After my roots are established I'll lower the water level and run an ultrasonic fogger, So some of the roots get fog and the rest get water... if the fogger breaks down my plants (hopefully) won't be too damaged..

With that said.. if half of the root mass is starved water and oxygen for a couple days would it really hurt the plant that bad? I've heard Hydrogen Peroxide can be used to eat away dead root exposing the good stuff so the roots can grow back.

P

Pluribus.Maximus

Look in the medical section on craigs list for one of these machines. Unfortunately people do not usually last very long on them.
I would agree with what has been said except about %'s. I am prejudice because I make tanks of my own design. My system with the shallow dwc is maybe one of the safest forms of aero to run. I have the drip at top and the dwc aspect to cover my ass if the pump fails on the aero. If I was a production grower with a lot on my hands I would run my rcdwc GM 3000's. If I wanted to maximize my yield and was an observant grower I would use my gm 1000's. If I wanted large plants with less hassle I would run the GM 500's (close to a krusty bucket).
If you want real production but it comes with feast or famine I would run 8" pvc into 12" pvc manifolds to my rez with about 6" between tubes. JK
I recently bought some new 7 gallon buckets and plan to experiment with dwc and i appreciate your lead for the oxygen machine, thank you

T

Trizzle420

Hey there brother, hopefully you still get on here once in a while, if you're still in dwc these days you ought to look up the o2grow system, it uses electricity to separate the oxygen molecules in the water and releases only hydrogen above the surface at a completely nonflammable rate, and ALL of the available oxygen in the water is basically shaken awake to do its best job, you should REALLY see it in action, there's demos on YouTube it's pretty incredible, happy gardening fella

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

It all depends on your situation. I can not have a lot of plants, so I grow my way.TK uses 4 x 4' trays,he loads them up with 12-20 plants. That same area I use 1 gm 1000,1 plant. We both get the same weight because he is a maestro,me I just show up at the end of harvest. He has to maximize everything while I am more or less on autocruise.
The best system is the one you feel the most comfort with. My system requires money,others require more skill.Though my sys without being real observant is a disaster waiting to happen. JK
if i said give me your best yielding method/system no matter how difficult, close watch needed, what would it be?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

For extra aeration Check out my video on Super Recirculating Deep Water Culture
lol,,, Well if i put a waterfall in there it would be the super duper rdwc system with extreme 02 then :)

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

15 years with hydro cannabis, all types of systems. What do I come back to every time? DWC. Why?

It's simple to set up and simple/cheap to run, with outstanding results. No large pump (electricity) like rdwc or aero, less finicky with nutrient absorption. Biggest issue I see are people running multiple buckets, each requiring it's-own and/or differing maint.

Failures in dwc are mostly due to the following reasons:
Incorrect res temps, it has to be between 65F and 69F for trouble free growing.
Too much air being pumped through, causes artificial rise in pH from too much CO2 making carbolic acid. (unplug pumps until pH of nutrient stays stable)
Incorrect nutrient profile causing deficiencies. (The closer to Mel Frank's numbers the better)
Incorrect pH handling causing deficiencies. (Best results come from a pH swing/cycle from 5.4-5.8 and back, completely controlled through the addition of nutrients, not pH up/down)

DWC, when properly run, is the most simple, inexpensive and effective way to grow cannabis I know of. :)

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I find the waterfarms as a recirculating water tube to be everything you said but its recirculating, WITHOUT A WATER PUMP,.....
I grew 3 crops in it as a complete nube and all were almost perfect.
And these are 7 autos on thier last 2 weeks....
Dont kid ppl, these systems work, and they kick ass! Like anything if you dont use good judgement, you will have problems...
I mean dont wash your ass for a couple weeks and you will prob have problems there too....

20160908 003119
20170215 202439
20170215 202544
20170215 202602
20170215 202650
20170215 202711
20170215 202858
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

15 years with hydro cannabis, all types of systems. What do I come back to every time? DWC. Why?

It's simple to set up and simple/cheap to run, with outstanding results. No large pump (electricity) like rdwc or aero, less finicky with nutrient absorption. Biggest issue I see are people running multiple buckets, each requiring it's-own and/or differing maint.

Failures in dwc are mostly due to the following reasons:
Incorrect res temps, it has to be between 65F and 69F for trouble free growing.
Too much air being pumped through, causes artificial rise in pH from too much CO2 making carbolic acid. (unplug pumps until pH of nutrient stays stable)
Incorrect nutrient profile causing deficiencies. (The closer to Mel Frank's numbers the better)
Incorrect pH handling causing deficiencies. (Best results come from a pH swing/cycle from 5.4-5.8 and back, completely controlled through the addition of nutrients, not pH up/down)

DWC, when properly run, is the most simple, inexpensive and effective way to grow cannabis I know of. :)
All very valid points and water temps extremely important...

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I find the waterfarms as a recirculating water tube to be everything you said but its recirculating, WITHOUT A WATER PUMP,.....
Still more points of possible failure than a tub with some airstones in it. Leaks, floats and controller failure points, as well as additional nooks and crannies for biologicals breeding problems.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Still more points of possible failure than a tub with some airstones in it. Leaks, floats and controller failure points, as well as additional nooks and crannies for biologicals breeding problems.
leaks are just free rh in ther room. Your toilet float could malfunction to but how ofter you get to work and someone excuse id the toilet float....
You right with your anology but understand what your saying is hand crank windows are less prone to failure and im saying that i will gladly work on it once if need arrises, where you will still be cranking away. I couldnt imagine trying to individually check and maintain each bucket. It would change the whole aspect of growing for me.... it would suck!

As for your breeding ground, 68 water temps.....

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

You right with your anology but understand what your saying is hand crank windows are less prone to failure and im saying that i will gladly work on it once if need arrises, where you will still be cranking away.
Uhh, no. I set and forget and spend a ridiculously small amount of time with dwc.

I couldnt imagine trying to individually check and maintain each bucket. It would change the whole aspect of growing for me.... it would suck!
Yes, it does, which is why I don't recommend it. One res per strain and light.

As for your breeding ground, 68 water temps.....
Doesn't matter, people have issues with breeding biologicals in rdwc, even with a water chiller maintaining 68F.

15 years at this... :)

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

For extra aeration Check out my video on Super Recirculating Deep Water Culture

Very creative

I recently read a thread about removing air stones. It is working just fine for me. I use an outboard rez (easier to clean without disturbing the plants). As you already have a lp pump you could eliminate the air stones.I like the DIY venturi

hth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom