affordable large light dep designs that work

• Thread starter mountain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mountain

mountain

Of course there are the over the top foreverflower setups for big $$$ -

but wondering what kind of effective large light deprivation setups people can share that are more affordable.

Can tell you right off that most panda plastic does not actually block all light - learned the hard way.

anyone pulling tarp effectively over fairly big hoop houses? How to accomplish it without ripping the tarps or needing a ton of people to move a large tarp?

best tarp materials and sources?

Thanks!

mountain

mountain

Hmmm,

Thanks for the idea.

Played with the farmtek panda film without good results. Standing inside in direct sunlight, it didnt actually block all of the light - kind of greyed out instead of blacked out. And, it got holes in it pretty easily pulling the tarp and light leaks would be baaad...

Any other ideas that have worked well for you?

L

LightDep530

The brand of plastic "panda" type plastic i use is dark as fudge, no problems there. Also have used 4 and 6 mil black visqueen no problem. I definately have seen people successfully use tarps that had a lot more light showing through. I used 3m spray adhesive to put them together and a keep gorrilla tape on hand. I setup a hoophouse inside my main unit with radial arms like the Growbot models. There is some ropes and pulleys that make it a breeze. Its stealth nobody knows I'm pulling it in there.

Attaching a pipe to the edge of the tarp can help it pull. I've seen some cats using an ATV with a setup like that.
Forever flowering sells good light dep tarps as well. A friend has had one for 6 or 8 years. He has a farmtek model as well and it is not as good.

Growbots has automated units up to 12x40 that are affordable

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Hey LightDep,

You seem to know your shit about about Light Dep, haha.. I'm about to pull the trigger on a light dep tarp, but was looking at the farmtek. I wasn't aware of the Forever Flowering breathable stuff. Have you or anyone you know used this breathable fabric if so is it worth the extra $$?

L

LightDep530

No experience with the breathable yet. I know FF's regular tarps are nice. Sounds good, they are pretty professional over there. It probably costs a bunch.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Thanks for the reply. I think it is pretty pricey if I remember correct, but sounds awesome. I think I'm gonna give it a shot this year.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I don't have much moneny and I'm a cheep skate...lol

Today I built a Hoop house and covered it with 6 ml black plastic.
I plan to cover them every evening and uncover when its dark. till they are done around june. :harvest:

Total Cost about 60 bucks

139782d1301794069t-12-5-11-5-hoop.jpg.att

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
the forever flowering breathable tarp is around $1.10/sq. ft.
Their non breathable is around $0.89/sq. ft.
neither let light through, but if you light dep from inside you should probably go with the breathable.

C

caperdude420

this is absolutly beautiful, this is how i wanted to do my green house but with the money situation tight its hard, i have a indoor setup but i want to get a good green house on the go now, i wanted to build a 10 by 10 hute, so how much would it cost for me to get this acually going

C

CaptainKB

I have used the FLOWER HOUSE 'Dream House' (8x8x6.5') for two summers in central CA. They make a black out cover for it that fits snug and is pretty easy to slip over the 6.5' frame. It has vents that let in a tiny bit of light (indirect) but it did not affect the density or timing of my product. Ive been outdoors for 6 years and I have produced my best quality outdoor from this system. The light intensity in mid summer is much greater than in the fall and by black clothing you induce similar conditions to indoor: no dusk and dawn, only on or off. Next year I plan to turn off my lights in the summer and go with only light dep so I can save on power (more $$ in summer months here in Cali). The only drawback is that you have to be on it every day after day or you will have poor results.

C

CaptainKB

Oh, and the 8x8 is about $350 and the cover is $150 or so. It pops up in minutes; add some fans and humidity control and you are off and running in half a day.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I hate manual light depping :depressed: (although, it can be rewarding)
Instaed, I like putting plants outside in a hoop or greenhouse this time of year
12 hour days!;) and upper 70's daytime temps..Gotta love Cali :D

Jbdjb4

Jbdjb4

I hate manual light depping :depressed: (although, it can be rewarding)
Instaed, I like putting plants outside in a hoop or greenhouse this time of year
12 hour days!;) and upper 70's daytime temps..Gotta love Cali :D

I'm about to try just that. Any tips?? I'm in nor cal prob 60s day 30s night, 2600' elevation.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I'm about to try just that. Any tips?? I'm in nor cal prob 60s day 30s night, 2600' elevation.
You might be too late
I dont think the sun is intense enough to flower this late..
It may depend on the strain..
But I do know from experience, Vegging with supplemental lighting works well this time of year.
Just have to keep the roots warm..and keep the frost off of them

I just chopped my last flowering plant today :)
And I put some more out in my greenhouse to veg. yesterday
This a link to my greenhouse thread
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/i-made-a-greenhouse.52982/page-26

Jbdjb4

Jbdjb4

You might be too late
I dont think the sun is intense enough to flower this late..
It may depend on the strain..
But I do know from experience, Vegging with supplemental lighting works well this time of year.
Just have to keep the roots warm..and keep the frost off of them

I just chopped my last flowering plant today :)
And I put some more out in my greenhouse to veg. yesterday
This a link to my greenhouse thread
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/i-made-a-greenhouse.52982/page-26
What if i use some hps to supplement? say 10 or so lights for a 30x50

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
first ever grow was OD I did light dep (crop finished in june). I made a hoop frame 8 ft high and would pull a silver tarp( cheap one u can get anywhere blue one side silver the other) over the top every night and on the sides of the hoop frame i used 1/2 inch styrofoam sheets cut to fit. I clamped them to the frame.
confu

Top Bottom